Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The benefits to quitting!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 undergroundeye

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I've had a quick look through the posts here on this forum and I don't think anyone has started one like this yet, surprisingly. I think it would be encouraging for others and cathartic for yourself if everyone posted up the benefits they've experienced since quitting smoking. I don't want to sound preachy and I don't want to offend anyone who chooses to smoke (but I'm presuming most people who look at this thread have either quit or are thinking about it...maybe this will give you the push you need)...it is your choice but this is just an honest account of someone who smoked like a chimney, defended it when others lectured me but am seeing it for what it really is. It's just another side of the coin.

Here's mine:

1) I don't smell. Don't think I realised how bad I smelt 'till I quit and smelt other smokers' clothes, hair and breath. Really, really repulsive.

2) I can breathe! I always had a bit of a wheeze when I smoked and now I can breath so much easier with nothing inhibiting it.

3) I've a few extra Euro in my pocket to spend on whatever I please.

4) My face is no longer a kind of greyish colour anymore.

5) I don't get anxious after a cigarette. This is probably the biggest advantage for me. People argue that smoking calms you....that's the biggest load of poo I've ever heard. Smoking increases your heart rate and blood pressure and if I had a smoke to "calm" me during a stressful period, I'd always feel even worse after -I'd have mini anxiety attacks and I'd have to wait 5 minutes 'till the anxiety passed. Rinse and repeat.

6) Walking up the stairs to my apartment doesn't knacker me anymore.

7) I don't suffer from the self-loathing and utter disappointment in myself I went through after every fag I smoked.

8) The fact that I'm respecting my body finally is rubbing off in other areas of my life. Self esteem comes from liking yourself first and foremost..and you don't really respect and love yourself if you smoke like a chimney and essentially poison yourself. That might sound extreme but it makes sense. Smoking makes no sense.

9) People (men) commented in the past that I was an attractive girl...but that smoking didn't suit me and it was a total turn off. Probably not a nice thing to say but they were just being honest. I used to go on the defense even though I knew deep down they were right. I used to only go for smokers myself in the past (probably because I knew I stunk and non-smokers wouldn't touch me with a barge pole)and now that I'm seeing smoking for what it is....smokers are becoming less and less attractive. Somebody who had the courage and the strength to quit is more attractive in my eyes and shows they've a bit of respect for themselves.

10)Because I feel healthier, I'm making an effort to be healthy all round with a better diet and more exercise. Win win situation.

11) Nice to know that there's a real chance I might live beyond 60.

12) Just the general feeling that I've achieved something very difficult on my own and I'm doing it. Nice feeling.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences. Well done to everyone who managed to quit, by the way. You've quit the most addictive drug known to man. Fair bleedin' play to ye!

You are on the money!
    this is 100% true, I have done it myself and these 12 points have been an everyday reminder that smoking is sinister as well as a choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Why do you quote Eve again? She started the thread and we all read her reasons. What we are doing now, is to support each other and give advice. Of course - Eve is right!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

God it's great to know that other people are going through the same trials and tribulations. I'm on day 4, and on the nicotine patches. I was smoking for about 35 years, but now I have children, and it would be nice to see them grow up a bit. I don't know if the bloody patches are working, because I still have strong cravings. But the way I look at it is that I smoked for long enough, and it was great while it lasted. But it has to finish now: either they go or I go, and I would vastly prefer the former.
    I haven't felt any great benefits yet, but I know they'll come. Just the decision made is a weight off my chest, that at last I'm actually doing something about that disgusting habit.
    Good luck to all the other quitters. Keep the faith.

Give them patches more time. Your cravings should ease. It is worth a try! I was not successful with nicotine replacements and thats why I am taking the champix. Today is day 9 without a cig and I fell well! I changed my life style as well. More sport (running, walking), no fat or sugar, instead a lot of raw fruit and vegetable and yogurt. Drink also plenty of water. Until now, I have not put on one gram of weight! This keeps me going as well. Before, I always started smoking again, when the weight gain came. And by the way, this diet helps against constipation, which is very common when you stop smoking.
    Keep it up, I was also smoking for 35 years. Be strong!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

well done to everyone off the fags, it is great that everyone can provide moral support to each other on here, I am now off 40 days now and feel a lot healthier for it. IMO it gets so much easier the longer you're off them so everybody keep going and best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Hey everyone. Just realised today I've been off them just a little over 3 months!! Can't believe it. What started as just a bad hangover and a feeling of self-loathing one Sunday morning after a heavy session the night before (and reading Allen Carr's book in one day) has turned into this. I'm delighted with myself because I turn 30 on Sunday and I always told myself I'd quit before my 30th birthday and I've done that. I've got to the point where I look at smokers and genuinely think, "what are you doing, ye numpty?" (more out of pity than disgust). I still get the pangs when I'm out and everyone is smoking around me (there not bringing the smoking ban here any time soon it would seem....BOOO silly Spanish government). It's worth it people...keep it up.

Hi everyone! Great to read your replies. It gives me a boost, when I read, that people are of the cigs since weeks or months. Then I think, if they could do it, I will too! Still a long way to go, but I think more positive now.
    Happy 30`th birthday to you, EVE!!!
    Keep it up people! Together we are strong! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ronanos

Yeah the reasons are important.

I keep forgetting the reasons and about a week after quitting talk myself into "its ok to be a casual smoker" then Im back to square one. I reckon writing them down is the only way.

Setup this thing on facebook also. Hopefully can stick through it this time!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chose-Life-Quit-Smoking/119693478059916

First cigarette after quitting is the start of a new smoker career. Will always be, because you are satisfying your receptors again. I do know people, which where not smoking for 8 years and started with one "casual" cigarette again.
    So, please stay focused for the good reasons!!! I always felt like I had betrayed my partner and friends, when I started smoking again. They were supporting me and I did not have the will to stick it out! Tomorrow starts week 3 of non smoking and I am quite pleased with myself. Keep going all of you!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Great OP post - great to be reminded of what I now take for granted. I totted up about 27 reasons at the time but can't remember them now.

I spent 5 years trying to quit, getting more and more despairing until I went to the doc and he put me on Champix. Didn't see the point of the nicotine patches, as what Alan Carr said made absolute sense and I was defo nicotine's beeyatch and I don't trust big pharma but anyhoo...

2 years off nearly and I LOVE it. Once in a blue moon, I might get a hint of a craving but nothing I can't handle and I have NO will power!

A couple of tips for those on Champix;

Don't quit taking the tablets after a few weeks 'cos you realize that you never wanna smoke again - it happens 3/4 weeks in for a lot of people and I recently found out how much they cost but if you're not on them for a minimum of 8 weeks (recommended 12), then you're more likely to fall off the wagon. In extreme cases they recommend 24 weeks but I'd go for 12.

I know they taste like gak and I had the nausea for an hour or 2 after each but someone on the Champix thread noticed that if you space your 2 tabs exactly 12 hours apart, it's not so bad. Iirc, with food too. Helps kill the taste anyhow.

Drink lots of WATER. Lots. Not tea, not coffee, not fruit juices but water. The pills, they are really dehydrating. I can't emphasis that enough.

Very rarely, people experience a bit of a personality change - if you seem to be getting more aggressive, go to your doc and typically he/she will halve your dose.

Actually I had this mad smokers fear too - the irrational "I really wanna quit for good but if I quit now, then I can never smoke again". The one that makes you think.. "not this week, not till after the exams, not till after my hols". It's incredibly common. It'll pass. A couple of days after I'd quit but was still taking the tablets, I got drunk and took a fag. Sucked on it and got ...nothing. Did the same the following night and got nothing. It shocked me. And then I just relaxed into it.

Alan Carr is great though too. If you have a modicum of willpower, it's well worth starting there. Just remember that at days 3, week 3, months 3 and 6 - you probably will try to start fights, to give yourself an excuse to get upset, go back on and blame your made up excuse. Speaking from experience.

Best of Luck all!

P.S. Especially for Conniewitz, if you quit and change to a healthy lifestyle at the same time, then there will come a point where you're body realizes that the assault of crap into it is over and it will start "clearing house". So you may actually get migranes and a bad cold or flu a few weeks or month in. Be prepared for this, maybe take some Vit C in advance and drink lots of water. Washing your feet before bed is a mad one that I've heard of too but haven't tried it. :)

• Advertisement

Great reply!!! Good to hear from someone who quit with champix. I have no nausea or change in personality, just tiredness. So I think I am on the lucky side. Because I am over 50, I take vitamin and mineral tablets since years. They kept cold and flu away since 5 years. Hope, it will stay like this! Have to see the doc this week, because my first supply of champix comes to an end. Thanks for your advice not to go off them to soon. Will try to tell my doc this and hope, she gives me another pack for 4 weeks. I also think, that it would be good to be weened of them. How did you manage the sudden loss of champix? Will definitely stay a non-smoker. It`s so nice to smell fresh all day and I do not have to use my mouth spray all the time! And the house smells good too! Best of all - my dog can breathe fresh air and not the nicotine. I am sure, he was in danger as well as my partner (whom I love dearly and he is number one - not the dog ;)).
    So, start of week 3 as a non-smoker and I wish all of you the best and lots of willpower!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ceduffy

the benefits of quitting smoking are unreal most of all though i think is to be able to fill your lungs with air again great feeling

Just want to say, that I am now off the cigarettes for one month. And I feel good and proud! Still on champix and the side effects are lessening. Can only recommend it. How are you others doing? Still fighting the battle? I keep my fingers crossed for everyone out there trying to quit this dirty habit! Stay focused and strong!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

connewitz wrote: »
    Just want to say, that I am now off the cigarettes for one month. And I feel good and proud! Still on champix and the side effects are lessening. Can only recommend it. How are you others doing? Still fighting the battle? I keep my fingers crossed for everyone out there trying to quit this dirty habit! Stay focused and strong!!!!:D

Well done that's brilliant!!! Am off 60 days and feeling so much better for it. Get the odd craving more so than in the first month(just to warn you) but they pass after a minute or two. If you feel tempted think of the progress you have made and how you would feel if you gave in to the cravings. Also think why you gave them up and that will help to.

Keep up the good work and don't forget to treat yourself... Gmol

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ronanos

3 weeks and 1 day and it is getting a little easier. Not as stressed out now though still having bouts of irritability and just loosing the plot in a rage of anger for nothing though they are fewer and further between. Usually its with myself rather than any other person so don't worry!

Yeah looking forward to reaping the feel good factor permanently!

I know, that after 3 month there will be a strong craving. Do believe, this comes after 6 month as well!? Not really sure. This is a battle until the end of my life. But it will get easier.
    Congratulation to you as well! 60 days - you have now this itchy 3 month period! I do wish you the very best and a iron will! Keep it up, you can do it!We all have to believe in our capabilities!!! Let us know about your progress! I keep posting.
    Wrote the first month smoke free in thick red letters on my calender - every morning and evening I see it and it makes me proud and strong!
    Best of luck to you!:D

I know, that after 3 month there will be a strong craving. Do believe, this comes after 6 month as well!? Not really sure. This is a battle until the end of my life. But it will get easier.
    Congratulation to you as well! 60 days - you have now this itchy 3 month period! I do wish you the very best and an iron will! Keep it up, you can do it!We all have to believe in our capabilities!!! Let us know about your progress! I keep posting.
    Wrote the first month smoke free in thick red letters on my calender - every morning and evening I see it and it makes me proud and strong!
    Best of luck to you!:D

I am such an idiot! Just realized, that I send the reply twice! Sorry people!!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 New York

Hi there, congrats on staying off the cigarettes, well done to you. I was hoping that you could help me with something. I am off the cigs 5.5 weeks now and feel good as a result however I do feel it takes me approx 2 hours to get to sleep most nights now, I thought it was because of the patch I am wearing and I have removed it but it is still the same for me and I am also extremely tired. One of good things I have been told about giving up cigarettes is more energy but I am yet to feel that. Just wondering if you went through the same? Tx.

New York wrote: »
    Hi there, congrats on staying off the cigarettes, well done to you. I was hoping that you could help me with something. I am off the cigs 5.5 weeks now and feel good as a result however I do feel it takes me approx 2 hours to get to sleep most nights now, I thought it was because of the patch I am wearing and I have removed it but it is still the same for me and I am also extremely tired. One of good things I have been told about giving up cigarettes is more energy but I am yet to feel that. Just wondering if you went through the same? Tx.

Hi New York! Congratulations on giving up the smokes! Yes you will have trouble with your sleep pattern. It is normal because there are many changes in your body! And your brain has to cope with them. I am off the cigs for 2 month and 3 days now and have still times, where I lie in bed and it takes me hours to fall asleep. You could try to go for a relaxing walk before you go to bed, read a book, have a "Horlicks" or even a small alcoholic drink. Try what ever you like until you find out what helps you. I do read but like I said, it helps not all the time. You ask about energy levels rising - this took me about 2 months (I am on champix since 9,5 weeks.) Don`t know if you are an active person but if you are, than you should feel more energy. I started to feel it when I was on my cross trainer. Was training for 30 min (every morning) and absolutely covered in sweat, breathing hard and really done! Now I am training for 1 hour on higher resistance levels, have a good cardio workout and than do gymnastic for 20 min. Not half as done as before!!! My heart is no more racing and a can actually talk while training! This showed me how much my energy level has risen. Change to fresh fruit and veg as well. They will boost your energy and gallons to drink - not beer but water!;) I hope that you will find a way out of your trouble and wish you a good night sleep in the future! If you have more questions just ask. I would like to help. Keep the good work up! It is well worth it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement