Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a HTPC to an older TV

Options
  • 19-03-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Just a few quick questions,

Ill be building my HTPC over the weekend but ill be connecting it to a crt TV that has an s video cable but no vga, im just wondering what hardware or cables will i require for it ?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If your graphics card has an svideo port then and svideo cable should do you fine. Also audio cables for sound.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you want to listen to audio over it you'll need a mobo with TOSLink outputs and an amp with TOSLink inputs as the only mobo with RCA audio support is the MSI Diva :o Similarly video will be a real PITA if you're using a newer PC as S-video support was dropped from mainstream cards and mobos a couple of generations ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

you could be awkward and do what Solitaire said to do, or just get a simple AUX to 3.5mm cable and hook it up that way, its what i do. Thats if you TV has AUX input when using the s-video aswell.

But keep an eye out in Lidl or Aldi as they do a kit with a long s-video cable and the aux to 3.5mm cable and lots of other bit and bobs that help in hooking up your computer to an older tv.

Advertisement