Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOE Easter courses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

ddef wrote: »
    I was in Cathy's english class for the 3rd period today. only around 15 in it, was mad.

Lucky, I remember doing maths last year [when I was in fifth year] on Saturday mornings and there was never more than 8 in the class. It was good but I ended dropping down to Foundation maths because I had too much difficulties with the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I was in Cathy's english class for the 3rd period today. only around 15 in it, was mad.

Strange, I was in that room before and after you and both times it was full.
    unknown13 wrote: »
    Lucky, I remember doing maths last year [when I was in fifth year] on Saturday mornings and there was never more than 8 in the class. It was good but I ended dropping down to Foundation maths because I had too much difficulties with the subject.

I do maths every Saturday and at the start of the year there were a lot of people but now there's about 30.

I do maths every Saturday and at the start of the year there were a lot of people but now there's about 30.

I take it is Higher level maths

I take it is Higher level maths

Yup, sticking with it because I dropped Irish. I like maths it's just hard because there's so much to remember. When my teacher found out I went to grinds she spent the whole class telling us that they don't work etc. but I think they're amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

I had Kelly for honours english, 3rd period today and there was about 70ish in the class :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah same, there was only 4/5 spare seats. Fair play to the teachers for being able to handle so many, I know some of my own teachers couldn't do it.

Do you think things would be different for the teachers in your school if everyone in the class was paying to be there?

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    I had Kelly for honours english, 3rd period today and there was about 70ish in the class :confused:

I found Kelly very good

I found Kelly very good

Yeah he was really good. Kinda **** the way he mainly focused on just short story essay cause im not planning on doing it. *But thats just bullsh1t* :rolleyes:

spurious wrote: »
    Do you think things would be different for the teachers in your school if everyone in the class was paying to be there?

Most definitely. I'm not giving out about my teachers, I think they are brillant but I think it takes a lot to be able to control a class especially if they are 70+ people in the room and its an hour and a half long. Although the two are completely different situations because people are paying to be in the Institute, they want to be there and do the best they can. That's not always the case.

Yeah he was really good. Kinda **** the way he mainly focused on just short story essay cause im not planning on doing it. *But thats just bullsh1t* :rolleyes:

He didnt do that with us today, we did paper one today.

• Advertisement

He didnt do that with us today, we did paper one today.

Yeah so did we... the short story option for the essay, and went through King Lear quotes at the start.

We did the short story essay briefly, we did some of the other ones aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Cathy Sweeny for English, Corinne Gavenda for French and William Murphy for Business.
    Hilarious indeed:rolleyes:. He's awesome at slagging people too:p

theowen wrote: »
    Hilarious indeed:rolleyes:. He's awesome at slagging people too:p

Lol, he also randomnly shouts orders at people to explain what he has just said and I jump everytime! He's great at getting everyone interested in what he says and making things more realistic. I enjoy the class anyway, the time flies by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Susan Sulke's biology was brillaint even if it was a bit boring. Does anyone Corinne's French for the 4th class? It was painfully boring.

kev9100 wrote: »
    Does anyone Corinne's French for the 4th class? It was painfully boring.

Yeah I do :) Probably saw you there. I like what we were doing, the phrases and all that but an hour and a half is very long when you are going over the same thing again and again. I love listening to her speaking french but regretting that I picked it last class because all i want to do is go home!

Yeah I do :) Probably saw you there. I like what we were doing, the phrases and all that but an hour and a half is very long when you are going over the same thing again and again. I love listening to her speaking french but regretting that I picked it last class because all i want to do is go home!

She's definitely a really good teacher but all that grammar stuff is just too much for me. Her advice on the exam technique was brilliant though.

She's definitely a really good teacher but all that grammar stuff is just too much for me. Her advice on the exam technique was brilliant though.

I had to sit near the front so i'd keep focused :o yeah definitely I hadn't heard a lot of it before and giving us hints about topics was great.It's definitely worth it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I hear the teachers in the IOE are excellent!

There are some excellent teachers in my school! Especially my Accounting and Geography teachers! My Geography teacher was offered a place to teach in the IOE (apparently), but she stayed in my school (thank God!).

I love teachers that are able to control even the worst of classes without shouting or giving punishments. Some teachers just have a natural ability to make everybody work and listen. I think that teachers (especially young ones) that come in and harp on about punishments, penalty sheets, signing homework journals, telling form teachers, ringing parents etc. aren't really cut out for controlling the class - but maybe it's a thing that comes with experience?

On a slightly unrelated note, did anybody go to the HL Maths Revision in TCD, with George Humphrey and Brendan Guildea? I went, and I thought it was excellent! George Humphrey is an excellent teacher, he makes you understand it really well, but still moving through the topics quickly.

On a slightly unrelated note, did anybody go to the HL Maths Revision in TCD, with George Humphrey and Brendan Guildea? I went, and I thought it was excellent! George Humphrey is an excellent teacher, he makes you understand it really well, but still moving through the topics quickly.

I didn't go but a good few of my friends went and thought it was really good. My teacher is giving a lecture there on Vectors for Paper 2. She's absolutely amazing, you'll love her.
    I've been lucky enough to get great teachers in my school but there's one or two that don't stick to the course. I think the revision course in the Institute is brillant because the teachers have marked the papers, they know what they're looking for and it's great to get things for a different point of view.

• Advertisement

I think the revision course in the Institute is brillant because the teachers have marked the papers, they know what they're looking for and it's great to get things for a different point of view.

I think that's one of the best parts as well. For example, although my normal French teacher is pretty good he never would have told us to use the infinitive more like Corinne did.

I think that's one of the best parts as well. For example, although my normal French teacher is pretty good he never would have told us to use the infinitive more like Corinne did.

Very true, I didn't know that certain words were ticked and then they count them at the end at all. Now we can change phrases to get more infinitives. My teacher also said that they look at all of the opinions separately and you can use the same phrases three times, but after today I don't think you can, good to know.

Does anyone Corinne's French for the 4th class?

Yeah i was in there today too. I thought yesterday was so boring, but today she was brilliant with the ticks thing, i never knew anything about it before :eek:

Thats mad i could have been sitting beside one of you's for all i know.....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What is this ticks thing in French? My teacher never mentioned it (he's useless).

Yeah i was in there today too. I thought yesterday was so boring, but today she was brilliant with the ticks thing, i never knew anything about it before :eek:

Thats mad i could have been sitting beside one of you's for all i know.....:rolleyes:

It's a small world! I see you're from Swords, not being a stalker or anything but how do you get home? I live don't live that far out but I have to walk to O'Connell Street and get a 16A. I don't get home until twenty to 6!, takes forever!
    What is this ticks thing in French? My teacher never mentioned it (he's useless).

An examiner would tick every infinitive verb they see (like aller/parler etc) or other things like de (not sure why) and at the end they count them all up and determin your grade. So if you change sentences you can use more infinitives and get more ticks. My mind was blown :cool:

It's a small world! I see you're from Swords, not being a stalker or anything but how do you get home? I live don't live that far out but I have to walk to O'Connell Street and get a 16A. I don't get home until twenty to 6!, takes forever!

If you have a bus ticket just hop on a bus down as far as o'connell. I haven't gone home afterwards anyday, ive been going to clarehall. I just hop on a 128 at the top of lesson st. You could always get that and then get a 17a from malahide road, it would prob be much quicker, and wouldn't mean getting soaked in the rain.

It took me about twenty five minutes to clarehall. So add another few to that. Id say getting 16a takes years with traffic on dorset st.

Btw i get 41x in, in the mornings, goes through port tunnel, takes about 50 mins from Swords to lesson st. :)

It's also a good idea to use the futur proche instead of the futur simple. For example, say "Je vais aller" instead of "J`irai".

If yesterday's french class was bad, today's was bloody awful. I counted at least 3 people who looked like they had fallen asleep.

Sorry but were you sitting near the back? THat curly headed dude had his head like half on top of my desk......:mad:
    She has really good notes, but its so tiring.

Did you see when she asked whats 'to be' in the past particible and it was ..silence..

• Advertisement

Sorry but were you sitting near the back? THat curly headed dude had his head like half on top of my desk......:mad:
    She has really good notes, but its so tiring.

Did you see when she asked whats 'to be' in the past particible and it was ..silence..

I don't think so...... what side were you sitting on ?

Advertisement