Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a Diesel Saloon Car.

• 19-03-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for recommendations for a Diesel Car.

New baby on the scene and theres not enough room in the Astra. Also want to drive to the UK with him and the misses to see family over there in the summer.

Need:

1. Big Boot to carry two suite cases and baby equipment.
    2. 6 Speed gearbox for motorway driving.
    3. Plenty of poke - dont like underpowered cars.
    4. Comfortable.

Car will also be used for a daily commute of 100 miles.

Budget up to 10k at max but max 2l diesel engine.

Currently thinking Ford Mondeo 130bhp - Vauxhall Vectra 150bhp - VW Passat 130bhp.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I may as well just say it now before the rest of the cult say it:

A Skoda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Skoda Superb 2.5 V6 TDI Saloon

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hal1 wrote: »
    Skoda Superb 2.5 V6 TDI Saloon

Max 2litre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Skoda Superb 1.9 TDI Saloon

Next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Forget about a saloon, go for a hatchback. It makes more sense when you are trying to work around a buggy in the boot. That would rule the Passat out. I have a Mondeo diesel, getting 50mpg, 2 kids and whatever they need. You will need a buggy that flods down like a stroller so you could fit some suit cases in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Personally I think the old 1.9TDi is past its sell by at this stage. For me, I'd pick the Passat '06 onwards with the 2.0TDi, or an A4 '05 onwards if you could find one (would be high miler at that budget).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

A6, you should be able to get a decent new shape '05 with the 140bhp 2.0 TDI engine.

Sample:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1155750

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

What about the VW Jetta. You'll get it a bit cheaper than a Passat with a similar engine and will have a bigger boot but less rear leg room which is probably more important with a young family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

gears wrote: »
    What about the VW Jetta. You'll get it a bit cheaper than a Passat with a similar engine and will have a bigger boot but less rear leg room which is probably more important with a young family.
    Passat has bigger boot than the Jetta. It even has a bigger boot than the Octavia, shock horror! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

We have 2 kids (One still uses pushchair) and have a 2.0TDI passat.For space (Passenger and boot) it is hard to beat. I had an a4 before this.The boot was big but rear space was terrible.There's a nice bit of power behind the 2.0TDI engine in comparison to the 1.9TDI version also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Forget about a saloon, go for a hatchback.

forget about a hatchback and go for an estate. Much more space and a lot more practical than either.

Should get a nice 1.9CDTi Vectra estate...not too many around here but plenty in the UK and plenty poke if you get the 150bhp version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Passat 130 is my choice get the comfo line or hi line. You would nearly get new model for what your spending which is 140 bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thanks Guys

The reviews from those who have young kids are good. Its good to hear how other people manage.

Brother in Law and Mother in Law both have Skoda Octavia's and while I think they re comfortable they are not a great drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

skoda superb as apposed to a passat or octavia. go for the 130bhp 1.9 or the 170bhp 2.0 stay away from the 105bhp if you want poke!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Forget about a saloon, go for a hatchback. It makes more sense when you are trying to work around a buggy in the boot. That would rule the Passat out. I have a Mondeo diesel, getting 50mpg, 2 kids and whatever they need. You will need a buggy that flods down like a stroller so you could fit some suit cases in.

I'll second that, a hatch or estate will make life a lot easier when loading and unloading, which will be a lot more frequently than you're used to, most trips will involve opening the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

sean1141 wrote: »
    skoda superb as apposed to a passat or octavia. go for the 130bhp 1.9 or the 170bhp 2.0 stay away from the 105bhp if you want poke!!
    The 2 litre 170bhp was only in the new Superb, and the old Superb is a bit crap really. Big, but crap.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I'll second that, a hatch or estate will make life a lot easier when loading and unloading, which will be a lot more frequently than you're used to, most trips will involve opening the boot.

How much easier? Really? I have two young kids, an A4 saloon and an A4 estate. The only thing where the estate is handier is for shifting bigger stuff that just won't fit in the boot of the saloon. But the boot in the saloon A4 is bigger than the estate strangely enough, and holds the younger child's buggy length-ways leaving tons of room for other stuff. In the estate, I have to put it diagonally.

Ample space in the back for both. I think people forget they are kids - how much room do they need?

OP - a saloon is grand with kids, unless your kids like bringing 40" TVs around with them all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

can't believe no one has offered the most obvious choice - 520d. biggest boot, best power (177bhp), 6 speed gearbox, great resale value, new model out so E60 is cheaper, what more do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

...what more do you want?

More than 10k I'd say.

OP: Recommend A4, Passat, Mondeo, Avensis, Octavia, Superb.

If your looking at 130bhp passats it'll be a B5.5 instead of a B6. As far as I know the B6 is only available in 105bhp(1.9l) and 140bhp(2.0l) and later 170bhp(2.0l).

B5.5 will be more reliable than a B6, I had a B5 myself for 3 years and it never let me down and was comfortable, did about 450 miles a week in it.

Size wise Passat, Superb and Modeo will be winners, followed by Avensis, then A4 and Octavia.

BTW:
    B5 97 - 2001 ish
    B5.5 2001 - 2005
    B6 > 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

I will not be popular here for this but do not forget the old shape avensis diesel saloon. You will not find too many hatchbacks but the saloon has a big boot. We have 2 kids. We were able to get two buggys in the back. A 3 wheel big one and a mc claren. Also fitted a phil and teds with the mc claren easily. (ask your wife about the phil and teds if you dare. Cost the bloody earth).

Not the most powerful diesel but it depends what you are used to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 decotipp

Hi,
    I think you should look into a vw bora. you can get them up to the year 2005. i would go for a 150bhp version as they have all the power you want and usually most of the 150bhp versions come with all the added extras like cruise control, air con, upgraded sports seats 6 speed gear box etc. space in the back can be a squeeze from time to time but sayin that its well worth looking into. ul get serious power and torque from the 150bhp engine and it will give you an average of 45+ mpg.

Another option would be a skoda octavia vrs 2.0 tdi 170bhp. im not as well versed on these cars as i never owned one but hope to some time. The car looks very sporty and ticks all your required boxes. If you look in the uk you should find a nice clean example within your budget.

PauloMN wrote: »
    How much easier? Really? I have two young kids, an A4 saloon and an A4 estate. The only thing where the estate is handier is for shifting bigger stuff that just won't fit in the boot of the saloon. But the boot in the saloon A4 is bigger than the estate strangely enough, and holds the younger child's buggy length-ways leaving tons of room for other stuff. In the estate, I have to put it diagonally.

Ample space in the back for both. I think people forget they are kids - how much room do they need?

OP - a saloon is grand with kids, unless your kids like bringing 40" TVs around with them all the time.

It's not necessarilly large individual items, more about being able to get what you need out with having to take the buggy or whatever else out first. With a hatch or estate, you can just lift whatever you need up out.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    It's not necessarilly large individual items, more about being able to get what you need out with having to take the buggy or whatever else out first. With a hatch or estate, you can just lift whatever you need up out.

Fair point. Thing is people almost always expect the estate to be bigger, not always the case though as I found out. In my case, the saloon is more practical with all the kids' stuff. The estate is grand for larger items but is a bit awkward with the buggy compared with the saloon. I just think the automatic "ah get a hatch or estate" isn't always the best advice.

Saloons are definitely quieter and less rattly also. :)

PauloMN wrote: »
    Fair point. Thing is people almost always expect the estate to be bigger, not always the case though as I found out. In my case, the saloon is more practical with all the kids' stuff. The estate is grand for larger items but is a bit awkward with the buggy compared with the saloon. I just think the automatic "ah get a hatch or estate" isn't always the best advice.

Saloons are definitely quieter and less rattly also. :)

For d segment cars (mondeo, vectra, avensis), there is rarely any difference between the length / width of the boot between the saloon, hatch or estate, it's just a case of access. The A4 is an exception to that. Saloons are that little bit quieter but you'll rarely notice with a few kids on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

All the people recommending an A4 over a Passat :confused: Badge snobbery aside, the OP needs space and rear leg room in them is a lot less than the Passat - I know as I was choosing between the two myself 2 years ago. The boot in the Passat is huge too.

OP: Get yourself a nice 05+ 2.0 TDI Passat with DSG (if you can stretch to it) - perfect for those long drives and plenty of room for the kids and accessories.
    You'd get a nice 06 one (like mine :)) for around the 10-12k mark now. As long as it has a full history and the timing belt has been done @ 120k you'll get a great car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Buy a Skoda, good cars and good value for money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

For 10k and wanting a big car, as Lex Luthor said the Vectra Estate cant be overlooked. Can be had for peanuts in UK and there are loads of nice high spec 150 brake diesels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Passat has bigger boot than the Jetta. It even has a bigger boot than the Octavia, shock horror! :eek:

Are you sure about that?
    It might have on paper but in reality and considering actual useable space I really doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

From previous experience, if you're looking at a saloon, bring the baby buggy to see how easy it is to get thru the boot opening.

Advertisement