Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox live \ ports \ epc2425

• 19-03-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I posted this in the xbox section but maybe I'll get a better response here.

Bit of a problem with my xbox live. 75% of the time I get kicked out of games, beit halfway through a game or near the start. Its beginning to get on my nerves to say the least. The blood is boiling!

Anyways, I recently moved house with a NTL connection of 10mb through a cisco epc2425 router. I can't use my xbox wireless adapter at all (for example I play MW2 and it just jumps all over the place straight away and sometimes I get kicked) so I've a direct cable going to the router.

The nat can change from open to moderate and on the rare occasion strict. I don't know how its changing but on all settings it still boots me out of games.

I finally was able to access the router via "http://192.168.1.1/" and got the password for it, but I don't know where to take it from here. I presume I need to open certain ports and/or change my nat settings to be constantly open?

I enabled UPnP via Advanced settings >> Options, that should set my nat to open if google is telling the truth!

I read on the microsoft websites the following may need to be open:
    • TCP 80
    • UDP 88
    • UDP 3074
    • TCP 3074
    • UDP 53
    • TCP 53

I've attached a screenshot of the cisco router page, if anyone can direct me from here it would be great.

cheers folks
    Trilla

Also, has anyone heard of people on the 10mb package getting upgraded to 15mb?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

got the following from this link

Regarding step 3, do I need to do this step to open the ports in step 4?

Step 1: Get your Xbox 360's IP address from the system blade and choose network settings. Then edit settings should show your Xbox's IP.

Step 2: Go into your routers configuration window thru Internet Explorer. In the address bar type in your routers IP address. It should be default at 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1. When you're prompted for a password you have found it =P. If you haven't changed it the username and password should both be admin, and admin.

Step 3: USING DMZ When you enter into your router config window, you need to find the Tab DMZ, it should be under applications and gaming if you are using Linksys. Once you find the DMZ tab, click enable and type in the last digits of your XBOX into the box below. Yes when you do this you are opening all the ports on your Xbox, which is insecure, but show me someone that has hacked into an xbox 360?
    <MAKE SURE YOU SAVE SETTINGS>

Step 4:Using Port Fowarding After you have enabled DMZ, find the Port Fowarding tab, should be under advanced routing. For the name type in XBL or whatever you want, and for port range put 87 to 89, choose UDP, then your XBOX last digits, and enable. Then do 3073 to 3075 choose TCP, then your XBOX last digits, and enable. Then again do 3073 to 3075 choose UDP, then your XBOX last digits, and enable.

Step 5:Using UPnP This is just incase. Go into UPnP fowarding and enter in the same stuff you did for Step 4.

Step 6: Now logout of your router config. Unplug your router and modem from the power, then plug in the router 1st, wait 30 seconds. Then plug in the modem and wait at least 2 minutes. If you don't do these hard restarts it might not work!

in the hope someone can help me out here!

Xbox live dropping on me again.

I went to port forwarding on the router with ranges 87 -89 UDP, 3073-3075 and 53-53 for both TCP and UDP

I enabled the Upnp

Entered my xbox IP in the DMZ so it would bypass the firewall

Seemed okay for 3 days or so. My mate was playing pro evo and Ive been playin MW2 without fail until today. I then went to port filtering (different section to forwarding) with the same ports and couldnt connect to the web with the laptop afterwards

Did a speed test - showed 7848kb/s and Upload of 832kb/s so its not speed related.

Any ideas?

thanks
    Trilla

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Trilla wrote: »
    in the hope someone can help me out here!

Xbox live dropping on me again.

I went to port forwarding on the router with ranges 87 -89 UDP, 3073-3075 and 53-53 for both TCP and UDP

I enabled the Upnp

Entered my xbox IP in the DMZ so it would bypass the firewall

Seemed okay for 3 days or so. My mate was playing pro evo and Ive been playin MW2 without fail until today. I then went to port filtering (different section to forwarding) with the same ports and couldnt connect to the web with the laptop afterwards

Did a speed test - showed 7848kb/s and Upload of 832kb/s so its not speed related.

Any ideas?

thanks
    Trilla

Have you turned off the Firewall in the Modem? and disable the IP Flood Protection.
    My surfing was TERRIBLE with an 80ish% packet loss and 150ms+ ping until i turned of the Firewall and now 0% packet loss and 5ish ms ping!

My main problem is when i had P2P stuff open, but that doesn't matter now since the firewall is turned off.
    I have firewall on my PC so the Modem one is secondary and was only causing problems!

Have you turned off the Firewall in the Modem? and disable the IP Flood Protection.
    My surfing was TERRIBLE with an 80ish% packet loss and 150ms+ ping until i turned of the Firewall and now 0% packet loss and 5ish ms ping!

My main problem is when i had P2P stuff open, but that doesn't matter now since the firewall is turned off.
    I have firewall on my PC so the Modem one is secondary and was only causing problems!

Would suppling my xbox's IP address in the DMZ section not bypass the FW?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Would suppling my xbox's IP address in the DMZ section not bypass the FW?

Not that I'm aware of, thought it might, and it's the IP Flood Protection that's catching you.
    Why not disable BOTH and see if that solves the problem (which I'd be pretty certain it would. If you have a look on other threads here about bad connections / unable to surf while downloading, you'll see that for most people disabling the firewall / IP Flood Protection fixes all their problems. I know it did for me!)
    I use my xbox all the time, stream skyplayer etc... and no problems since turning off the FW.

• Advertisement

Not that I'm aware of, thought it might, and it's the IP Flood Protection that's catching you.
    Why not disable BOTH and see if that solves the problem (which I'd be pretty certain it would. If you have a look on other threads here about bad connections / unable to surf while downloading, you'll see that for most people disabling the firewall / IP Flood Protection fixes all their problems. I know it did for me!)
    I use my xbox all the time, stream skyplayer etc... and no problems since turning off the FW.

Cool thanks for the reply. I'll try figure it out and give it a go, seeing as I've done the Upnp, DMZ and port forwarding settings and still it drops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

As far as I know, the port *filtering* actually prohibits traffic to those ports, so make sure to clear those entries again. Maybe I'm wrong, but thats my understanding of filtering rather than forwarding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Seems like you may have over cooked the goose here, from my experience - we're running 4 xboxs on the same router (it rocks lol), 2 things you have to do here setup upnp for playing media over the network on your xbox and place the xbox in the DMZ, once done goto I think internet test on the xbox itself and run a check it should come up with your nat settings as open, if they're currently open could be something wrong with.....cabling, router or on the service providers side if you connection is bouncing lots try removing splitters from the phone cable...clear the logs on the router and see if that makes and noticable difference.

Right lads thanks for all the comments, greatly appreciated. I should know half this sh'it myself but first time coming across probs with my xbox live / internet.
    Viper_JB wrote: »
    2 things you have to do here setup upnp for playing media over the network on your xbox and place the xbox in the DMZ

Done that! I didnt do any port filtering, just port forwarding on the ports mentioned below, 87-89 etc
    once done goto I think internet test on the xbox itself and run a check it should come up with your nat settings as open, if they're currently open could be something wrong with

Yep its open
    .....cabling, router or on the service providers side if you connection is bouncing lots try removing splitters from the phone cable...clear the logs on the router and see if that makes and noticable difference.

Okay I'll check out clearing the logs. I'm not the greatest with the network side of things (and I've a software engineering degree :eek:), should be easy to find.

Tonights been awful again. I've been stuck on 69 in COD for God knows how long :(. Tried both my network adapter and direct cable. Network adapter works worse than the cable (in that the cable just boots me at random times), the wireless adapter sometimes makes the game gittery and eventually kicks me - kinda the same way when you lose connection to the host.

What puzzles me the most is that the Ps3 works no hassle along with 3 laptops in the house, and the same results happen regardless if all 5 machines are on or just the xbox alone.

AAAHHHHH :mad:

I'm going to explode. Could only get on tonight for 3 minutes and it went. Think I'm gonna have to get NTL to come out and look at it. The thoughts of dealing with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

I'm going to explode. Could only get on tonight for 3 minutes and it went. Think I'm gonna have to get NTL to come out and look at it. The thoughts of dealing with them

Trilla, I'm also on NTL and don't have any of the issues you have. My NAT setting was OPEN, out of the box, I didn't need to do any configuration.

Question, is your xbox connected directly to the Cisco unit or does it go through a Netgear router (or similar) ? I suspect the fact your NAT status is changing is causing your issues - a mate of mine having similar issues.

I've 20mb package, my NTL feed is plugged into the Cisco box, which in turn is connected via cat5 to my Netgear. My xbox is connected directly to the Netgear with cat5. I was using wireless (G standard) beforehand, worked ok also, but since moved the NTL box so now have it hard wired.

Enigma IE wrote: »
    Trilla, I'm also on NTL and don't have any of the issues you have. My NAT setting was OPEN, out of the box, I didn't need to do any configuration.

Question, is your xbox connected directly to the Cisco unit or does it go through a Netgear router (or similar) ? I suspect the fact your NAT status is changing is causing your issues - a mate of mine having similar issues.

I've 20mb package, my NTL feed is plugged into the Cisco box, which in turn is connected via cat5 to my Netgear. My xbox is connected directly to the Netgear with cat5. I was using wireless (G standard) beforehand, worked ok also, but since moved the NTL box so now have it hard wired.

Hey thanks for the reply.

I just have the one device (epc2425 connected by network cable straight). In my old house I had two devices, cisco and netgear like you. That ran smoothly. 20mb too and connected wireless via the network adapter.

It just keep dropping. The connection never worked properly with the network adapter in my current address. When I do finally get a connection via the cable, the game runs smoothly. Then all of a slap it would disconnect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Hey thanks for the reply.

I just have the one device (epc2425 connected by network cable straight). In my old house I had two devices, cisco and netgear like you. That ran smoothly. 20mb too and connected wireless via the network adapter.

It just keep dropping. The connection never worked properly with the network adapter in my current address. When I do finally get a connection via the cable, the game runs smoothly. Then all of a slap it would disconnect.

Well the upc support are actually ok, once you get put through the 2nd level guys- can take some time though.

I would suggest the following.

Cisco unit - revert to factory settings
    Netgear - revert to factory settings and connect via cat5 to your Cisco unit
    Connect your xbox via cat5 directly to Netgear, not Cisco.

The default admin passwords for those devices are readily available online.

This matches your previous configuration, also mine. I suspect there is a NAT issue with your Cisco unit. I would also ensure your are running the latest available firemware for both units.

You may need to get onto UPC, just in case they need to re-initialise something on their end, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CapBean

Just read your post about NTL and Xbox live.
    Getting NTL installed this Thursday.

If your still having problems I found the following website useful for setting up routers and port forwarding.

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/XboxLive360/XboxLive360index.htm

You mentioned that you have used fixed ip addresses.
    Have you disabled the DHCP server?
    For fixed ip turn the DHCP off and for automatic ip turn it on.

Just my 2 cents worth,
    Hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

This will give your xbox a real internet address no firewall or port forwarding needed.
    To do this just change the setting under gateway mode to bridge.
    Be careful with gateway mode tho, if you have a PC connected to the Cisco while its in bridge mode you'll need a good firewall on it since you'd be directly exposed.
    If it works for you in gateway mode with the xbox then leave your xbox directly into the Cisco and connect your linksys WAN port into another port on the Cisco and you can use that as a router for the rest of the stuff on your lan. Also disable the wireless on the Cisco and let the Linksys do that too.

Aaagh after 2 weeks almost of no probs, its acting up again and has been since 5pm ish. fook sake! I cant give my Xbox a fixed IP just wont work so its on automatic with DHCP. My NTL drops at midnight too for 2-3 minutes also. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

I know this is an old thread but just wondering did you ever get sorted. Xbox in the house at the minute is at this malarky. Pure disaster when playing Fifa.
    Also have UPC and their ****ty router

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CapBean

Hi all,
    I had similar connection problems trying to connect to Xbox Live using the UPC router. I made the following changes and I've had no problems since.
    If you login to the router and change the following it may help you solve your connection problems. I'll list out the settings I use below, it may help.
    Login & go to
    Basic Settings - IP LAN Management
    If your using the DHCP Server then check the Lease time. If this is set too low you will get disconnected after a set period of time.

Advanced Settings: Options, change the following to
    WAN Blocking Disable
    Ipsec PassThrough Enable
    PPTP PassThrough Enable
    Remote Config Management Disable
    Multicast Enable Enable
    UPnP Enable Enable

Now go to Firewall : Options,
    Filter Proxy Disable
    Filter Cookies Disable
    Filter Java Applets Disable
    Filter ActiveX Disable
    Filter Popup Windows Disable
    Block Fragmented IP Packets Disable
    Port Scan Detection Disable
    IP Flood Detection Disable
    Firewall Protection Enable

I also have PC's connected to this router both wired and wireless.
    I've left the PC firewalls on and have virus software intalled.
    Since I made the changes above I've had no problems connecting to Xbox Live or the PC's.
    If your still having problems, ring UPC and get them to check the cables going into your house. Old cables can pick up interferance which may also be your problem.

Good Luck, Hope the above helps,
    CapBean.

Advertisement