Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth Certs /Adoption Certs

• 19-03-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all,

I've just today started the process of trying to help my mother trace her first child given up for adoption in 1979.

She has tried on 3 occassions tried to trace her daughter however was very discouraged by the adoption agency each time with requests for donations or lack of any help. The agency has since closed down and all files are now with the health board and she'd like to try again.

I've printed off the guide for parents on the sticky above but am hoping 2 questions I have can be clarified.
    To get a copy of the Birth Cert and to get a copy of the adoption register, is this only possible in the GRO in Dublin? I live in Cork and the adoption agency was in Cork. Can I go to the registers office in Cork for this information? The baby was actually born in Dublin.

Appreciate any help on this as my mum is quite nervous about dealing with agencies due to past experiences.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, i think the adoption register is held down in roscommon. i don,t think it,s in dublin anymore. if your mother knows the date she signed the final adoption you should have no problem finding it, if not write to the adoption board, they hold all records. if your mother feels she was treated unfairly by her adoption agency get her to write a letter of complaint to the adoption board, they might be able to help....kathy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi Squalshy-

The General Register's Office reading room is in the Irish Life Mall on Talbot Street in Dublin. The GRO itself has moved to Roscommon- however these are not public offices, and there are no facilities for members of the public to conduct research there.

The GRO also has an office in Cork- I know there are computerised files there, I am not aware that it has reading room facilities however.

If you have any questions at all- feel free to ask and we'll do our best,

Kind regards,

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi shane, i thought the register of adopted children was being held in roscommon or is it still avaible in dublin....kathy

kathy finn wrote: »
    hi shane, i thought the register of adopted children was being held in roscommon or is it still avaible in dublin....kathy

Hi Kathy-

It was temporarily unavailable in Dublin- while they were taking an electronic copy of it in Roscommon- its now available on request at the counter in the reading room again (they're not kept with the year books- you have to request them seperately). Occasionally some of the books may not be available- they may be in either Roscommon or Cork, and some were lent temporarily to the LDS for their project (which is a very helpful resource that can also be called on).

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 48 squalshy

Thanks a million for your help - i really appreciate it!

I'll try Cork first and see how it goes - fingers crossed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Johanna Barry

Shane

You mentioned some Adoption books were loaned to LDS. I know it was
    the LDS that prepared all B/M/D records for Ireland which they have not
    yet put online.

Johanna

Shane

You mentioned some Adoption books were loaned to LDS. I know it was
    the LDS that prepared all B/M/D records for Ireland which they have not
    yet put online.

Johanna

Correct- its very convenient popping out to Glasnevin, I find it a lot better than the reading room in the Irish Life Mall. It will be great when they put it online- though the agreement to limit the search parameters is annoying......

Sorry maybe an ignorant question but what is LDS??

squalshy wrote: »
    Sorry maybe an ignorant question but what is LDS??

Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (i.e. the Mormons), have a world wide genealogy project- where they are attempting to record all births, marriages and deaths. They were also given some of the adoption registers (I'm not sure why- as I'm not aware that adoption records figure in their genealogy project). Their Irish records can be viewed in Glasnevin- and from my own experiences, are far easier to access than the GRO records.

Shane

thanks a million - i wonder if I can get a copy of them in Cork - i'll phone and ask!! Don't get if you don't ask but thats really good to know.

I've tried to get in touch with the health board to try arrange a meeting with them but unfortunatley due to industrial action they aren't answering phones!

• Advertisement

Shane

What limits are they putting on the records. Here in the UK the LDS have the actual
    birth entries also. What adoption records were copied as I was not aware they had
    them until you mentioned the fact.

Johanna

Hi Johanna- I was told by one of the GRO staff that when the records are put online that the search parameters would be restricted (so you couldn't have an adopted person doing surname/date batches- and finding potential matches in 30 seconds flat.

With respect of the Adopted Children's Register- I was told it had lent to the LDS (which was the reason given for its unavailability for 7 week period back in 2006). I am not aware of what the purpose of this is- as obviously it would differ from the records they are compiling for other countries- unless of course it was some sort of a stipulation that they copy all of the records- sort of like the Kilmainham backup for the computer system?

Shane

Shane

It was the Mormons that input the Irish B/M/D that they hold to prepare to go on line
    and they are at a loss as to why this has not happened with the GRO. THe Adoption records I found out were again input for the GRO only.

Thank you

Johanna

Shane

It was the Mormons that input the Irish B/M/D that they hold to prepare to go on line
    and they are at a loss as to why this has not happened with the GRO. THe Adoption records I found out were again input for the GRO only.

Thank you

Johanna

Hi Johanna-

The GRO are continuing to say that the go-live is dependent on agreement concerning the search parameters- which has to date not been agreed.

With respect of the GRO's own digitisation of its records- I understood this to be a seperate free-standing venture? The GRO's own digitisation project is up and running in the 3 satellite offices, and is also linked into the certificates website.

Shane

Advertisement