Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public transport to Dunbrody House--help

• 19-03-2010 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a gift voucher for Dunbrody House and I need to get there by public transport so hopefully a local can help me!

I've been told to get a bus to Waterford or New Ross and then a taxi. I've been looking on the AA route planner site and it looks like a car ferry trip is part of the route. I can't afford an hour in a taxi but I think surely there must be a closer bus stop, followed by a short taxi trip. Local knowledge needed please:)

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I'm not too familiar with buses in that area, but as far as I'm aware public transport is seriously limited.

One option might be to catch the train to Campile and then a hackney from there. The only problem is there is only 1 train each way a day (and none on Sundays) which would seriously limit you. The only practical way for it to work that I can see is
    >Bus to Waterford >train to Campile (17:00ish)
    and when returning >train to Rosslare (17:30ish) >Bus home.

If you are going with the ways you suggested I'd probably pick New Ross rather than Waterford - the taxi drivers are more likely to see Arthurstown/Ballyhack as being in their hinterland and less likely to fleece you. I'm sure others will give you the names of some local firms who you could ring and talk about the cost of transport with before travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

There is no public transport to Dunbrody House. If you are coming from Waterford, get a bus to passage east. Then ferry to Ballyhack. approx 1 mile walk to DH.
    or
    Train to Campile about 5.30 or 6.00 and taxi from Campile or about 4 or 5 miles walk.
    or
    Bus to campile from New Ross - one in the evening about 6.30 then Taxi.

Biggest problem is Time. If you are going in the evening, the only way back to Waterford is by Taxi via New Ross - last ferry is 8pm at present 10pm next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Thank you so much for the replies. This seems really complicated, I don't really want to drive as I have no idea where I'd be going but wondering if it might be a better option despite my nerves about doing so.

I have a spa voucher, would be staying overnight but leaving around 5pm the next day.

How long would it take to get there from Waterford or New Ross? I've never been on one of those ferrys, it's all new to me.

I live in Cork city so it wouldn't make much difference to me to get a bus to Waterford or New Ross. I have no problem getting a taxi for a short distance but I don't want to be getting a taxi to somewhere that's an hours drive.

Is there somewhere I could get timetables for buses/trains to campile, ferrys?

The ferry is every 10mins or so, it just goes over and back.

Driving should be fine tbh, you've good roads all the way to waterford city and its straight forward enough to get from there to passage east (via ard keen).

Once you've crossed the ferry its pretty much follow the road to dunbrody.

Driving is by far the easiest way. From Cork head for Rosslare - signposted all the way. This will take you straight to New Ross. With the new bridge and Waterford bypass its as quick to go this way as it is to use the ferry.

Over the bridge in New Ross, turn right. Pass the Dunbrody Ship and take the the first right - signpost for Arthurstown amongst others. Out this road take third right - again signposted for Arthurstown. Continue until you see a church on your right. Turn to the right, down beside the church. This road will take you to Arthurstown passing Dunbrody Abbey. In Arthurstown Village, turn left at the crossroads. DH is just up the hill on the right. Approx 2 hours from Cork City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree that driving is the only reasonable way to do it. And while I love using the ferry, the drive to it is unnecessarily complicated for someone coming from Cork, the directions above would be much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    Driving is by far the easiest way. From Cork head for Rosslare - signposted all the way. This will take you straight to New Ross. With the new bridge and Waterford bypass its as quick to go this way as it is to use the ferry.

Over the bridge in New Ross, turn right. Pass the Dunbrody Ship and take the the first right - signpost for Arthurstown amongst others. Out this road take third right - again signposted for Arthurstown. Continue until you see a church on your right. Turn to the right, down beside the church. This road will take you to Arthurstown passing Dunbrody Abbey. In Arthurstown Village, turn left at the crossroads. DH is just up the hill on the right. Approx 2 hours from Cork City.

Thank you, that's really clear. I'm not the most confident driver but main road to Rosslare should be fine, similar to Cork-Killarney which I do a lot. Avoiding the car ferry would suit me fine, I'm totally unfamiliar with the procedure involved.

Just in case I back out of driving how far is Dunbrody from New Ross? Is it realistic to get a taxi? It doesn't sound too far from the directions.

This lack of public transport can't be great for business/tourism at Dunbrody House.

the place is very popular and busy and the location is amazing!

Cork to Waterford should be fine, you'll be on nice road, same from Waterford to New Ross (one road all the way). You'll be 20mins or so I think from New Ross to Dunbrody House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

sunnyside wrote: »
    Just in case I back out of driving how far is Dunbrody from New Ross? Is it realistic to get a taxi? It doesn't sound too far from the directions.

This lack of public transport can't be great for business/tourism at Dunbrody House.

Google maps is your friend ! Arthurstown , where Dunbrody house is, is a very small fishing village and there's not a chance you're ever going to have public transport serving it! A taxi form New Ross would probably cost you at least €15 each way.

15 mins will get you to Arthurstown from New Ross. You'll be fine driving - road from NR is not bad. Honest! Taxi is likely to cost at least €20 each way - if the driver is having a good day - and you can get one!

BTW, dont forget to let them know you are coming - as an OP has said, they are usually busy, lot of weddings book out the whole place.

Most importantly, dont worry so much about the journey, look forward to and enjoy the experience - the food is wonderful. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

DH is approx 12 miles from New Ross - I was there last night. The directions above are spot on - follow those and you'll be grand. Enjoy!

Advertisement