Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to revitalise a leather bag?

• 19-03-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to revitalise a black leather bag? The leather is fading in colour and getting wore out looking in a couple of places. Foolishly I didn't use protector spray after I bought it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

You could try using saddle soap and leather oil. A combination of both should liven up the leather again and may put a bit of a shine on it, but it more than likely won't repair the leather that's worn. However, just be warned that the leather oil will dullen it a bit, so when it's dried in properly (give it a few days) use the saddle soap on it again.

Saddle soaps with glycerine in them are best as they give a good shine to the leather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

convert wrote: »
    You could try using saddle soap and leather oil. A combination of both should liven up the leather again and may put a bit of a shine on it, but it more than likely won't repair the leather that's worn. However, just be warned that the leather oil will dullen it a bit, so when it's dried in properly (give it a few days) use the saddle soap on it again.

Saddle soaps with glycerine in them are best as they give a good shine to the leather.

Will the oil ruin clothes?

You need to give it a while to be absorbed, so if you give it 10 days or a week it should be fine. Still, no harm to wipe it with a dry cloth before you use it to take off any excess oil. Wrapping it in paper after you've put the oil on it will also help.

I've often ridden in saddles the day after I've oiled them, and while it will leave some residue on cream jodhpurs, it will come out when washed. Best advice is to leave the oil soak in for a while and then give the bag a good wipe with a cloth before using it.

Advertisement