Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handling fee on import charge (was:Duty Rates! Has to be wrong!)

Options
  • 19-03-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

I ordered a tee from thinkgeek.com (american site)
    1. Red Shirt - Red/Black, L 1 $18.99 $18.99
    Sub Total $18.99
    Sales Tax $0.00
    Shipping $18.39
    Total $37.38

And today it arrived via UPS...and they want €22 for import duty! Now please for the love of all that is holy can someone explain to me how this works?

The value including delivery is $38 which is only €28 so they want over 75% duty!?!? :confused::confused:

Please help me here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Exact same thing ahppened me, and after much arguing with UPS they told me they add on €13 for themselves for clearing your item through customs. So you're paying Duty, VAT and €13 to UPS. I will never use them again. It's a pity cos thinkgeek.com have some great stuff for decent prices, but when it came to €72 for 2 T-Shirts I will not be ordering again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Can't remember how much it is off hand but UPS are charging you for administering the import duty and not just the duty itself.

Only advantage is they deliver first then bill rather than hold it at Customs while waiting for you to pay.

Edit> sorry already answered by NothingMan

ttm wrote: »
    Can't remember how much it is off hand but UPS are charging you for administering the import duty and not just the duty itself.

Only advantage is they deliver first then bill rather than hold it at Customs while waiting for you to pay.

The only thing i'd be worried about is not everything gets flagged at customs, but UPS charge everyone regardsless so they are probably profiteering after already charging you the shipping fee. It's completely unethical and in no way made transparent during the order process that you will be charged such an outrageous fee for something that is not only simple but expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Wow I was sure there was an error here somewhere! I'm planning to ring UPS at lunch to get some answers and confirm this but if this is it then they can keep the tee coz no way am I paying another 22€ for it. Id rather lose the 28€ I've already paid than pay more to those robbing bastards!

I'll let ya know how I get on but I'm guessing you already know how it will turn out. :mad:

Skinfull wrote: »
    Wow I was sure there was an error here somewhere! I'm planning to ring UPS at lunch to get some answers and confirm this but if this is it then they can keep the tee coz no way am I paying another 22€ for it. Id rather lose the 28€ I've already paid than pay more to those robbing bastards!

I'll let ya know how I get on but I'm guessing you already know how it will turn out. :mad:

I'm sure you'll get the same spiel I got, but more people complain maybe they'll change. I tried to put forward the point that the charges should be a percentage of your duty not a flat rate as it's outrageous for small orders like this.

I took the goods anyway, paying €35 to UPS, I figured i'd rather that than have paid €45 for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

NothingMan wrote: »
    The only thing i'd be worried about is not everything gets flagged at customs, but UPS charge everyone regardsless so they are probably profiteering after already charging you the shipping fee. It's completely unethical and in no way made transparent during the order process that you will be charged such an outrageous fee for something that is not only simple but expected.

"not everything gets flagged at Customs".... yeh sometimes you get away with it but its hardly UPS's fault if you get into the habit of getting away with not paying the duty.

Wonder which is more unethical the charge from UPS or avoiding paying customs duty :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

NothingMan wrote: »
    process that you will be charged such an outrageous fee for something that is not only simple but expected.
    Then you can in the future declare it before hand to Customs and forward the import declaration to UPS before you order it and avoid it. The fact that you did not how ever is not the fault of UPS (btw the fee any shipping company is allowed to charge is up to 15 EUR for the handling of duty).

"not everything gets flagged at Customs".... yeh sometimes you get away with it but its hardly UPS's fault if you get into the habit of getting away with not paying the duty.

Wonder which is more unethical the charge from UPS or avoiding paying customs duty :confused:

I never said I avoided paying it, just that say it wasn't flagged at customs and with another delivery crowd you wouldn't pay a penny, but UPS just work out the charges themselves and charge you either way. That would be wrong.
    Nody wrote: »
    Then you can in the future declare it before hand to Customs and forward the import declaration to UPS before you order it and avoid it. The fact that you did not how ever is not the fault of UPS (btw the fee any shipping company is allowed to charge is up to 15 EUR for the handling of duty).

Just because you are allowed to charge something doesn't mean it's a fair price. €15 on a €200 order may seem ok, but when you're ordering a T-Shirt or 2 like myself or the OP it becomes very excessive.

If it had have been made in anyway clear from UPS's terms & conditions that it would cost this much I never would have placed the order. But I live and learn and will not be making the mistake twice.

Couldn't fault them on the speedy delivery though. They aren't all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

On post will do it aswell afaik. They pay the duty then reclaim it off you with a little fee for paying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Slightly off topic but I wish Customs had a website and you could pay online your charge so An Post will deliver it or leave it in the nearest An Post office (if you missed the first call, they won't redeliver and you have to go to the nearest depot).

I know this is fanciful thinking and too complex to happen. But it'd be nice when you buy something online you can register what you bought, where and have some sort of automatic calculator for your tax and a payment section.

OP I too have wanted to buy t-shirts and the likes from thinkgeek but the tax has put me off. I'm saving up to buy a few things so that it'll be easier.

• Advertisement

Its not about skipping out on customes its abotu paying a fair price. 75% payment on 1 tee is ridiculous!

Skinfull wrote: »
    Its not about skipping out on customes its abotu paying a fair price. 75% payment on 1 tee is ridiculous!

Its Duty + VAT I think on both the Tee and Shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Half-right Theta.

From citizensinformation.ie:
    If you buy online or by mail order etc.

From outside the EU

You can buy goods from outside the EU up to a value of €22 without incurring any VAT charges. Goods up to a value of €150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty. To avoid these packages being stopped by Customs, the value should be clearly marked on the label. However, VAT and import duty is charged on importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic product and perfumes even if they cost less than €22. The Revenue Commissioners provide a Guide to the reliefs available for the import from non-EC countries.

They are having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

The value of the goods is the total of the goods value + the total of the shipping value. So in this case the value of the goods is $37.38 - about €28.

Unfortuantely for the OP the goods were terribly close to the cut off value and it is probably best to ask the supplier to us USPS (US Postal Service) .

So the charges were €13 for UPS customs charges (this is good value compared to some importers) and then vat at 21% for the ups charge & at 21% for the goods. - total = €22.

Of course if the goods you were importing cost €10,000 the UPS charge is still €13 and would be seen as a bargain. And if you imprted the goods through a standard freight company the customs charge would be about €65 + vat for a one off shipment. (but you wouldn't use the service for a single item)

Onikage wrote: »
    They are having a laugh.

Not really I mean most of what the OP paid was a charge that had nothing to do with the state so if anything its UPS thats having a laugh!

So I called UPS and they pretty much said what 91011 guy said!

But she also mentioned something about being in the cut off zone because I was only 6€ above it! So she is going to try to have it removed as a charge and get it resent. i.e. request a removal of the charge to have it resent. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Duty is charged by the state. It's not really clear from the OP how the charges break down, but yes it does indeed seem that UPS are the guilty gigglers.

Edit: Ok, it makes sense now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Theta wrote: »
    On post will do it aswell afaik. They pay the duty then reclaim it off you with a little fee for paying it!
    5 EUR handling charge and they will not deliver it until you pay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread title modified, as this really isn't a duty/VAT issue, but an issue with the handling fee associated with that.

OP, unfortunate that it was delivered by UPS. Couriers do normally charge the VAT on every item, and apply pretty much all of the €15 they're legally allowed to charge. An Post charge €5 or €6, and not always (though it is becoming more prominant now).

Advertisement