Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half Ironman in Galway next year

• 19-03-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just saw this article this morning. While it's great to see an event like that coming to Galway I have to question their timing. Is having it on the same month as Kenmare such a bright idea?

Is that 4 half Ironmans in Ireland next year then? I believe the Galway one will be mdot. I guess that means it will be a bit more expensive than the rest of them! :( Hopefully not the case but we'll have to wait and see. Looking forward to seeing the route for this one. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm liking the sound of this. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Should be interesting at what point the council pulls the road closures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »
    Should be interesting at what point the council pulls the road closures

You would have to assume it will be based along the prom in Salthill. This would be the best spot from a spectators point of view and make the most sense for the swim. Very hard to get that closed off from what I hear. From what I understand that is one of the reasons GTC don't use it. It's a great venue for the event though if that is where it will be on. 2500 competitors going down Salthill might get a bit nuts though. Will be watching this with interest. Be nice to have a good event on my doorstep so hopefully it will be just that.

I wonder will they use the new Galway City Half Marathon route or the Galway Bay Half route? Both go via the prom so either would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

+1 on the sentiments above.

As in, good to hear of more HIM events available and how the hell they'll 'manage' the associated road closures and (i'm guessing) contractual safety obligations imposed when using the MDot branding ... it'll also be interesting to hear of the entry fee for year 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I know the two lads pretty well, they were telling me over a few pints on xmas, I thought they were full of sh1te. In fairness to McCormack he has always been a bit of an entrepreneur. I hope it works out for them.

I have no doubt they will charge as much as they think they can get so dont expect it to be cheap ;)

• Advertisement

interested wrote: »
    +1 on the sentiments above.

As in, good to hear of more HIM events available and how the hell they'll 'manage' the associated road closures and (i'm guessing) contractual safety obligations imposed when using the MDot branding ... it'll also be interesting to hear of the entry fee for year 1.

Would imagine its the standard MDOT entry fee.

I'm thinking it will be more Wimbleball rather than st. polen

Would imagine its the standard MDOT entry fee.

I'm thinking it will be more Wimbleball rather than st. polen

Yeah, thats definitely what springs to mind - and Id imagine they will stick with the usual pricing alright - since Id say it cost the proverbial arm and leg to get a 5 year agreement.

In a strangely optimistic twist though (heavily influenced by coffee and it being a Friday) ...
    From an events point of view though, with the right support from the area in terms of road closures etc (and financial backing already helping 'It has been secured with the help of Fáilte Ireland’s Sports Events Development Fund and the Sports Council of Ireland') it could do well ...???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Pardon my ignorance lads but what's the standard fee?
    Also, what's meant by the Wimbleball and St Polen comment? I assume St Polen is a sexy, well oiled operation? :confused:

see the full listing of events here

Taken completely at random - Rhode Island event $225 or $250 depending on when you enter.
    Antwerp - the entry fee is 150 euro for registrations before 1st March 2010. After that date the entry fee is 190 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

UK seems the most expensive... coming in around €350? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

UK seems the most expensive... coming in around €350? eek.gif
    yup, tis expensive - some idiots will pay anything to do a mdot race:pac::pac::pac:

Whilst it might be an mdot race and hopefully will lead to a full mdot IM race at some stage in Ireland, can it be any better than Kenmare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

Nothing on the Ironman official website.
    Best of luck to the guys on their venture. Its great to see that the contract went to locals as oppose to international events companies.

1900 foreign competitors is a tall order. Only 600 from Ireland. I would have thought these figures would be the other way around considering how few international athletes were at the likes of Kenmare, Eireman, Ireman etc..

Kenmare for the full Ironman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

potsy11 wrote: »

Oh God.. and do the entire ROK for the bike section :eek: The run is so calm and quiet, can you imagine that little country road crammed with people :eek:

I suppose 2 laps eith side of the bridge for the swim would be the least horrifying :D

potsy11 wrote: »

Now you're talking. But it might need something more .... maybe run it over night .... caha and healy pass descents at night ... nice :D

Irish roads, irish weather, irish apathy/support.

Irish roads, irish weather, irish apathy/support.

wow - flashbacks to gorey ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

St polten is one of the best halfs to do, the course is great weather is perfect and the stadium is great when you need a lift but im sure they ll still follow Mdot rules and get the organization right because thats what makes a good race even if you have a bad day !

interested wrote: »
    wow - flashbacks to gorey ;)

Possibly the most depressing race I have done... and I was only doing the sprint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

mloc123 wrote: »
    Possibly the most depressing race I have done... and I was only doing the sprint

I wonder what the feeling would have been about Eireman, if the sun had been out and the swim had gone ahead?

Sure, the Plan B was a little patchy, but to be able to bike on a closed motorway (I did the HIM), was a fantastic experience and one that we probably won't get again.

Izoard wrote: »
    I wonder what the feeling would have been about Eireman, if the sun had been out and the swim had gone ahead?

Sure, the Plan B was a little patchy, but to be able to bike on a closed motorway (I did the HIM), was a fantastic experience and one that we probably won't get again.

This is it, if the sun was out it had such potential... all I remember about it now is standing in the rain waiting to collect my bike from transition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

I have to say I was very excited to hear my home town was undertaking this....and let me tell u, no better city to pull off a very successful event, great swim location, great cycle route and I can only imagine finishing the run in a packed eyre square! Should be magical.....well I'm goin to keep positive about it anyway :)

Advertisement