Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The benefits to quitting!

Options
  • 19-03-2010 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭

I've had a quick look through the posts here on this forum and I don't think anyone has started one like this yet, surprisingly. I think it would be encouraging for others and cathartic for yourself if everyone posted up the benefits they've experienced since quitting smoking. I don't want to sound preachy and I don't want to offend anyone who chooses to smoke (but I'm presuming most people who look at this thread have either quit or are thinking about it...maybe this will give you the push you need)...it is your choice but this is just an honest account of someone who smoked like a chimney, defended it when others lectured me but am seeing it for what it really is. It's just another side of the coin.

Here's mine:

1) I don't smell. Don't think I realised how bad I smelt 'till I quit and smelt other smokers' clothes, hair and breath. Really, really repulsive.

2) I can breathe! I always had a bit of a wheeze when I smoked and now I can breath so much easier with nothing inhibiting it.

3) I've a few extra Euro in my pocket to spend on whatever I please.

4) My face is no longer a kind of greyish colour anymore.

5) I don't get anxious after a cigarette. This is probably the biggest advantage for me. People argue that smoking calms you....that's the biggest load of poo I've ever heard. Smoking increases your heart rate and blood pressure and if I had a smoke to "calm" me during a stressful period, I'd always feel even worse after -I'd have mini anxiety attacks and I'd have to wait 5 minutes 'till the anxiety passed. Rinse and repeat.

6) Walking up the stairs to my apartment doesn't knacker me anymore.

7) I don't suffer from the self-loathing and utter disappointment in myself I went through after every fag I smoked.

8) The fact that I'm respecting my body finally is rubbing off in other areas of my life. Self esteem comes from liking yourself first and foremost..and you don't really respect and love yourself if you smoke like a chimney and essentially poison yourself. That might sound extreme but it makes sense. Smoking makes no sense.

9) People (men) commented in the past that I was an attractive girl...but that smoking didn't suit me and it was a total turn off. Probably not a nice thing to say but they were just being honest. I used to go on the defense even though I knew deep down they were right. I used to only go for smokers myself in the past (probably because I knew I stunk and non-smokers wouldn't touch me with a barge pole)and now that I'm seeing smoking for what it is....smokers are becoming less and less attractive. Somebody who had the courage and the strength to quit is more attractive in my eyes and shows they've a bit of respect for themselves.

10)Because I feel healthier, I'm making an effort to be healthy all round with a better diet and more exercise. Win win situation.

11) Nice to know that there's a real chance I might live beyond 60.

12) Just the general feeling that I've achieved something very difficult on my own and I'm doing it. Nice feeling.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences. Well done to everyone who managed to quit, by the way. You've quit the most addictive drug known to man. Fair bleedin' play to ye!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Well done Eve and keep it up.

A lot of the benefits you mention are discussed in Alan Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking". I'd really recommend it having failed before at quitting.

Personally, the ability to breadth without wheezing is a real bonus! Means that I can actually run for longer than about five minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Hey Mezcita....yep, I read his book and that's what helped me quit. A lot of what I said above is pretty much what he said. He spoke the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    1) I don't smell. Don't think I realised how bad I smelt 'till I quit and smelt other smokers' clothes, hair and breath. Really, really repulsive.

I agree with every single point but this one resonates more than any other. I take pride in my appearance, I love fashion/make up/glamming it up and I never really realised that I must have stank. I'm actually blushing typing this as the fact that I spend time on my appearance, bath in the evening, shower in the morning, have spotless hair and clothes and spend time applying my make up and yet I REEKED of smelly disgusting fags. When I'm in close proximity to a smoker now and they've just been out for a smoke it honestly makes me gag......to go around with such rotton breath is something I never realised until I quit! Eeeeek!:eek:

Isn't it odd how you don't smell it from yourself when you're a smoker? I have to agree with you there, Miss Fluff. I don't spend all that much time getting ready the morning but personal hygiene is my bug bear. I can't think of anything more disgusting than someone with bad breath (no excuse in this day and age) and I believed this when I was a smoker as well. If someone had a stinky breath or smelled of stale B.O., I'd would inevitably be disgusted and give them a wide berth. I cringe when I think of all the people that must've avoided me in the past and of all the non-smoking men who must've gagged when they kissed me. I was all smug thinking I looked and smelled perfectly grand when no doubt I must have repelled so many people. Not anymore!! Woohoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

In total agreement ladies. I am the same, pride myself on looking my best, but my god I must have just stank. The shame of it. Even coming in from having one at work and then meeting your boss or a client or something.

I am proud of myself. I love that feeling. This is the first time in my life that I really really feel - hey, I am just brilliant. Fair play to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

How long ago did you give up?

I gave up 54.5hrs ago, i know it's daft but i'm literally going hour by hour at the moment!!!

I'm currently in work, every few hours i'm just wanting a smoke and feel ready to crack but i'm stronger than this, i'll be in bed at 8, get up at 5 and that'll be another 8hrs gone.

Agree with all ya said though, especially about the fitness part, i took my new pup for a walk last week, must have walked 2 miles or so, i could feel my chest wheeze and it wasn't good.

I've also got to admit though, i did love smoking!!!, Why? Fcuk alone knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I fell off the wagon 6 days ago after a smoke free 9 and have been disgusted with myself ever since. After reading this thread I'm gonna give it another go as I definitely noticed all of the above towards the end but couldn't stick with it. Nicorette gum helped quite a lot and I reckon if I can go at least 21 days I'd have kicked it for good. Let's hope I can post here come 20th April

Thanks folks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

Thanks for this... i'm on Champix at the moment and reading Alan Carr's book, i'm 30 in 2 weeks and thought i'd like to be off them by then. My stop day is Sunday!! :(

it's great reading all the benefits because i'm still a bit wobbly about giving up altogether...

I WILL do it though...:cool: My car stinks, my apartment stinks and has to be sprayed with air freshener every day.. and i suppose after all that's been said all the perfume and deodorant in the world is not going to cover the smell off me!! :o

I'll report back in a couple of weeks.. thanks again for the thread Eve.. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Great thread and a nice reminder to all us quitters, on my 13th day and feel a bit rotten ie think my body is getting rid of the nicotine and other smoking crap, have gone cold turkey and otherwise finding it great re some of the positive points mentioned( now if I could only get the Missus of them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I've had a quick look through the posts here on this forum and I don't think anyone has started one like this yet, surprisingly. I think it would be encouraging for others and cathartic for yourself if everyone posted up the benefits they've experienced since quitting smoking. I don't want to sound preachy and I don't want to offend anyone who chooses to smoke (but I'm presuming most people who look at this thread have either quit or are thinking about it...maybe this will give you the push you need)...it is your choice but this is just an honest account of someone who smoked like a chimney, defended it when others lectured me but am seeing it for what it really is. It's just another side of the coin.

Here's mine:

2) I can breathe! I always had a bit of a wheeze when I smoked and now I can breath so much easier with nothing inhibiting it.

3) I've a few extra Euro in my pocket to spend on whatever I please.

4) My face is no longer a kind of greyish colour anymore.

5) I don't get anxious after a cigarette. This is probably the biggest advantage for me. People argue that smoking calms you....that's the biggest load of poo I've ever heard. Smoking increases your heart rate and blood pressure and if I had a smoke to "calm" me during a stressful period, I'd always feel even worse after -I'd have mini anxiety attacks and I'd have to wait 5 minutes 'till the anxiety passed. Rinse and repeat.

6) Walking up the stairs to my apartment doesn't knacker me anymore.

7) I don't suffer from the self-loathing and utter disappointment in myself I went through after every fag I smoked.

8) The fact that I'm respecting my body finally is rubbing off in other areas of my life. Self esteem comes from liking yourself first and foremost..and you don't really respect and love yourself if you smoke like a chimney and essentially poison yourself. That might sound extreme but it makes sense. Smoking makes no sense.

9) People (men) commented in the past that I was an attractive girl...but that smoking didn't suit me and it was a total turn off. Probably not a nice thing to say but they were just being honest. I used to go on the defense even though I knew deep down they were right. I used to only go for smokers myself in the past (probably because I knew I stunk and non-smokers wouldn't touch me with a barge pole)and now that I'm seeing smoking for what it is....smokers are becoming less and less attractive. Somebody who had the courage and the strength to quit is more attractive in my eyes and shows they've a bit of respect for themselves.

10)Because I feel healthier, I'm making an effort to be healthy all round with a better diet and more exercise. Win win situation.

11) Nice to know that there's a real chance I might live beyond 60.

12) Just the general feeling that I've achieved something very difficult on my own and I'm doing it. Nice feeling.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences. Well done to everyone who managed to quit, by the way. You've quit the most addictive drug known to man. Fair bleedin' play to ye!

i'm 29 and have been smoking since i was 13 years old. i have decided to go cold turkey and so far have stayed off the fags for 5 days now.

i must have tried 1000 times to give up in the past; hope this time it works for me. i smoke alot.

anyway thanks eve, think i'm going to print out your reasons and ever time i think i cant stick it i'll have a read.

i'm a big guy i'm not used to being beat and i'm not going to let these fcuker beat me (i hope)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Miss_Ellie

This is a great thread. Well done!

It's nice to be reminded of the benefits of quitting - and is great for those comtemplating giving up. There IS life after cigarettes....an it can have much more benefits than you ever imagine!!

I love the fact that my chest feels clear and doesn't have that horrid sticky cloying feeling that it alway had when I was smoking.

I also love that I have more energy. Loads more infact. Cigarettes used always drain my energy. If I was doing housework or anything I would have to wait til I was done before I could have a cigarette.

Also my car, clothes, pillow, hair, house etc etc doesn't stink.

So, it's all good!!!! :D

Hey guys...delighted my reasons have given you more encouragement. I promise you will be adding to them once you've stopped yourself.

Oh and another benefit I forgot to put down...hangovers are not half as bad as they used to be. I might feel a little bit tired the next day and that's it. Every Sunday morning I wake up without that horrible self-loathing I used to feel that used to put a downer on my weekends. Now when I wake up I feel proud of myself for resisting another weekend (I live in Spain and they STILL haven't brought the smoking ban here yet! Grrrrrr!!) and I can actually leave my house like a normal person and do other things besides from getting over a ferocious hangover.

If you keep on thinking positive, you will do it...and seriously, give the Allen Carr book a read instead of going cold turkey.

Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Hi there, just took my first dose of champix and hope, it will do the trick. Been a smoker for 35 years (between 15-20 a day). Now in my early fifties, I have the first signs of my smoking habit. Coughing my lungs out every morning, tightness in chest and I start to cough after my exercise, which I never done before. I run every morning 2,5 km on my crosstrainer. Has anyone exercised, while giving up and using champix? I don`t wont to give up on exercise. Can someone give me advice on this matter? Thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 doodd

I'm going to give it another go too. I always start at work again when its wrecking my head! This is a great list of reasons though !

It`s good, to have people to talk to. Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I ever tried. Stress is one of many factors, which got me going again and so I started running, to let all the anger and frustration out. Helped for a while, but then I was back on the smokes. Now with champix I give it another go. Just don`t know, if I should run before I take the tablet or after. So many people say that there are side effects and I would like to talk to someone, who takes champix and exercises. Don`t give up! If we all stick together and support each other - an end should be in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Connewitz, I've been taking the champix for the past 3 weeks or so. If you can stick with it, it's worth it - they really do work in taking away the need/craving/taste for cigarettes. Been a relatively painless process so far for me (fingers crossed it continues to be!)

Regarding the side effects, I find that about 15-20 minutes after I take a tablet, I feel a bit queasy/sick to my stomach, and get a bit tired/sleepy, but that wears off after half an hr. So I make sure I don't take them first thing in the morning if I've to drive anywhere (I'll drive and take them when I arrive), and try to take them on a full stomach as this helps lessen the side-effects IME.

I keep up my exercise the same as normal while taking champix - I wouldn't feel like dragging myself around while I'm feeling queasy for the half hr or so after taking them, so if you go running early in the morning, I'd take the tablet after your run rather than before.

They don't really affect my exercising as I normally exercise anytime from mid-morning on (about an hr after I take the first tablet).

Stick with it, it's well worth it - you mention tightness in your chest and coughing while exercising - well what spurred me onto finally giving up the cigarettes (and I loooved my smokes) was I got a chest infection a few months back, and when that cleared up, I was left with a tiny wheeze (felt like there was a catch in my chest when I breathed in deeply) which really hit home that I was not doing my lungs any favours.

It's been just a little bit over 1 week since I gave up the fags and in that short short time hey presto - the wheeze which has been hanging round for the past few months has magically disappeared :) Just thought I'd stick that last bit in as something positive to add to the list already mentioned in this thread!

Thank you for your advice! I am starting with the blue pills today and hope, that my cravings in the evening will now disappear as well. In the last 3 days I came down from 15 a day to 6 a day. Not really a big success, but a beginning! Take them after exercise and have no heavy side effects. I had no chest infections in years (I am really healthy) but the tightness in my chest was there for a long time. Since I started to take this pills, I can breathe in deeper, without the knife in my chest. I feel a little bit tired, but I think, there is always a small price to pay, when giving up your beloved smokes. What spurs me on, is the fact, that a very good friend of mine is in hospital. He was diagnosed with cancer last week and has now to wait for his result (Bronchoscopie). He is so terrified! And the waiting must seem endless.
    So, I stick with champix and go on. How many did you smoke a day and for how many years? Need all the support I can get and this board is a big help. I wish you all the best and keep my fingers crossed, that you will become smoke free! :)

Sorry to hear about your friend Connewitz it must be awful for him and his family and friends, hope you are still off the fags, have been off them for 26 days now cold turkey and believe me I am feeling a lot better (20 a day 20 year smoker). You will feel the benefits the longer you are off, deeper breathing without pain or tightness and less tired I think. Don't forget the sense of pride and achievement that you will get from this which is a big incentive. Also treat yourself with the money that you have saved

This is so nice of you, to give me support! I am still not really a non-smoker, but coming there slowly. Today on my 4.day of champix, I had only 1 until now(Its 1:30 pm and I am up since 7:30 am).
    The strange thing is, that my friend had no symptoms at all. Not even the tightness in the chest. He had no smokers cough - nothing!!! And than out of the blue this diagnosis!
    It scared me to death! I cross my fingers for him, hopefully he can be treated and it is not hopeless, because he is just 56 and this is no age to die!
    But thanks again for your support! I have the will to fight my inner smoking devil. And I admire you for going cold turkey. Done it about 20 years ago and did not smoke for 3 years. But 1 cigarette at a party ruined all. So be very careful! It needs just this one cig to start again! :)

• Advertisement

connewitz wrote: »
    This is so nice of you, to give me support! I am still not really a non-smoker, but coming there slowly. Today on my 4.day of champix, I had only 1 until now(Its 1:30 pm and I am up since 7:30 am).
    The strange thing is, that my friend had no symptoms at all. Not even the tightness in the chest. He had no smokers cough - nothing!!! And than out of the blue this diagnosis!
    It scared me to death! I cross my fingers for him, hopefully he can be treated and it is not hopeless, because he is just 56 and this is no age to die!
    But thanks again for your support! I have the will to fight my inner smoking devil. And I admire you for going cold turkey. Done it about 20 years ago and did not smoke for 3 years. But 1 cigarette at a party ruined all. So be very careful! It needs just this one cig to start again! :)

But you are getting there so that is a lot to be proud of. Remember to treat yourself for small little milestones of not smoking especially at the beginning. I also found some of the testimonies on whyquit.com (no link to this site) as a shocking incentive to stay off the fags.
    Agree with you re one cig getting you back on as have failed before but have resolved this time to go for it and know that there is no 'just one' cig
    It is a choice of smoke or don't smoke for me. Best of luck with it and enjoy the benefits of not smoking

Want to stop completely on Monday, latest Wednesday. When I manage this, then I will save the weekly 40 € in Credit Union. Maybe I get money for a nice holiday together. This would be a really treat, because I had no holidays since 5 years! So, one more good reason to quit. Good luck to you as well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

Hiya, I'm off the smokes since last sunday with Champix and I read Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking. Smoking for 18 years, 20 a day and i have to say i'm actually fine!! those tablets are great, although i do realise some people can get awful side effects, i was lucky enough not to be too bad on them, and I don't find myself overeating either which was one of the things i was worried about...

my car even broke down on me the other day and i was fine! i'm delighted to be a non-smoker now, i'll keep taking the champix for the 3 months just to be sure, and i'll make sure not to pick up that first one.. ;)

another benefit for me is all the time i'm saving!!! i used to waste a whole day sitting around smoking!! I'd have a smoke (or 3 or 4) before i did anything.. now that's out of the equation it's great.... :rolleyes:

good luck to everyone!! :):P:):P:cool:

The biggest day-to-day benefit for me is that I'm way more chilled out at work, socially, in general etc. because the stress of "dying for a cigarette" is gone. So liberating.

In second week with champix. Smoked one cig yesterday and it tasted awful! So, I think I am ready to take the bull by the horns. No smoke today and no desire to smoke. Little bit tired, but this fades away after a couple of hours. I do wish all of you, who went through the whole thing a very healthy "after-smoking-life" and for all, who are in the same boat as me - stay focused! There is sooooo much to gain and little to loose! We will make it!
    Keep you updated with progress. And thanks for all your help!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

As a former chain smoker, current tea addict, I think it has to be the lack of stains (or more) on your teeth. In fairness i only chain smoked when drinking. It was enough. I originally smoked all day but read Alan Carr's book on quiting it worked for me, but i still smoked obsessively when i drank. And i'm Irish.

Not healthy. Worse, even. you can't have one ever again. That's it.

Obviously the health aspects are apparent and true. It won't make you fitter, mind. You'll still be knackered in two seconds in a sunday game of soccer if you don't, you know, go away and get fit. My girlfriend smokes and i must say i find it a bit disgusting. So the way you appear to non smokers is probably the most alarming and the best reason to go on and quit.

In ireland the saving of money is incredible- in asia packs are 2 euro .50 euro for a smoking habit a week!!

The craving lasts, though. six months off them and when i am in the pub it is still there, but it is bearable. What can you do about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

The main thing for me is being able to excerise without getting that burning feeling deep in my lungs.
    And also I wear perfume every day and about two days after giving up someone that I see every day complemented me on the smell of my perfume! I could of saved sooo much money if I knew that no-one could smell the perfume I was wearing:rolleyes:

It is hard and the cravings pop up now and then. But I tell myself, that I am in the process of healing now and it helps! Just imagine all the good things, nice skin, wrinkles disappearing, teeth stay white, ......! And I can run longer. Was 2,5 km running every morning - now 3 km. And I can catch my breath without coughing my lungs out.
    Side effects (champix user) minimal. Sometimes tired and dizzy, but this goes away after a while.
    For the drinking issue-try to stay away from alcohol for a while. It is well worth it. Alcohol overwrites your will and you will start smoking again. I know what I talk about. Was 3 years smoke free and kept my alcohol limit down. One party - more alcohol - one cigarette - and I played the game again. Smoked after the party more then ever before!!!
    I don`t go out this often, but when, then I drink no more than 3 small glasses of beer.
    Now with the champix I fell tipsy after 2 glasses of wine and get the desire to smoke. Have to stop after one glass. But I am sure, I will manage. This is my last chance for quitting and I have to take it. Don`t wont to be the loser again!
    By the way, my partner is binge drinking as well, but does not smoke. So both of us have to change our habits. Lots to do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

connewitz wrote: »
    This is my last chance for quitting and I have to take it. Don`t wont to be the loser again!

You're never on a last chance to quit!!! Think positive.
    People that take several attempts to quit are the ones most likely to never smoke again once they do give them up.

• Advertisement

Thanks, will take your advise. Stopped so many times, I can`t even remember. But I know for sure, that cold turkey and nicotin supplements don`t work. That`s why I said last chance, because there is nothing left after champix. But I am good. Could not live without my cig in the morning after breakfast and coffee. Now that I broke this habit, I am much more convinced, that I will make it this time!:)

Advertisement