Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

automatic not changing gears properly

• 19-03-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

So i was driving to work this morning and the car seemed a bit sluggish and I dont think it was changing gears properly, if at all. At 1 point I was doing 70km/ph and the rev was pointing between 3 and 3.5 and the car sounded like it needed to change gears but just wasnt.
    I can change from automatic to manual/tiptronic with the gear stick and see what gear im in but when i did this all it displayed was the "D"

In the end i was worried I was runing the gearbox so I pulled over and restarted the car and all seemed fine again.

A few months ago I had electrical problems with the car and had to replace the BSI and ECU..cost me a fortune so Im worried now im running into more problems with these parts again.
    I know when the mechanic was installing the ECU he had to make adjustments so warning lights etc would show on the dash and he had to change the way the P, R , D showed on the dash too so I wonder when i try to switch to manual to see what gear im in but it remains at D is this a fault with the ECU?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

check and top up the fluid..i think you have to do it when its hot....if the fluid is black it needs changing...

(disclaimer: Im not a mechanic...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Might there be a "sports"-type mode in your car ? mate had a 318i and there was a seperate button somewhere if i recall correctly that would change the gears later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

What car is this?

Start with the basics like Corktina said. Check fluid level and condition. Theres a pletora of different reasons as to why its not shifting. Do the revs vary at all when you are crusing at a speed above 80KPH?
    I can change from automatic to manual/tiptronic with the gear stick and see what gear im in but when i did this all it displayed was the "D"

This makes me suspect something electronic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is it an Audi? In any case, i'd start with an ATF and filter change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

its a Citroen C3
    yes there is a sports mode in the car but its not on from what I can see
    Will get the fluid checked so and see does that make any difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement