Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 ADSL Broadband coming soon?

• 19-03-2010 1:34pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hmm, I wonder if o2 are getting ready to launch phone and ADSL broadband soon to compete with Vodafone and Eircom/Meter.

The reason I expect so is I just had an interesting phone call from o2 sales department. They were offering me cheaper contract on my iPhone as I'm now out of contract, but they also took the opportunity to ask some interesting questions:

- Did I have a landline phone and broadband?
    - Who with?
    - Was I in a contract with them and for how long?

The only reason I could imagine them asking these questions is if they were preparing to launch phone and home broadband products.

Which makes sense, they do LLU ADSL in the UK, I know they did a small trial of ADSL in Ireland already and they are currently the only major mobile company who don't do home phone and broadband. They need to start offering it to compete IMO.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

O2 are already offering ADSL to business customers, loads of info on their website and they've been doing radio adverts the past two weeks.

The O2 website does say home broadband "coming soon" but it says no landline required which suggests its perhaps fixed wireless or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

They rang me and offered it to me but its via USB Dongle. I laughed and laughed when she told me the download speed was 8Mb. She promised me it would rarely drop below that speed and I laughed some more. Finally she got tired of all the laughing and hung up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kmick wrote: »
    They rang me and offered it to me but its via USB Dongle. I laughed and laughed when she told me the download speed was 8Mb. She promised me it would rarely drop below that speed and I laughed some more. Finally she got tired of all the laughing and hung up.

No matter what company they call from sales rep's rarely get things right :confused:

Advertisement