Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beepers!

• 19-03-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Does anyone else find they get beeped a lot as a learner? People have beeped me before overtaking on narrow roads which is great, I know they're coming etc, but I find I get beeped nearly every time I go for a drive and I don't know why. I was pulling out of side road onto a main road and the person behind me kept beeping even though there was a car in front trying to get out. When they got out and I was there he continued to beep and proceeded to drive up the backside of my car all the way down the main road.
    Today I stopped before a junction to let the other cars go but no one on the other side did. When someone finally did and they started to move out the guy behind me proceeded to beep me until I started to move. This was in bumper to bumber traffic so we all simply rolled down the road 10k an hours for the next 15 minutes so it's not as if I was delaying him!

This is more of an rant than a question I suppose but Im really annoyed. If someone beeps a learner it tends to panic them (it panics me anyway!) soI dont know what they are trying to achieve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Ignorant Bassa's mate

If a car drives too close you you and continues to beep at you get whoever is with you to get their reg and stick them into the Gardai. They'll soon learn.

It's dangerous to do it to an experienced driver never mind someone who trying to learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Jamie-b wrote: »
    Does anyone else find they get beeped a lot as a learner? People have beeped me before overtaking on narrow roads which is great, I know they're coming etc, but I find I get beeped nearly every time I go for a drive and I don't know why.

Why dont you ask your accompanying driver? Maybe he/she can provide better advice as they would be there with you at the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'm usually slow at moving off from lights and stuff.
    Mainly cuz I've got a new car so its taking me a lil while getting used to its clutch.
    And cuz I don't like to rev a lot and make a lot of noise and waste fuel while moving off, hence I take my time and am gentle when moving off.

And so occasionally I get an impatient person behind me beeping at me when the lights go green and I take a little while to move it. Its like have some patience man, its not the end of the world if you have to wait more than 2secs before the car in front of you pulls off!

Which is why I never beep at anyone. Cuz I know how annoying it is when someone beeps at you for some stupid reason or impatience and I'm still a learner myself and I understand some drivers need to take their time at things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Always. Including a pre-emptive beep from a taxi driver before the lights changed. The L plates have powers...akin to knuckle-dragging regression. Ideally the beeper should be pulled from their car and pistol whipped, but I suppose we cant have everything our way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Why dont you ask your accompanying driver? Maybe he/she can provide better advice as they would be there with you at the time...

Ooooh!! A lot of people presume that Learners are driving alone when they get such a hard time! I think it doesn't matter how many people are in the car with you, an L plate makes some people go slightly bonkers! Driving without L plates doesn't make me a better driver, I don't drive any differently, yet I don't experience the honking or mad dashes to overtake as I did with the plates.
    Honking at anybody especially a Learner as they're slowing down to make turns or giving way to other drivers is unacceptable in my opinion.

• Advertisement

greenie wrote: »
    Ooooh!! A lot of people presume that Learners are driving alone when they get such a hard time! I think it doesn't matter how many people are in the car with you, an L plate makes some people go slightly bonkers! Driving without L plates doesn't make me a better driver, I don't drive any differently, yet I don't experience the honking or mad dashes to overtake as I did with the plates.
    Honking at anybody especially a Learner as they're slowing down to make turns or giving way to other drivers is unacceptable in my opinion.

TBH I didn't take that response as a dig. Near the beginning of the OP's post they stated,
    nearly every time I go for a drive and I don't know why.

I think that response meant that with someone with him then they might be able to shed light on why drivers were beeping as they were there.
    We, on the other hand can only surmise.

TBH I didn't take that response as a dig. Near the beginning of the OP's post they stated,

I think that response meant that with someone with him then they might be able to shed light on why drivers were beeping as they were there.
    We, on the other hand can only surmise.

Ah I must have read it differently Mascot..:D

Ah I must have read it differently Mascot..:D

you might still be right :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I was being genuine in my post. I did not assume anything other than the OP was obeying the law.

Being aggressive towards other drivers is a big no-no especially learners i agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

To clarify, I have never driven alone. My accompanying drivers mentioned this person is only beeping so you know they are overtaking. But with regard to the others they are like "just ignore them, theer's a lot of Aholes on the road". I always ask did I do something, what could be the reason for beeping but they think it is simply road rage. I am way more likely to make a mistake and stall the car if someone is beeping me so it makes no sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

stalled in slow moving traffic last week, so slow not even accelaerator being used, took a few attempts to get going again, car infront got about 3 or 4 cars lenght ahead, car behind starts beeping, and thinking to my self, theres traffic, your not going to get there any quicker, some people are in a rush regardless of the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MrRight

Only ever had it once. It happened after I stalled waiting at lights. It was a car a few cars behind. I suspect the driver beeped presuming I never noticed the lights had changed, however I have my doubts, and that the driver was being an intolerant tool :rolleyes:

Someone tailgating is always an issue with me though. It can be quite a shock to realise how many drivers cannot stick to the speed limit, or even have the decency to back off a learner. The amount of times I have a driver yards away from the back of my car on a National Speed road is unreal. Even when I'm close to 60mph, there's always one driver adamant to get past me.

I was being genuine in my post. I did not assume anything other than the OP was obeying the law.

Being aggressive towards other drivers is a big no-no especially learners i agree.

Apologies Bumblebee:o
    It just seems like sometimes when Learners have a genuine question about issues they're experiencing on the road they tend to get asked in a roundabout way if they're driving alone...as if thats the reason why.
    I'm sorry again for presuming:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

it happens alot. Ive only been out for 3 lessons so far and i has yet to happen to me. In my last lesson she brought me onto a main road and i made the car cut out... no one beeped at me, I was shocked I was expecting to be blasted out of it.

Although my instructor told me that sometimes its not necessarily the person behind you..they could be a car or two back and not know what the delay is.

But she also said that if they are directly behind you... especially if you are in a clearly marked driving school car then they are just being aholes... she said she even got out of a car to a guy once!
    Fair play to her!!

You cant bully learner off the road... everyone starts somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Really surprised at the aggression on the road here. I've had to "learn" to drive in this country after having passed my full NZ license test. Seems a lot of people here cannot stand it when there is a learner on the road and forgot that that was them in the past and make allowances for this, as happened to me in New Zealand.

Even though I wasn't actually learning to drive, just going through the motions of driving lessons here, I still got abuse, because I tend to like obeying the speed limits and not drive around like an incredibly aggressive plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Acid Tongue

I find people are very inconsiderate. Even when my mum, who has been driving for 20 years, is driving the car and the L plates still happen to be up. People will even overtake her when she's definitely not holding them back, and they'll usually have to break the speed limit to do it.

You would think people would be more considerate to learners but oh well, some people are just that horrible. In fact, someone beeped at me while I was trying to take off at traffic lights. I was in the School of Motoring car.

I know it can make you more nervous but the only advice I can give is just to try and ignore people like that. It's just arrogance and idiocy. Not to mention dangerous as it can definitely put you off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Most people are cretins. This is the rule I follow when foolishly expecting any sign of an indicator at roundabouts, junctions etc., or expecting someone to stop at a stop sign, red light, not drive up your backside etc.
    It's the number one rule of the road in Ireland I think.

The amount of beeping they do is usually a good indicator of exactly how cretinous they are.

Advertisement