Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do?!

Options
  • 19-03-2010 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All,

I just moved to Ireland from the US this past Saturday for work. I work with mostly older people (married, kids, etc.) so there aren't too many options for meeting people to hang out with while I'm here.

I'm 23 and want to get out, meet people and experience the city without getting into too much touristy stuff (I'd much rather enjoy living here than be in "visiting" mode). All that being said, where do I go to meet people? I know there's a big match tomorrow with lots of people in town today so I should go out to a pub, but I can't help but feel a little weird about going to the pub alone as a female. Should I just go? What pub in Dublin 2/ near city center is a good place to meet people my age?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Woolshed on Parnell St. Always packed for a match and often full of expats like yourself. It's easy to find too, right beside the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Join a dating website, they always have nights
    out planned.

Or just go to a club on a Friday, people dig the US accent.

If all else fails, send me a pm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Try find a hobby, so you have a group of people to touch base with. Things should take off from there. Start drinking at whatever your local pub is, and you'll meet people there too :) All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Dulin City forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Zoot22

I'm not a huge fan of clubs myself. I'd much rather go to a pub and chat. I grew up in California and spent most of my life there and that has really made me not like clubs so much. I could put on the skimpy skirt and trot around, sure, but it's cold and I'd much rather use my brain in the long run. ;)

Also, I'm thinking about going out tonight, but I'm really just not sure where to start... Is Woolshed good on Fridays? I'd like to meet people my age too, not necessarily just other Expats :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

It's not just expats, it has a good mix of people. It's always been busy when I've been there at the weekend, and generally the crowd is early/mid twenties to early thirties I'd say.

The woolshed is always good no matter what day it is. Just hit the town with a couple of friends on a weekend & you'll meet someone in no time imo. AVoid people from Tallaght though :p

Xinkai wrote: »
    Just hit the town with a couple of friends on a weekend & you'll meet someone in no time imo.

Well yes, that would be ideal... However, you have to realize I moved here alone and don't yet have "friends" to hit the town with. I'm working on meeting said friends, but it's tough when I have to get out with friends to meet friends. Catch where I'm going with this...? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

eh join a sports team....rugby? football? gaa? basketball?

Zoot22 wrote: »
    Well yes, that would be ideal... However, you have to realize I moved here alone and don't yet have "friends" to hit the town with. I'm working on meeting said friends, but it's tough when I have to get out with friends to meet friends. Catch where I'm going with this...? :D

No need to be harsh about it =/ Not gonna make friends with a bite like that :D

• Advertisement

Apologies, no harsh tone intended. I sometimes for get that sarcasm does not travel well over the internet:).

Your suggestion is absolutely a fine answer and I'll get there in due time. Now I've just got to get myself out the door to start with! Thank you for the advice, it truly is appreciated.

Well you said you moved here for work, i don't know if you already have a job, or you moved here to get a job, but if your in a job already, just get to know a few of the girls in the office, were all pretty inviting here in Ireland to new employees anyways, you'll have friends in there on day 1 guaranteed. After a week or so, just say something like, 'so i haven't gotten the chance to see the fantastic Dublin nightlife we rabble on about in stories back in the States, who's up for a night out???' :p Most girls will jump on the opportunity for a good friday/saturday night out.

Also, didn't detect sarcasm, my bad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

what about joining a dance class? i've found it a great way to meet people!

there is a fun night on in the sugar club on leeson street tonight, it's burlesque and cabaret, pop along to that, people are very friendly!

how about going to www.meetup.com there is a whole bunch of groups in the dublin area, i've not used it myself but a friend went to a gathering of the "new and not so new" group and had a great time!!!

best of luck, hope you enjoy dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

You should check out the Ladies Lounge on here which organises regular night out. I think there is an event organised for fairly soon : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837714

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'll second MeetUp.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

panda100 wrote: »
    You should check out the Ladies Lounge on here which organises regular night out. I think there is an event organised for fairly soon : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837714
    Best advice so far, imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I enjoy comedies a lot and they are a great place to meet new people too.

Advertisement