Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian citizenship by decent

Options
  • 19-03-2010 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Has anyone been through this? Did you fill out form 118?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

Yep, did it for my little girl last year. Used the 118 form.

Why - whats up?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

I am doing it for my daughter as well. I think I have it sorted but it says the person certifiying the documents must be an Australian citizen that is in a certain occupation.

What if you don't know any Australians in the correct occupation?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

I can't remember who we had fill out the dec. I do know that we were in the same boat - didn't know any Aussies.

But, the form says

If the child is overseas (and is under 6 years of age) the photograph may be endorsed by a citizen of the child’s country of residence who belongs to one of the professions or occupations listed on page 2.

I think we had my wife's friend, who is a nurse, fill it out.

The people who look at the form aren't stupid - so you can put a sticky note on it saying "the baby is only 6 months old, and we don't know any Aussies, so we hope this persons declaration will suffice. Thanks".

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

Nice one, thanks. We will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I went through this about a month ago, and as we're overseas, we got a non-australian to sign it. he was a friend & was a doctor.

The question on form 118 says "I have known the applicant for [ ] years." My son was just born, so we put 0, and next to it wrote "since birth"

The process took us about 2 weeks (from Switzerland anyway)

Once citizenship has arrived, get cracking on the passport - now THAT is a pain in the arz. If you are overseas, you'll have to go to the embassy for an interview. We've just had to drive 3 hours to Geneva for a 15 minute interview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement