Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic card and PSU for windows 7

Options
  • 19-03-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a machine almost built just need a low grade graphic card and good psu.

Machine so far

Intel Quad Q8300 2.5GHZ
    4 GB DDR2 1066Mhz
    500 GB hard drive
    Gigabyte GA-EP43-ud3l
    dvd drive
    Windows 7 64bit
    22" screen with dvi and vga connections

I have a buget of €80 maybe €90

The computer will be for internet bluray films and football management games no need for over the top graphic card as the game ran on intergrated graphics on laptop. Would like it to have connection for hd tv also.

Power supply was looking at the corsair 400w maybe but open to suggestions.

Thanks for the help
    john

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Can't go wrong with the Corsair 400W. You only need the cheapest graphics card to play blu-ray films these days. Something like the Sapphire Radeon HD 4350 256MB DDR2 will do, it even has a HDMI port to connect it to a HDTV and it's only €26.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Thanks for reply but dont see the graphic card on the compatible windows 7 64bit website

What about Antec PSU 500W earthwatts?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

How much would it cost? The CX400 will only set you back €40-45 and its more than enough for your needs; without a large RAID array and/or a gaming-grade GPU you can get away with very little in the way of a PSU. Even a little Antec Basiq 350W or something would do, but the CX400 is a better bet.

For GPU - even a HD4350 would do but IIRC the HD46*0 series have some extra functionality some may need for multimedia, especially encoding-wise. If a HD4350 isn't enough try hunting down a cheap HD4650 or even HD4630 (same GPU but transplanted onto a low-profile HD4550 PCB) for €35-45.

Solitaire wrote: »
    How much would it cost? The CX400 will only set you back €40-45 and its more than enough for your needs; without a large RAID array and/or a gaming-grade GPU you can get away with very little in the way of a PSU. Even a little Antec Basiq 350W or something would do, but the CX400 is a better bet.

For GPU - even a HD4350 would do but IIRC the HD46*0 series have some extra functionality some may need for multimedia, especially encoding-wise. If a HD4350 isn't enough try hunting down a cheap HD4650 or even HD4630 (same GPU but transplanted onto a low-profile HD4550 PCB) for €35-45.

Thanks for the advice just I see an antec psu which is 15 month old one on adverts but its set at €50 but considering i can get it for €66 new i think i can bargain

On graphic card it would have to be standard size as i have a coolermaster elite 330 case.

How about amazon for a gpu as i see some with free shipping like this its €33 or this for €35

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

jhud wrote: »
    Thanks for reply but dont see the graphic card on the compatible windows 7 64bit website

It's there alight.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Sapphire%20Technology%20HD%204350%20512MB%20DDR2%20PCI-E%20Graphics%20Card&v=Sapphire%20Technology&uid=&pf=7&pi=3&c=Graphics%20Cards%20%26%20Components&sc=Graphics%20Cards&os=32-bit

It will do the basic jobs fine, but as Solitaire said if you spend a bit more you'll get more.

• Advertisement

I have found a OCZ Stealthxstream 400w at a good price what do you think verses the Corsair 400W. From some reviews they both seem to be good.

Decided to go with a Ati HD 4650 1GB for the graphic card.

Less reliable (especially fond of fan failures, a problem across the whole range) and IIRC lower 12V capacity and efficiency than the CX400. Not really fond of OCZ at all; they have a real talent for picking cack OEMs :o

I found that the oem is Channel well on th OCZ the review is this the corsair is also here

Thanks for the info

WTF?!

Must have got it mixed up with the Fata1ity, which is low-end Sirtec ****. For some reason OCZ actually made a good decision and switched from FSP to CWT for the 400W version of the SXS :confused:

So this is were the psu details are like the models and oems used for info.

Also going on this what do you think of this

The corsair has 6 sata where this ocz has 4 sata but i dont intend to have that many 4 is even too much.

• Advertisement

Depends on which is cheaper; both look like very solid units. The other 400W OCZ units (all Sirtec) should be avoided but the 400W SXS looks like a bit of a sleeper hit if available for cheap - didn't know CWT had any entry-level DSA units available outside Asia :)

BTW godly link :D

Thanks for the help I decided to go with the corsair 400w and a sapphire 1GB hd 4650 with komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jhud wrote: »
    just for reference, i got one of those from komplett a few weeks ago and it works fine with both win7 32 and 64 bit.

plays all video's fine, even HD without issues and it's silent as there's no fan on it at all.

i even managed to get the just cause 2 demo running on it at low res with all the fancy stuff turned right down. :)

Advertisement