Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dog Owner, advice needed

Options
  • 19-03-2010 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I am getting a pure bred labrador in the coming weeks. I am very excited but have never owned a dog before, luckily my boyfriend has. my question is, in the future when i have kids could to dog get jealous of the child? and is there any solution to dog poo, if the dog goes out into the garden, do i have to go out and do a poo inspection before i let the child out?
    Crazy question probably i know but just would like an opinion.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

i believe dogs can get jealous of children, but this will depend on how you handle the dog and the situation, when the time comes i would speak to a profesional dog trainer in person with the dog

as for dog poop - i'm afraid it's one of the many joys of dog ownership, "Scoop the poop" as i like to call it when i go out every night to the garden (and i don't have kids) if your dog poops in the garden i would advice clearing it daily, not so daunting as weekly, plus it's easier when "fresh" alternatively you could find/train your dog only to poop on the walks then you can scoop as your out and back garden will be fine

hope this helped

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

PaulB91 wrote: »
    i believe dogs can get jealous of children, but this will depend on how you handle the dog and the situation, when the time comes i would speak to a profesional dog trainer in person with the dog
    Absolutely. Yes, dogs can get jealous of children, but at the same time they're a pack animal and are accepting of new members to their pack (i.e. your family), you just need to know how to introduce them properly. Done correctly, a dog can be very protective (but you don't want them overly so!) and nurturing towards a new child.
    Basic rule is that you never, ever leave children and animals unattended together until the child is strong and aware enough to control the animal themselves. Depends on the animal, but for a lab this wouldn't be until the child is almost a teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

seamus wrote: »
    Absolutely. Yes, dogs can get jealous of children, but at the same time they're a pack animal and are accepting of new members to their pack (i.e. your family), you just need to know how to introduce them properly. Done correctly, a dog can be very protective (but you don't want them overly so!) and nurturing towards a new child.
    Basic rule is that you never, ever leave children and animals unattended together until the child is strong and aware enough to control the animal themselves. Depends on the animal, but for a lab this wouldn't be until the child is almost a teenager.

ye prooblem with labs are that they are strong and bostrous so could knock a child over playing if nothing else, great for Rugby trainin i found as a kid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

daeriam :) wrote: »
    . could to dog get jealous of the child?
    yes but if you handel it right there should be no probs ;)

. and is there any solution to dog poo,
    Get the boyfreind to pick it up, dont forget there is house training to worry about

. if the dog goes out into the garden, do i have to go out and do a poo inspection before i let the child out?,
    if you are worming your dog there should be no reason to worry about poo but you should allways clean it up (afterall it is poo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 daeriam :)

how would i train the dog to only poo when out on walks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

you cant , unless you going to walk them 3-6 times a day

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Treat him when he poos when and where you want him to, reward him for behavior you approve of, don't treat him if he does something you don't want him to. When you're house training him every time he pees outside reward him with a treat, you must be consistent for the first few months, and its best to bring him outside on a lead to an area that you want him to go in every time for the first few months and reward him immediately every-time. We just Let our lab outside to poop where he pleased in our garden, we were so delighted he wasn't doing it in the house, but now he just goes wherever he wants, so lesson learned for me!
    Labs are so clever and affectionate, you shouldn't have much trouble training him!

thanks a mill to everyone for there great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

my question is, in the future when i have kids could to dog get jealous of the child?
    Thanks

have you told the boyfriend about these future kids????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

If you feed your dog and crate him for a half hour to an hour afterwards, then walk him your almost guaranteed a poo when your out :D
    However saying that there's always the exception to the rule and my 8 month old Rottie is this, she will only poop in my back garden!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Labradors are a very excitable dog when they're young. Most calm down by the age of 2 - however I had one that made no sign of slowing down before he was 5. Ours just turned 1... funny how you forget how much work a labrador puppy is until you have one again.

This means two things - they are not ideal pets to have with very young children as they don't understand that knocking over a child is bad (the dog simply thinks he's playing) but that if you're not planning on having kids for a while... doggy might be calm by the time you do have them.

However, yes, there could be issues with jealousy. A few sessions with a behaviourist before (for education) and after would be a wise investment.

Labradors are by and large, lovely dogs. If buying from a breeder, you have to make sure they come from reputable ones (does doggy come with health clearances from both parents for example, including hip and elbow scores?) They're excellent starter dogs as well, as they are very eager to please and relatively easy to train.

If you've never owned a dog before make sure to take doggy to obedience classes - they're more for the owner than the dog.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    have you told the boyfriend about these future kids????

ha ha ha, of course he is well aware of these possible future kids, he gets a big baby on all four's and i get one on two legs!! Its a fair deal i think :)

Advertisement