Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Eggs in Centra!

• 19-03-2010 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭

€17.50 each, there were 6 Guards in the shop, I should have reported it. They say they're giant sized but they looked like fairly ordinary eggs to me:

i2BpA.jpg
    mLHmP.jpg
    vYRWd.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They probably bought them from Tesco and changed the lables. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They probably bought a dozen of them from Tesco for 25 cent. :p

fyp:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

That is quite a rip off. Our eggs over in the Uk are £9.99. Fair enough i could understand a price of maybe E12-13 to cover exchange rate and Vat differences but E17.49 is just plain RIDICULOUS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I got 400g of Roses in tesco on special offer 2 days ago for €2. That is the same amount of chocolate as in those eggs.

Centra can go stick those eggs up their holes and if they break I'm not paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Are Tescos not selling Easter eggs for something like 3 for 4.50 or something?
    They may not be exactly the same as these ones, but an Easter Egg for 17.50 I'd be eggspecting (get it?) Cheryl Cole to be inside mine very scantily clad!!!!

Quick! Down to Centra for a picket! Last one there is a rotten ..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

BREAKING NEWS - Small retail outlet charges exhorbatant prices for goods. Larger multinational charges less.

Don't buy them then...........
    Its Centra afterall, these smaller shops/chains are well known for over the top pricing. I doubt they would sell items at that price if they couldnt sell them.
    Evidently some people buy at that price for whatever reason. (Convenience, Last minute, despair)

kippy wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS - Small retail outlet charges exhorbatant prices for goods. Larger multinational charges less.

Its a well known fact but that is what this forum is for. Pointing out some of the worst ripoffs going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its a well known fact but that is what this forum is for. Pointing out some of the worst ripoffs going.

You could pretty much go right down through almost ALL of the stock in a Centra/Mace or similiar shop and find chepear (sometimes far cheaper like in this case) in a Tesco/Dunnes/ALDI/LIDL however you'd need time on their hands. I dont know how easter eggs would differ from eggs/milk/bread/etc in this regard.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thargor wrote: »
    €17.50 each, there were 6 Guards in the shop, I should have reported it.

I'm glad you didn't because they'd have looked at you for acting a fool and asked you to stop bothering them, incorrect pricing is nothing to do with the Gardai
    :rolleyes:

tbh it may be that Centra may have incorrectly priced the items, I'm basing this on your last photo which appears to show a similar sized easter egg priced at 7.48 (the kitkat egg)

Did you bothered to even ask a member of staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No, I ran straight out of the shop and tore home to complain about it on the internet like you're supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm glad you didn't because they'd have looked at you for acting a fool and asked you to stop bothering them, incorrect pricing is nothing to do with the Gardai

tbh it may be that Centra may have incorrectly priced the items, I'm basing this on your last photo which appears to show a similar sized easter egg priced at 7.48 (the kitkat egg)

Posts like yours really annoy me!
    Oh to be so smug.

The OP's post about the Guards was obviously tongue in cheek.

What would asking a member of staff do??
    You obviously don't shop much in spar, centra etc.
    Most of them wouldn't even acknowledge a response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

technocrat wrote: »
    Posts like yours really annoy me!
    Oh to be so smug.

The OP's post about the Guards was obviously tongue in cheek.

What would asking a member of staff do??
    You obviously don't shop much in spar, centra etc.
    Most of them wouldn't even acknowledge a response!

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭LauraOrlagh

I hate all this 'Tesco are cheaper' etc. And I really think those eggs were priced wrong as in our local Centra here there are those normal medium sized eggs on special offer the last two weeks 2 for €4.. so an easter egg for €2!!! So that would encourage me to buy Irish and support my local Centra anyway, I think Supervalu have a similar deal too

Cabaal wrote: »

I reckon the Gardai would have laughed and enjoyed the joke like normal human beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Its probably the correct full price for the product.

In UK supermarkets the general price is £10 - £11 for the same product, so allowing for fairly high transport charges to Ireland (it is a large box of air) extra vat & the usual convienence store premium €17.49 is probably about right.

Funny thing is you can get beautiful artisan hand made Irish eggs of about 400g for under €15 in a premium food outlets - much much nicer & supporting local produce.

As I was once involved in manufacturing, Im not surprised at a price discrepancy between a giant egg that will be sold in very small quantities and the price of small & medium eggs sold in phenonemal quanties.

In this case the smaller eggs are far far cheaper to produce tahn the giant eggs. - Same can apply on a range of products including some larger volume packs in the grocery sector.

Volume = better pricing & better economies of scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

the extra large cadbury creme egg is €6.99 in Tesco's, was just in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I reckon the Gardai would have laughed and enjoyed the joke like normal human beings.

No way the Guard would scold the guy for not understanding the 'invitation to treat' and being silly for pointing it out then reccomend they go to lidl..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I hate all this 'Tesco are cheaper' etc.
    Yes, it goes against everything the anti-tesco forum eh I mean, I hate brits forum, eh, no I mean the rip off Ireland forum stands for. We must strive to find the highest priced items in FOREIGN owned supermarkets, products so expensive even a monkey would laugh at the thought of buying them, and then warn people not to buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, it goes against everything the anti-tesco forum eh I mean, I hate brits forum, eh, no I mean the rip off Ireland forum stands for. We must strive to find the highest priced items in FOREIGN owned supermarkets, products so expensive even a monkey would laugh at the thought of buying them, and then warn people not to buy them.

Classic.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Yeah, Tesco are naughty. Like this... I was wandering into my local Tesco the other day and thought it might be nice to pick up an Easter egg. Maybe two so we could each have one even though I'm not eating much chocolate these days due to fear of getting chubbier sure and it's only once a year.

So for the normal size eggs in the Nestle and Mars range (some Cadbury too I think), I could get one for €3.99. That's not bad. Or I could get three for €4.50. Obviously I bought nine of them. It'll be a chubbier Easter than planned then with nine eggs for €13.50 in total. I mostly picked up the Nestle ones as they don't have plastic inserts, which Cadbury seem to insist on retaining. Which I like as despite Nestle's reputation in Africa, they've stopped putting unnecessary plastic inserts in their Easter egg boxes.

Naughty Tesco making me eat more chocolate. I suspect I'll end up having to eat seven of the eggs myself. And the accompanying Aeros, Rolo tubes and so on. Bastards with their annoyingly cheap Easter eggs. I guess I could have gone to Centra and picked up three-quarters of one egg in the OP for the same price. Maybe I should get some more cheap eggs from Tesco. It'll be a long summer and my decorated Easter tree isn't as much fun when May arrives.

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote: »
    Naughty Tesco making me eat more chocolate. I suspect I'll end up having to eat seven of the eggs myself. And the accompanying Aeros, Rolo tubes and so on. Bastards with their annoyingly cheap Easter eggs. .

and then after easter we can start a new anti tesco thread blaming them for forcing us all to join over priced gyms due to their eater egg offer FORCING us to buy pallets of the things and making us eat them from february until may :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

91011 wrote: »
    so allowing for fairly high transport charges to Ireland

Bourneville to Dublin 280km
    Bourneville to Thurso, Scotland 901 km

Will the Cadbury's eggs cost more in Thurso than Bournville down the road from the Cadbury factory? Nope, I don't think so. You will have to find another reason for the amazing price differences.

69 wrote: »
    Bourneville to Dublin 280km
    Bourneville to Thurso, Scotland 901 km

Will the Cadbury's eggs cost more in Thurso than Bournville down the road from the Cadbury factory? Nope, I don't think so. You will have to find another reason for the amazing price differences.

4 Pallet load from Birmingham to Glasgow £125 (palletline)
    4 Pallet Load from Birmingham to Belfast £145 (palletline)
    4 pallet load from Birmingham to Dublin £220 (palletline)

btw - i have zero interest in confectionery business, but I do use transport services quite a lot both to the UK and from the UK, I also like to show that sometimes there are real reasons for price discrepancies between different countries and styles of stores.

I for one would never expect a local centra to price match with Asda and would expect up to 25% premium to be paid for certain items in a local store whether in Ireland or any other country.

Advertisement