Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba....anyone live to tell the tale??

Options
  • 19-03-2010 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hiya,

Heading to Cuba in June, staying in Havanna for 3 nights and then on to Varadero for 7 nights...Anybody being?? Anything that is a must...where to avoid?? basic tips...thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I was there last year. Loved it.

Tips... bring insect bite cream if your going to Varadero. I got bitten alive (although my bf didn't get touched). Infact bring any medication you may need (aspirin, immodium, etc). Leave anything you don't use behind as some stuff is near impossible to get over there and the locals will use it.

Varadero is nice - the sea gets quite rough in the evening which was surprising.

Food wise - don't order anything with a sauce. Most food is beautifully fresh and doesn't need any sauce. The sauces are often foul! We had fabulous lobster, fish and vege. All fresh enough to be lovely without any sauce required.

Buy any alcohol you are going to bring home before you reach the airport. its cheaper.

Definately go to the cigar and the rum museum.

Definately do a salsa class - I'm sorry I didn't do one.

Definately go out to a bar at night for the live music. Its great. All the locals dance outside the bar.

Tip: Everyone requires tipping from the chambermaids, to the toilet attendents to the musicians in the pub. So always try to keep a lot of change on you.

The only part I didn't like was the constant barrage of people trying to sell things... we even tried speaking Irish - but some even spoke that!!

Have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭iffy_2007

Thanks that is great!! have being lookin up web-sites, they seem to be all fairly good and informative, alot of people seem to be giving out about the annoyance of people tryin to sell stuff, seemingly there a tee-shirts u can buy so they'l stay away from u!!! Seems to be alot of scams and stuff aswell from the web sites i have being reading, like people tellin you about restaurants and bringing you to them and then ordering everything off the menu and expecting you to pay for it, dont think id be stupid enough to do something like that but my other half, he's everyones best friend when he has a few drinks in him!!

Where you in Havanna at all??

Oh and what time of year were u there?? we are going in June...start of hurricane season!!!! was it very hot??

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

We we went in June. It was hot but bearable. We cheated a little and spent money on a nice hotel. We stayed at the park central which had a swimming pool with amazing views. To come back from looking around and being able to have a swim was wonderful!

There is a really good bar with live music there - the Monterserrat which was brilliant. Everyone tells you to go to the florida - but I found it over rated.

The think I liked most about Havanna was just wandering aimlessly. The buildings are 'shabby chic', the cars wonderfully coloured, and the roads crazy. huge crater potholes everywhere.

In cuba its illegal for someone to have a car and not offer anyone a lift if they have room. Consequently at traffic lights you will see lots of people hanging about looking for lifts.... and random people getting into random cars. Its very surreal.

Also in Havanna there is a really good art market - I bought a couple of canvases there for nothing. Its worth a look.

Food was good in HAvana (again - stay away from sauces... I guarantee people giving out about the food, were looking for complex dishes).

I've leant my cuba book to a friend going over this week, but definately try Hanoi (amazing dirt cheap lobster and refried black beans) and Taberna de la Muralla for bbq chicken, prawn and pork. Here you sit on the terrace listening to live music, eating bbq and drink the pubs own beer (its a micro brewery).

In general, if a place has a sign Habaguenex on the outside the quality will be fairly good as it is part of an international chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

I haven't been to Varadero, but I have been to Havana (and then travelled around other parts of Cuba).

I really enjoyed Havana. Like Dinkie said, the best part is just to wander around exploring, especially Habana Vieja. People trying to sell you things can be a bit annoying, but once you are firm from the beginning and don't entertain them at all they get the message.

Definitely go for a walk along the Malecon in the evening and take a tour of one of the cigar factories. Go to the Hotel Nacional for cocktails and to see the Cold War bunker in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Cuba's a big touristy place. Then there's the other Cuba where the people live.

• Advertisement

Oh great, we are staying in the Park Central aswell!!! Oh im soooo excited now, cant come quick enough!! thanks for all your help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Hey Iffy, what dates in June are u going?
    We are also going in early June and almost identical to your nights / hotel location, etc... LOL :)
    It's our honeymoon

ps. like Iffy I've been dong my research and am ready for the good and bad points to Cuba.
    Good lot of people told us not to bother going out in Havanaat night, it's too dark and dangerous!
    then every article you read tells u Havana comes alive at night?
    I'd imagine it's fine if u keep yourslef outta trouble and keep to the "touristee" spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

You don't need to worry about Havana at night, you will be perfectly fine. All you need to be aware of are people trying to sell you fake cigars and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

My sister was there and couldnt speak greater about it. She loved every bit. She also recommends people should bring lots of pens to hand out the local kids. They go mad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 The Real McCoy

Interesting posts on Cuba! Whats it meant to be like in July, weather hurricane season? How long does it take to get there?

• Advertisement

Hi kormack,

We were supposed to flying out on the 5th of June but discovered we had a family wedding on the 12th, so we changed it to the 15th flying out Dublin via Paris. I've being researching myself flat out, the impression I am getting is that Havanna will be fine, needless to say there probably is a few dodgy spots that would be best to avoid! We are going to try out a few shows and the likes, take a tour of the cigar factory. We were thinking of hiring out a car but have been told that it can be dodgy enough, with quite a few hidden costs. So the train will do for us as I would love to travel a good wee bit and try and see as much of the country as we can, might mean a few internal flights either but sure there will be no harm in pricing! Do you know what the story is with the currency, can we get it in the bank here or do we get it over there? I haven't got round to finding that out yet!

What dates are you heading?
    Thanks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

iffy_2007 wrote: »
    Hi kormack,

We were supposed to flying out on the 5th of June but discovered we had a family wedding on the 12th, so we changed it to the 15th flying out Dublin via Paris. I've being researching myself flat out, the impression I am getting is that Havanna will be fine, needless to say there probably is a few dodgy spots that would be best to avoid! We are going to try out a few shows and the likes, take a tour of the cigar factory. We were thinking of hiring out a car but have been told that it can be dodgy enough, with quite a few hidden costs. So the train will do for us as I would love to travel a good wee bit and try and see as much of the country as we can, might mean a few internal flights either but sure there will be no harm in pricing! Do you know what the story is with the currency, can we get it in the bank here or do we get it over there? I haven't got round to finding that out yet!

What dates are you heading?
    Thanks!:D

pm sent

Advertisement