Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i fail maths?

Options
  • 19-03-2010 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

can i fail maths and do arts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Leaving Certificate:
    Passes in 6 subjects (including 2 at minimum HC3) including those shown below:

Irish
    English
    A third language
    Three other recognised subjects

Yes, you can fail maths, but there are certain subjects within arts which require you to have a certain grade in maths so they would be closed to you if you failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Although it's not the question you asked, surely you can do enough work to pass maths at some level before the leaving cert?

I can't imagine a fail in maths would do a whole lot for your CV in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

OP not to patronise you but i am jus about the worst person you can find at maths, my brain switches off when people start throwing figures around and i passed ordinary level maths, i didnt fly it but i passed it. My advice is to just put the head down (plenty of time still) and chip away at it because, yeh its a pain in the ass now and boring as **** but you'll be glad of it in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

can i fail maths and do arts?

correct me if im wrong but if you fail math don't you also fail the entire leaving cert??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Nebit wrote: »
    correct me if im wrong but if you fail math don't you also fail the entire leaving cert??

No that's english. Ya fail that, then you're really fucked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

El Siglo wrote: »

Me fail English?! Thats unpossible!!

OP, not to be a complete asshole about it but can I ask. If you dont plan on passing maths at some level do you really think you will cut it in third level?

The points for arts are most certainly going to go up this year and without maths do you see yourself getting the points? Also even though UCD arts has a bit of a reputation for being a course designed for idiots the exams and assessment are certainly more difficult that the leaving certificate pass maths paper.

Perhaps reconsider your life goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

That being said, you could be a borderline honours student in maths and want to chance your arm. So maybe we are jumping the gun a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Nebit wrote: »

You cant fail the leaving cert really. You still get the cert but it will have all 'F's on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

You cant fail the leaving cert really. You still get the cert toilet paper but it will have all 'F's on it.

Fixed that for you!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Grimes wrote: »
    ? Also even though UCD arts has a bit of a reputation for being a course designed for idiots the exams and assessment are certainly more difficult that the leaving certificate pass maths paper

Grimes take a look at any 3rd year Economics module and try and say its designed for idiots. That sort of **** spouting makes me sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Grimes take a look at any 3rd year Economics module and try and say its designed for idiots. That sort of **** spouting makes me sick.

I said a "reputation for being a course" not "is" a course designed for idiots. Having done a Arts BA and Masters in UCD I guess I can comment on arts.

Perhaps you shouldactually read my post Mardy Bum and what I actually said rather than accusing me of"shit spouting?" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I did read it carefully but a thing only has a reputation if people talk about it derogatorily and the way you phrased it made it sound like that and you didn't really clarify that its not a complete walk in the park and if this dude is going to fail maths he would really want to re-think his options.
    I've guessed from your previous posts you did do arts but its just a thing that annoys me (which I'd say looks obvious from the above), no offense to you it was just that one phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I suppose you "can" fail Maths; but just because you can, it doesn't mean you should. UCD is already bursting at the seams with students who can't do Maths (or just hate it) and only do "soft" subjects in the "Humanities". In this harsh job climate, anything you can do to differentiate yourself from the majority of students can only help your career. For example, journalists can benefit from having Maths-related subjects in their degree transcripts: I wish more did, then we might not see such rubbish reporting of e.g. reports that contain statistics.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

El Siglo wrote: »

I failed English and got an offer from UCD and I was only doing six subjects. You're fine if you get an E in Higher Level English and either Cs in three Higher Level subjects and passes in two more subjects or a B in one Higher Level subject, a C in another Higher Level subject and passes in three more subjects.

See section 4.2 of the matriculation regulations: www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegsENG_2010_2011.pdf

I got it rechecked and went up 50 points which meant I got a second CAO offer (from TCD), but I decided to stick with the first one. :)

Advertisement