Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Outdoors..!

• 19-03-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭

Inspired by the latest spell of good weather, any suggestions for various outdoors activities in Drogheda and surrounding areas in general? All sort of suggestions are most welcome, and especially if you have recommendations based on your own personal experience, please share them with the rest of us! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭positron

Of the top of my head, we have amazing beaches - Bettystown to Laytown, Termonfeckin etc for everything from strolling along taking in the fresh air to jogging, beach boarding etc and even swimming if you dare.

Royal Canal walk is pretty special too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Cycling along the river boyne.
    Walking.

Um... Why am I not able to think of more options :o

oh: I know a lot of people kajak/Cano on the Boyne in Slane. Perhaps you could that in Drogheda too.

Rollerblading (one step up from walking!)

Horseriding on the beach - i believe very popular in Mornington.

Kiting - surfkiting or a normal one or them buggy ones.

positron wrote: »

Royal Canal walk is pretty special too.

Where's the Royal Canal Walk - is that Dublin or am I missing something here?

Oh yeah, I think it's actually called Boyne Canal Walk? I am not certain but here's the location I am referring to, it's near the Battle Of Boyne site.

http://tinyurl.com/ygldamo

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

Yeah that's the nicest walk around here id say

It's just down the road from townley hall(another walk) on the other side of the obelisk bridge(Meath side!)

2713595206_0502733d7f.jpg?v=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭louth87

+1 for Townley Hall, parking, nice little trails and picnic area

Yeah, Townley Hall is really nice too - the walk is not all that long, but with a bit of gradient in some parts, it's has a nice feel to it!

Are there any other longer walking trails around Drogheda? I know there are fantastic walks if we go north to Dundalk / Carligford, but is there anything nearer to Drogheda? Also, is there any place around Drogheda for novice horse riders to practice and improve? Any badminton or tennis courts that you can play with or without annual membership?

Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

If it to explore the area and get away from crowds, a few choices could be,

Old bridge estate, this is the battle of the boyne site and is nice to walk around, I jog around the fields here a couple of times a week, as many others also do.

Townley Hall, plenty of trails to walk.

Plenty of beaches in the area, mornington, clogherhead .... The walk up mornington beach to the gormanstown area is good and only about 30mins.

You can go kayaking down the boyne from around the slane area, it's pretty good, I went last year it was around €40 or something like that and I was gone for about 5 hrs, all gear supplied.

Also, is there any place around Drogheda for novice horse riders to practice and improve? Any badminton or tennis courts that you can play with or without annual membership?

Ta!

it's not really Drogheda but I know you can play badminton in the Naul on fridayevenings. Im sure there s somewhere in Drogheda probably.

edit: or perhaps check the badminton forum in the sports section?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mickus40

Hi,

I windsurf myself and live in the Drogheda area. Any other windsurfers out there want to meet up on a windy day? Would like to try out some of the beaches, and its always safer in numbers, might save me a long drift to the isle of man!:)

Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭louth87

Only tennis club I know of is out in Bettystown, not sure if there are any in town??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 poppylily

cant believe i'm giving away my fav spots,
    Littlewood- is on Derry Rd just outside Slane on left, Lovely little forest park, and loads of mud on rainy day so wear wellies.
    Mellifont- wonderful rambing especially with the kids, also if you've wellies you can climb into (large) stream that runs along and the kids love that too. Prob better to leave that bit until summer!!
    Annagassan beach- great beach for stone gathering.
    Clotherhead cliffs- wrap up warm and walk. If you park at the pier there is always loads of spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

boyne canal is beautiful if your prepared to get get you feet a bit wet you can walk all the way to slane .
    termon beach to baltray or clogher head is fantastic no matter the weather .

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

You can play tennis in stackallen, bettystown and the boyne valley, they all have visitor fee's during the summer anyway, stackallen probably wouldnt charge you till may- the others would be strict enough id say

There is a tennis court in the estate up the road on the right from the kids playground in the ramparts, well i assume its still there, you could play there for free

Mellifont is great for picnics during the summer as poppy said

3165630-Mellifont_Abbey-Drogheda.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions on Boyle Canal Walk - yesterday we checked out that walk again, and instead of just walking along the canals, we went on to the Pony field and then the entire red route - and wow, what a beautiful and well looked after route! Stunning views, and the weather yesterday was just the best so far this year!

I hope the weather clears up again by the weekend.

ah but you only seen half of it, put yur wellie's on and walk the entire lenght you wont be disappointed.;)

You mean walk along River Boyne, towards Slane? I have tried it in the past, and after a while the forest kinda closed in and thought I would need a machete to make way thru, from what I remember (may be I am confusing this with some other walk... hmm). How far can you walk along the river, and where would it take you to / whats at the other end?

you can walk all the way to donore now it might be a bit wet under foot but if you get a few dry days it should be fine.
    if we get a good week next week im heading that way my self give me a pm and i'll take you around there .
    it's my favourite walk with my wee dog.;)

Thanks, that's very generous offer. We did explore that walk further - and based on the GPS location, we were pretty close to Donore, though I am not sure as it's just trees all along - but what a beautiful walk - so far away from everything else and so peaceful! Oh yeah, it was unbelievably mucky - perfect for some cross-country dirt biking! Definitely wellies terrain!

Thanks, that's very generous offer. We did explore that walk further - and based on the GPS location, we were pretty close to Donore, though I am not sure as it's just trees all along - but what a beautiful walk - so far away from everything else and so peaceful! Oh yeah, it was unbelievably mucky - perfect for some cross-country dirt biking! Definitely wellies terrain!
    yes it's a lovely walk ,did you know there's a few secret tunnel's on the walk not a lot of people know about them.you would need to be a bit of an explorer to sus them out ;)
    anyway glad you enjoyed the walk im a cyclist myself but not on that terrain theres a book on the canals of ireland that's pretty good gives you the history and all that. the drogheda canal is mentioned in it.

• Advertisement

Recently read on one of the free papers that there's an organised 'Boyne Canal Walk' next weekend (I think) - all the way from Battle of Boyne to Navan. Too lazy to look it up now, but will do this later.

Advertisement