Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildlife Protection Info - Birds

• 19-03-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all.

I am having some difficulty in understanding the wildlife protection legislation and all its updates. I'm looking to see if boards members can explain in simple English what birds are covered by protection and when.

Something along the lines of:

Pheasant - Protected Game bird - Hunting licence required

Jackdaw (Corvus monedula ) - Not protected - Considered pest

Etc, etc.

Specifically I have a problem with Jackdaws (Corvus monedula) and Pigeons (Columba livia) causing damage or potential damage to equipment. I have been told that all birds are protected and need a licence or permission to remove nests/kill birds by either the Ranger or relevant Minister/Dept.

I am anxious to control the problem without endangering possible protected species such as birds of prey, game birds, endangered species etc.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

What equipment are you trying to protect? The killing of jackdaws and pigeons is normally only permitted where they are damaging crops, feedlots or food storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ZULU9niner

Expensive telecommunications equipment.

The jackdaws have taken a distinct liking to pecking away at the cabling for some reason.

The only thing that comes close is a provision in the Wildlife (Amendment) Act 2000 for 'serious damage' to 'buildings and other structures and their contents'.

You'd probably be better off, and the Jackdaws would be better off too, if you could find a way to keep the birds from your cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ZULU9niner

We're in a position to do that but the birds have established nests and roosts inside the equipment and will need to be removed. Once this is done we can seal it off again. The issue is with removing the mess inside.

I'd suggest getting a section 42 licence on the basis of 'serious damage' to 'other structures' . You should try to scare the birds out and block up their way back in and only use poison as a last resort.

• Advertisement
Advertisement