Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

qs on using wifi hotspot

• 19-03-2010 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

When connecting to a wireless hotspot from my phone should i use the phone encryption or is the encryption provided by the wireless provider.

Also do i need to have a firewall installed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The wireless Access Point you connect to should use encryption. But remember, that encryption is only between your phone and the AP. Anything sent from your phone off to the internet may not be encrypted.

As for the firewall, ideally yes, but I don't think there are too many firewall products for phones yet. Plus, the risk of catching a virus on a phone is particularly low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭estreetb

im confused, Its encrypted but not encrypted

so should i use encryption software on the ph when connecting to the net

estreetb wrote: »
    im confused, Its encrypted but not encrypted

so should i use encryption software on the ph when connecting to the net

It's like this:

phone <----encrypted---->Access Point<----not encrypted---->internet

You don't technically use encryption software, the 802.11x wireless standard does. This is the "language" of wireless devices such as your phone and the AP. So whoever configures the AP decides whether the connection uses encryption or not. You have to use what the AP uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭estreetb

will the phone notify me if the access point is not encrypted

estreetb wrote: »
    will the phone notify me if the access point is not encrypted

Well put it this way - if it is encrypted, you will need to enter the WEP key on the phone. So yes, the phone will tell you.

It is no different to connecting a laptop to a wireless network.

• Advertisement
Advertisement