Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear Powerline

Options
  • 19-03-2010 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone on here has one of these powerline things and can they tell me if its good for gaming.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

I haven't used that particular powerline device but I do use some cheaper ones that run at 90mb/s that I bought in maplin and they work just fine. It depends what your defenition of good for gaming is though as my ping to the router on a cat5 wired connection would be <1ms and on the powerline it fluctuates between 3ms and 7ms so that will be added to your gaming ping.

That's on a 50 year old house however so if you have a new house and those netgear powerline adaptors may be better than the ones I use so it might be even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭extremehalo

im currently looking into getting these myself, do they use much electricity? would there be any hassle with your neighbour been able to access your files?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

im currently looking into getting these myself, do they use much electricity? would there be any hassle with your neighbour been able to access your files?

I don't know much about how buildings are wired but I'm guessing your house is one closed circuit and your neighbour is seperate or you'd have to split the electricity bill every month...

No idea how much power they use, probably very little though as it's just sending signals over the line rather than using power.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does a higher bandwidth have any effect on ping times though? If the game only uses 1mb using a 200mb connection won't have any effect on speed as far as I know.

Wireless is a pain in the hole, if you want a stable connection go wired. Wireless only seems to work as intended if your not relying on it.

Advertisement