Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect via wired ethernet

Options
  • 19-03-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

Have been using a wireless router for the past couple of years with no problem. But have come across a recent need to the use a wired connection on the same network.

However, after connecting the laptop directly to the router with an ethernet cable i get the "limited or no connectivity" message. I am sure there is something amiss with the settings on the laptop, as i have an Xbox 360 hooked up (wired) to the router and am having no problems with it; having kept the settings that were on the Xbox straight out of the box.

Hopefully someone has a few ideas as to what i can do. Just about to try a different laptop to confirm my thoughts about the settings on the original laptop, but maybe someone can suggest some possible solutions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Just found out it was a problem witht he firewall. I'm using Comodo and the program was blocking svchost.exe. There is an option to 'Define a new trusted application/process'. But i'm wondering how i go about allowing svchost.exe access for connection to the internet without risking the security of the system, as i believe svchost comes up a lot of the time when your computer is being attacked??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

gnolan wrote: »
    Just found out it was a problem witht he firewall. I'm using Comodo and the program was blocking svchost.exe. There is an option to 'Define a new trusted application/process'. But i'm wondering how i go about allowing svchost.exe access for connection to the internet without risking the security of the system, as i believe svchost comes up a lot of the time when your computer is being attacked??

Make sure your using a straight-through (patch) cable.
    Check to see if there is a statically assigned IP address on the laptops interface that's in a differant network range than the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

accensi0n wrote: »
    Check to see if there is a statically assigned IP address on the laptops interface that's in a differant network range than the router.

Neither of which make any sense. He could use a crossover cable and connect in to a router just fine.
    It has already been established his problem is the software firewall.

Limited or no connectivity as a message means he has DHCP enabled and is not getting an IP address automatically.

There should be some sort of option to trust an interface or subnet.

accensi0n wrote: »

I have the laptop's ip set static at 192.168.10, and i think the range for the router is 0-254.

I'm not sure what you mean by straight-though (patch) cable. I'm using a 2m RJ45 cable to connect directly from laptop to router.

gnolan you just need to allow access for that subnet. I am not familiar with comodo and do not trust software firewalls.

You should not have to give svchost full access, just trust the subnet you are on and that should be enough. If not then that firewall is not doing a very good job, a fault I find with a lot of them.

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    gnolan you just need to allow access for that subnet. I am not familiar with comodo and do not trust software firewalls.

You should not have to give svchost full access, just trust the subnet you are on and that should be enough. If not then that firewall is not doing a very good job, a fault I find with a lot of them.

Thats the problem i'm having. I don't know how to do this. Usually when comodo blocks something it is at your request. So what i expected to happen was, when i plugged in the cable i would get a popup asking whether the firewall should allow svchost access to.....whatever. But this hasn't happened this time which leads me to believe i have blocked access to it before and told the firewall to remember this action, meaning it won't prompt me to allow/deny access this time round.

Been searching the program and can't find anything about allowing subnets. There are option labelled 'network zones', 'port sets' and the like, but tbh i can't really work it out

Saruman wrote: »
    Neither of which make any sense. He could use a crossover cable and connect in to a router just fine.
    It has already been established his problem is the software firewall.

Limited or no connectivity as a message means he has DHCP enabled and is not getting an IP address automatically.

There should be some sort of option to trust an interface or subnet.

Cheers.

gnolan wrote: »
    Been searching the program and can't find anything about allowing subnets. There are option labelled 'network zones', 'port sets' and the like, but tbh i can't really work it out

From a bit of googling:

The "remember my action" rules are in -> Advanced -> Network Security Policy

Maybe post up what's in the network monitor section like here:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/141634d1227557087/network-monitor.jpg

Is there anything blocked in there?

What's in "network zones"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Do you need the Laptop on a Static IP for a reason?

If it's not important just remove the Static IP & tell the connection to "Obtain IP Automatically" It will connect then.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Do you need the Laptop on a Static IP for a reason?

If it's not important just remove the Static IP & tell the connection to "Obtain IP Automatically" It will connect then.

-

I think from reading the posts that it was on DHCP but for troubleshooting purposes he has since assigned a static IP address to be on the safe side.

accensi0n's post looks like it will be helpful in sorting out the issue with the firewall settings.

• Advertisement

I'm still getting around to sorting this out, thanks for the help

EDIT: I now remember why i have a static IP. It was necessary for forwarding ports for utorrent

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Got sorted here

Advertisement