Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 playback through radio via bluetooth handsfree kit?

• 19-03-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I've a Parrot bluetooth handsfree kit in my car (got it through work, not sure what model) and when a call comes through the radio is cut off and the call is played back through the car's speakers.

I'd like to get MP3 playback from my HTC HD2 through the car's speakers. Car has no line in and I find those FM tuner yokes useless.

Given that the handsfree kit has the ability to output audio via the car's speakers, I was hoping that I could just play MP3s from the phone through it over bluetooth. The Parrot menu doesn't have any option or settings that would suggest this is possible.

Is there a way to do this, either with this or with another handsfree kit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would imagine not.

From what you say, I would guess your setup is like this:

phone <--bluetooth-->carkit<--wires-->car stereo

The phone -> carkit connection is probably using the headset Bluetooth profile, which I believe doesn't support audio streaming.

So I wouldn't say it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh, you've captured it correctly there Tom and the carkit connection is using the Bluetooth profile which doesn't look like it currently supports streaming, but you'd wonder why it's not possible. Looks like the hardware can support it as it plays the audio for calls no problem, so wonder is it a software restriction, and if so, can this be overcome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Looks like the hardware can support it as it plays the audio for calls no problem, so wonder is it a software restriction, and if so, can this be overcome?

Ah, but the hardware can support audio calls, which are much lower quality than stereo audio. Can you imagine streaming your latest Lady GaGa songs at telephone line quality? :)

My point being, the carkit probably only supports phoneline quality audio and cannot support two-channel, high-quality audio. So I would say it is a hardware limitation, rather than a software limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I just discovered (quite by accident actually!) that I can play audio from my N97 mini through the bluetooth connection to my Nokia CK-7 handsfree car kit (through the car stereo speakers) so it is possible. The quality isn't great though - I'm not sure I could live with it all the time. Hard to describe but it sounds a bit 'boxy' and has no bottom end. I guess it's confined to using telephone voice frequencies. Also, it seems to be just mono. I hate those FM tuners too (have one for my iPod) but the audio quality is far better than using the bluetooth/phone configuration.

Advertisement