Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Propagator Mould

Options
  • 19-03-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I've a bit of an issue with some seeds I planted a few days ago just wondering if anyone can help.
    As per the Gardeners World magazine I planted some sweet pea and tomato in toilet tubes and put them in my unheated propagator. Ive kept the little holes at the top of the propagator open during the day because it was getting a bit of condensation. I just took the lid off for a peak and there is a furry grey mould on the outside of the tubes and a little on the compost. I was planning on using these plants in my allotment but I really don't want to transplant them later and risk transferring an infection - grey mould ruined my peas last year.
    Soooo should i dump them and start again? Repot them in plastic, or just let them be?
    Any help would be very much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have done a similar job using newspaper 'pots', and I also got mould. It didn't harm the plants but I was a bit unimpressed. I put in more compost to cover the paper, and tore the top edge down a bit so it was covered. Try giving it a bit more ventilation.

I don't know for certain but I think the mould on peas is not the same as you get on the card/paper, maybe someone else will know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Thanks for that Looksee, yes the mould seems furrier (if thats a word!!) than the one that was on my peas, the little shoots have started popping up so I'd be upset if I had to chuck them out!
    Thats a good idea about the compost, I'll try that when I get home :)

Advertisement