Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway The "Smart""Green" Technology Hub Needs To Learn From The Best.

Options
  • 19-03-2010 4:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

And according to Niall O Brolcháin we really need to learn from Cuba. This from a man who has not updated his OWN website in nearly 3 years :eek:
    He also pointed out that Cuba is “a world leader in sustainable living” with Havana producing 80 per cent of its food supply from within the region.

“Cuba is renowned for providing a world class health care system on a low budget and is now embracing new technologies in order to progress,” said Cllr Ó Brolcháin.

Thats becuase they are the only country in the western hemisphere that uses asscarts Niall .....you silly green pixie you and they have 3 growing seasons in dem tropics so they do.
    “Galway is ideally placed as a technological and research hub to facilitate a transfer of initiatives and ideas to emerging economies.”

Meaning he wants to teach them how to take our remaining jobs...China style. That is what "transfer" means in Green pixieland.

Unsurprisingly Niall found someone interested in what he was saying :(

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/23322
    The Cuban Ambassador, Teresita Trujillo, is keen to visit Galway in an official capacity to discuss new technologies and high-level research and development initiatives.

The ambassador made her views known in a meeting with Galway Green senator, Niall Ó Brolcháin, who is supportive of such a visit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Sounds pretty good, I'd vote for him and his party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

BUSINESSES URGED TO SUPPORT TRANSPORT INITIATIVES

March 19, 2010 - 4:12pm
    Businesses operating in Galway are being called on to help finance new measures that will enhance traffic management during the Volvo Ocean race stopover.
    Green Party Senator Niall O Brolchain says the traffic gridlock at the Galway docks must be addressed before the 2012 race arrives in the city.
    He says Galway must push ahead with initiatives such as incorporating a bus lane along the docks road in the city, as well as the opening of a cycle lane from Oranmore to Barna.
    Senator O'Brolchain is urging the Galway business community to support the transport initiatives.

I really don't know what to say.

He didn't get elected but was handed a seat in the Seanad. It's a joke. He doesn't think the Galway Bypass is necessary, does he think that the above will solve Galway's major traffic problems?

A bus lane along by the docks would not ease the gridlock along the Dock Road, it will probably make it 45% worse. Ridiculous idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Damn beardie lefties!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sponge Bob,

Genuinely, thank you soooo much!

I've had a sh1t few days and reading this latest story of Darby O'Brolchain and the Little Peoples' latest adventure has given me a great laugh:D

God knows where his next adventures bring him.

Mary Coughlan never spoke a truer word than when she referred in an Irish language interview to the Greens as, na Glasrai - the vegetables.

...but seriously this ludicrous buffoon is a Senator! Boggles the mind.

KevR wrote: »
    I really don't know what to say.

He didn't get elected but was handed a seat in the Seanad. It's a joke. He doesn't think the Galway Bypass is necessary, does he think that the above will solve Galway's major traffic problems?

A bus lane along by the docks would not ease the gridlock along the Dock Road, it will probably make it 45% worse. Ridiculous idea.

KevR, how dare you. A cycle lane from Oranmore to Galway is vital to the development of Galway! :D

And sure we need more buses at the docks. Who needs room for cars used by evil carbon producing people!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just in case there are any Galway business people on here who are considering answering O'Brolchain's call for support on the Dock Road bus lane - I will definitely not be supporting any business who contributes towards a bus lane on that road. Whether you care or not is a different story..
    churchview wrote:
    KevR, how dare you. A cycle lane from Oranmore to Galway is vital to the development of Galway!
    There's already a cycle path (cycle path > cycle lane) from Westside to Ballybrit, it would be nice if it stretched from Oranmore to Barna but I wouldn't consider it as any sort of a priority when looking to solve congestion in Galway. Ironically, the worst congested section of Barna-Oranmore is actually Westside-Ballybrit!

PS - Western Distributer road has cycle lane also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    And according to Niall O Brolcháin we really need to learn from Cuba.

Obviously not heard about the new kick-ass CP's opening up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Those cycle lanes are pretty bad in terms of surfacing, rejoining the road etc., they are not really designed for cyclists in mind, more like to get cyclists out of the way of motorists.

KevR wrote: »
    Just in case there are any Galway business people on here who are considering answering O'Brolchain's call for support on the Dock Road bus lane - I will definitely not be supporting any business who contributes towards a bus lane on that road. Whether you care or not is a different story..

You know that's actually a really good idea. I've been despairing at the thought that this fool will be listened to until the next election (even though he is unelected), because Fianna Fail will put up with this crap to hold onto power. At least the Greens will be gone after the next election. So politically, it seems that noone can touch them right now. But, boycotting businesses that support the crap he spouts might at least have some positive effect, even if it's minimal. It might just cause some pause for rational thought.

Anything that can be done to prevent O'Brolchain and his band of merry men damaging Galway more by pursuing their fairy tales will be positive. Ensuring that local businesses and employers reject his nonsense will be a great start.

Any chance that instead of inviting the Cubans to Galway, Niall could be sent to Cuba on a fact finding mission....i don't know....for a year, or two, or three? I'll start the whip around to buy him a ticket (one way).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Rejected by us and then has the nerve to lecture us on how we should be like cuba! wtf!

• Advertisement

Ah now be fair. At least he's showing some logic finally.

The "Senator" wasn't exactly elected (having been rejected as a Councillor and a TD) and Castro and Co. aren't exactly elected either.

So credit where credit is due. At least he's now consorting with people who are similar to his own cronies in that they're holding on for dear life to the "power" they have left, trying to postpone their inevitable demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

LOL!

Do ya know what else would be nice and i hope i speak for the majority....

it would be great if the greens just **** off, **** right off!! seriously **** off to cuba if its such a great place! gob****es!

/ rant

i feel so much better after that!

snubbleste wrote: »
    Those cycle lanes are pretty bad in terms of surfacing, rejoining the road etc., they are not really designed for cyclists in mind, more like to get cyclists out of the way of motorists.

I used to cycle Westside-Ballbrit everyday for almost 5 years and was really appreciative of those cycle paths. A few thousand kilometres cycled and no incidents or near misses - from my point of view those cycle paths did their job perfectly.

The surface isn't absolutely perfect in some spots but it isn't aweful either. Some roads are in far worse condition for cycling or driving on and some footpaths are worse for walking on.

Maybe the way the cycle paths rejoin the road at the roundabouts could have been done a little better but it is quite difficult at roundabouts to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I'm not against the opening of any cycle lanes as long as it's not a quick fix job, ie making driving lanes to narrow where wing mirrors a sent flying by oncoming traffic :eek:
    If they were done right I would welcome them, and use them....
    As for the whole O'Brolchain/Green issue, I wish they would all fcuk off and die. I am seriously fed up with the whole lot of them. Incompetent, useless, scaremongering,ill informed shower of **** the lot of them....
    Sorry for the rant...
    :(

Advertisement