Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog rolling in Poo

Options
  • 19-03-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice from anybody who had/has the same problem.

I have a 10month old Foot Beagle who likes to roll in other dogs faeces when we're out. Normally we go to the beech/park/forest about four times a week where I let him off the lead for a good run, other days we go for a walk around the area and he's on the lead.

This only happens when he's off the lead and to say it's a nightmare would be an understatement. To get to these places we go in car so when he's full of poo it's just awful. The car has to be washed out and he has to bathed too.

I know they do it to disguse their own scent and I also know that If I keep him on the lead he wont do it but I would hate to think he couldn't have a run around ever again.

Has anyone ever overcame this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Is he neutered ?? How did you house train him ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

http://www.school-for-champions.com/behavior/dogs_roll.htm
    There are several theories on why a dog will roll in something smelly. Although there is a temptation to scold your dog, it is best to realize it is natural behavior and make sure your pet doesn't have the opportunity to roll in stuff.

Reasons they do it

There are a variety of reasons and theories why a dog will roll in something that smells bad. But first of all, you must realize that what smells bad to humans may not smell so bad to a dog.
    Cover up perfume

Sometimes dogs will roll in the grass or in something smelly right after getting a bath. Some dog shampoos have perfumes that may be pleasant to humans but smell awful to the animal. It is just an effort to mask the unpleasant and un-dog-like odor.
    Mask own scent for hunting

The major theory why dogs will roll in smelly material is based on the relationship of domesticated canines to wolves.
    Wolves will often roll in decomposing carcasses or the feces of plant eating animals or herbivores. This would mask their own scent and enable them to sneak up on their prey without detection. It could even fool members of the other species into accepting it as one of their own. This ancient instinct may have carried over to domesticated dogs.
    Working and hunting dogs tend to roll in smelly stuff more often than other breeds. Perhaps this is because they are more closely related to wolves.
    Advertise to the pack

Another school for thought is that dogs may roll in feces or a dead animal's remains to "advertise" what they have found to other members of the pack. Rolling in the material is a way for your dog to let you know that it found something interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Is he neutered ?? How did you house train him ??

No he isn't neutered. We house trained him by letting him out very often and when he pee'd we would give him lots of praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

My Dog used to do this but then I figured out she would do it within a day or so of her being washed. Changed the type of doggie shampoo we used.

My Dog used to do this but then I figured out she would do it within a day or so of her being washed. Changed the type of doggie shampoo we used.

We dont wash him often only when he decides to go for a roll. Did changing the shampoo work for you?

• Advertisement

No he isn't neutered.
    might be worth looking into
    We house trained him by letting him out very often and when he pee'd we would give him lots of praise.
    the reason i asked was some times if the shove their nose in it way of traing them is used it can lead to poo issues

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Has anyone ever overcame this problem?

Basically there is nothing much you can do to change this behaviour other than not let it happen.

Work on the recall and don't let the dog run too far.
    Learn to read his body languague and anticipiate when he's about to "dive" into something and call him off.
    Don't let him run off where you can't see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ehh, no

I can tell you from my own experience that neutered dogs are perfectly happy to roll in decayed seaweed, half rotten seagull corpses, nauseous bogholes, cowpads, horsedung and my all time favourite ...fox poo :D

the reason i asked was some times if the shove their nose in it way of traing them is used it can lead to poo issues

Mmmm...never thought of that. I was going to wait until he's a little older before getting him done. Something to think about, cheers crotalus

peasant wrote: »
    ehh, no

I can tell you from my own experience that neutered dogs are perfectly happy to roll in decayed seaweed, half rotten seagull corpses, nauseous bogholes, cowpads, horsedung and my all time favourite ...fox poo :D
    it worked with my grandmothers dog (he would roll in anything a fav of his was any thing that had been dead a while :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

peasant wrote: »
    ehh, no

I agree. I have a spayed cocker and she is a "roller". At this stage I have given up and I have to walk her on a retractable lead - even then she stills tries to do it!

Its a nightmare when they do it. Even recently I had the 2 dogs in the car on the way for a walk in a park. Stopped off at the folks house on the way. Forgot about the "roller" and let her run around the garden. 2 minutes later she reappears with a big smile on her face and sh*ite all over her body. Walk cancelled, drove home with the windows down, put on the rubber gloves and washed her in the shower. Nightmare!

Unfortunately only solution I can see is keep them on the lead!

Unfortunately only solution I can see is keep them on the lead!

It looks like it alright. I was looking on line last night for really long retractable leads, the longest I could find was 8m. Does anyone know where to get longer?

It looks like it alright. I was looking on line last night for really long retractable leads, the longest I could find was 8m. Does anyone know where to get longer?
    maybe as a last resort try a water pistol (you would still have have to keep him on the leash incase he legs it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

There's some really good advice on this thread so far :) Would just like to add to this that it's advisable to use a specific dog shampoo for your dog rather than your own. If you're very stuck, baby shampoo (diluted) should be fine but rinse it out very well! More Info

I'm sure someone will reply that they use head and shoulders and the dog is fine but... Humans and dogs have a different skin ph so long term use can cause hotspots and irritations, imo its better to use an oatmeal based dog shampoo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

my fella did this the other day down the park, but its been about 4 weeks since he was washed so havent a notion why he did it :p

the smell in the car after was dire!

he seemed to think it was great doh!

Advertisement