Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsie spin Sat 20th Mar

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Hilly spin in wicklow
    205km longest spin this year, thanks lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Nice spin, I can certainly feel it in the legs, good training I think. Weather was very nice with no rain at all but the wind on the way back was something else. I also found out that a Selle Italia SLR XP is most definitely not the saddle for me, the pain from that region is something horrible. I was coughing up blood at one point. Back to Brooks.

Hilly spin in wicklow
    blorg wrote: »
    Nice spin, I can certainly feel it in the legs, good training I think. Weather was very nice with no rain at all but the wind on the way back was something else. I also found out that a Selle Italia SLR XP is most definitely not the saddle for me, the pain from that region is something horrible. I was coughing up blood at one point. Back to Brooks.

you seemed very uncomfortable, but blood, wow...that is bad...

Holy God, I just checked the Orwell calendar and my name is down to lead the step-up group tomorrow. 101km. I'll be leading from the back!

Hilly spin in wicklow
    Holy God, I just checked the Orwell calendar and my name is down to lead the step-up group tomorrow. 101km. I'll be leading from the back!

ouch, straight down the N81 and back again? :)

ouch, straight down the N81 and back again? :)
    "Dundrum-Tallaght-Rathcoole-Eadestown-Punchestown-Brannockstown-Dunlavin-Donard-N81-Home"

So... pretty much, yes!

My name was NOT on that list last time I checked, and I did check, it has appeared there more recently...

Hilly spin in wicklow
    "Dundrum-Tallaght-Rathcoole-Eadestown-Punchestown-Brannockstown-Dunlavin-Donard-N81-Home"

So... pretty much, yes!

My name was NOT on that list last time I checked, and I did check, it has appeared there more recently...

I'm not sure i've ever been on a spin which matched the roster in destination...if you can change it, laps of the pheonix park ? ;)

6th of march you were there, its the oldest copy of that roster i have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Didn't see this yesterday - I might have gone along if I had but by the time I decided I would go I reckoned everyone was well gone..... Looks like you guys had a good one. Fair play especially to those that went up to the 200 mark.

Did a spin on Wednesday (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055857578) which left me with sore back, then did a second fitness VO2 (running) test on Friday which basically left me drained, so was happy to go out for Friday evening with Tapas and red wine safe in the knowledge, that I didn't need to mind myself...

The missus points out that it was 'such a nice day..' so after I left my other shifter into the LBS for repair, I headed out to Enniskerry. The plan is to try and establish if the revised bike-fit was the problem with the back. After a quick loop up to Glencree and back home I still felt OK, so I'm none the wiser. The only thing is that I'd no big climbs and it was only 85k not 200, so the results are inconclusive.
    Met 'Damo' in Dundrum so had good company on the route. All in all a nice spin and no problems. Met loads of cyclists heading toward Town when we were heading out.
    Stats (rough as had problems with bike computer reset):
    Dist: 85k (Max: 58km/h Ave: 27km/h - from Glencree back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Hilly spin in wicklow
    Cadex wrote: »
    Didn't see this yesterday - I might have gone along if I had but by the time I decided I would go I reckoned everyone was well gone..... Looks like you guys had a good one. Fair play especially to those that went up to the 200 mark.

Did a spin on Wednesday (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055857578) which left me with sore back, then did a second fitness VO2 (running) test on Friday which basically left me drained, so was happy to go out for Friday evening with Tapas and red wine safe in the knowledge, that I didn't need to mind myself...

The missus points out that it was 'such a nice day..' so after I left my other shifter into the LBS for repair, I headed out to Enniskerry. The plan is to try and establish if the revised bike-fit was the problem with the back. After a quick loop up to Glencree and back home I still felt OK, so I'm none the wiser. The only thing is that I'd no big climbs and it was only 85k not 200, so the results are inconclusive.
    Met 'Damo' in Dundrum so had good company on the route. All in all a nice spin and no problems. Met loads of cyclists heading toward Town when we were heading out.
    Stats (rough as had problems with bike computer reset):
    Dist: 85k (Max: 58km/h Ave: 27km/h - from Glencree back).

Alright Cadex. Good spin alright. I'm half sorry I went into Cycleogical afterwards though as I'm more confused than ever over what new frame or bike to get. Saw some tasty, tasty frames including a Litespeed or Merlin titanium for a grand. Last week I was veering toward a custom Viner now I'm paralysed by indecision once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Met up with Nietzschean at 8.30 as planned, and waited a while for Blorg. Would have headed off if either of us had bothered to look properly at the route but we hadn't, so we hung on for another while, as various Orwellers turned up for an alternatve spin. We got away at 9ish in the end, and headed to Bunclody via Roundwood, Rathdrum, Aughrim, Ballinaclash and a few more. Blorg must have had his Weetabix, as he dragged the two of us for the best part of the 100kms at speeds mostly in the mid to high 30s. The average on the way down ended up at 30.5kmh, so not exactly your "average" Audax pace ! Found a nice cafe in Bunclody and refuelled for a while, then off again for the return trip through Tullow, Baltinglass, Blessington and N81 to home. As Blorg mentioned there was a pretty savage headwind all the way home, and again he did trojan work pushing the pace and dragging us along at about 28-29kmh. Every now and then Nietzschean or I got on the front for a couple of minutes, and the pace dropped to about 25 or 22 respectively ! Nietzschean was caught out by a steep edge of tarmac, and his front wheel slipped off and he took a fairly hard tumble, but thankfully wasn't badly hurt, and the main damage to the bike was a puncture and cut tyre. The tyre punctured again from the gash in the sidewall, but luckily Blorg had a Tyre Boot patch for inside the tyre which did the trick for the rest of the trip. I got pains in my feet again which I thought I had resolved a while ago, so just ordered some Footdisc Insoles from Wiggle to see if they might help.
    200.5kms for me, average 28.2kmh in the end, 7hrs 6mins riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I'd have more sympathy but I noticed I'm taking out the beginners the day after the Hollywood 300....

Sunday. My legs picked up once we got going. Good to see rottenhat on the lovely new bike and some going on the hills. I guess even if the bike is a bit heavier than a nasty modern carbon job the bike+rider combo comes in below most. One very bad instance of a driver overtaking the group literally right into an oncoming car, missed it and us by inches.

Not sure what happened after that hill out of Dunlavin, I headed on down to the N81 and hung around for a while but no sign of anyone? Tried calling Rottenhat. So headed over the Wicklow Gap and home. 137km at an average of 27.2km/h. I am tired now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Not sure what happened after that hill out of Dunlavin, I headed on down to the N81 and hung around for a while but no sign of anyone? Tried calling Rottenhat. So headed over the Wicklow Gap and home. 137km at an average of 27.2km/h. I am tired now.

One of the lads had a blow out on the decent. Ripped a hole in the side wall of the tyre so it took some time to get whatever was used in between the tyre and tube to sit properly to safely continue. Rear wheel luckily otherwise it could've been interesting.

One of the lads had a blow out on the decent. Ripped a hole in the side wall of the tyre so it took some time to get whatever was used in between the tyre and tube to sit properly to safely continue. Rear wheel luckily otherwise it could've been interesting.
    Ah OK. I tried calling Rottenhat and yourself but didn't get anywhere. Glad he got down safe, blowouts on a descent are a hairy business. Hammerfest home on the N81 with the wind on your backs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Ah OK. I tried calling Rottenhat and yourself but didn't get anywhere. Glad he got down safe, blowouts on a descent are a hairy business. Hammerfest home on the N81 with the wind on your backs?

Yeah, sorry, I don't usually bring the phone with me on club rides. You must not have waited that long when you got to the N81 because four of us didn't realise there had been a blowout behind and kept on rolling until we got to the main road. I was very surprised not to see you there but I figured maybe you'd misunderstood and headed on through to Donard.

Pace was brisk on the way home, didn't hit light speed until Tallaght (another puncture at the bottom of the Embankment broke the rhythm a bit).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Pace was OK along the N81. Tailwind was nice for a change. Turned off in Blessington and headed through Kilbride. Had my own little hammerfest just trying to catch the group after Kilbride. Only another puncture saw me catching the group before Tallaght. Legs lacking serious mileage.

rottenhat wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry, I don't usually bring the phone with me on club rides. You must not have waited that long when you got to the N81 because four of us didn't realise there had been a blowout behind and kept on rolling until we got to the main road. I was very surprised not to see you there but I figured maybe you'd misunderstood and headed on through to Donard.
    I only waited for a few seconds at the sign for Donard but then when no-one was coming I got worried that you might have come out further up the road so proceeded up to the Hollywood/Wicklow Gap turn-off where I waited for 10 minutes (the route posted on Mapmyride had ye coming out up the road, and I had that programmed into my Garmin.) I presumed at that point you must have popped out there and gone on. Still, lovely day for it and I had a nice ride, very nice descents of the Gap, and Old Long Hill, wind at my back then all the way back.

Advertisement