Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You hate Religion. I get it.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Overheal wrote: »
    Theres a difference to offense and to attack. I think you'd agree that calling the woman retarded - though potentially offensive to her supporters, is not in the same league as saying that All supporters of Palin are Retarded.

No more could I discriminate against Jews for the actions of Israel.

I think it's a pretty awful word to use regardless of whom you aim it at.

That's the point, isn't it. Calling supporters of the RC church supporters of child abusers is going to offend some - others would find it perfectly justified. What is offensive when discussing supporting an organisation that upholds protecting child abusers is going to be rather subjective...by definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Personally I am sick of the whole thing. I dont even allow notification in threads I answer. Granted I am carrying it on. I am catholic and I attend mass. I am not stupid. I understand whats been going on and I understand its wrong but some of the comments are a disgrace.

and not justified.

What will the outcome be...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055860687

Speaking of the justifiably foolish...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Maybe I'm missing something, but the boards guidelines already tell people:

Don't be a dick

It seems to me that most, if not all, of the stuff that gives rise to this thread falls under that category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Theres a difference to offense and to attack. I think you'd agree that calling the woman retarded - though potentially offensive to her supporters, is not in the same league as saying that All supporters of Palin are Retarded.

No more could I discriminate against Jews for the actions of Israel.

I think if you knew how offensive the use of the term "retard" or "retarded", as a term of derision, is to the families and carers of those with special needs, then you'd reconsider.

The term literally brings some families to tears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

"Retarded" has become something of slang. Its one of those words like bitch and ****** that is debatable.

However, given that Palin has a child with learning disabilities, I think its a bit not nice to be calling the child's mother retarded. Its just about crossing a line.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bonkey wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but the boards guidelines already tell people:

Don't be a dick

It seems to me that most, if not all, of the stuff that gives rise to this thread falls under that category.

^^ this

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Maximilian wrote: »

To a real atheist, it's nothing short of astonishing that anybody can believe in religion at all.
    Of course the converse is true to the real Christian.
    To those who now come to question and thereafter reject the beliefs drilled into them since childhood, anger is a perfectly natural response.
    Anger at what?
    Anger at abuse cover up's is entirely justified.
    Anger at parent's trying to pass on their beliefs[regardless of what they are] isn't.
    The latter has been how the world has worked since if you pardon the pun God was a boy.

On topic-What in Gods name [again please pardon the pun..] are the mods of games doing allowing discussion of the RC in their fora?
    [If they are I haven't looked :)]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    There was a recent thread in A&A which sums up my feelings on this. A number of posters had ganged up on a certain poster, some of the posts crossed the line to personally abusive in my humble opinion. Here's the thread;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055852556
    It should be noted the thread was titled "What made you stop believing in God?", which of course does not apply to [The Poster], who waded in regardless - knowing exactly what he was in for. He's no newborn lamb to the slaughter. In A&A we respect his persistence rather than his religion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    That's no excuse to be personally abusive towards people. As I said, attack the religion, but don't treat their followers with contempt if they don't deserve it.

The more you react though, the more they will push.

turn the other cheek if you will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dades wrote: »
    It should be noted the thread was titled "What made you stop believing in God?", which of course does not apply to [The Poster], who waded in regardless - knowing exactly what he was in for. He's no newborn lamb to the slaughter. In A&A we respect his persistence rather than his religion. :)

I respect you and the work you do for that forum so I won't make a public spectacle of this issue, but if you felt that he was trying to get a rise out of people then perhaps he should have been told not to post in the thread again.

They werent really. The OP asked about the availability of religious games, and it spooled apart from there.
    tallaght01 wrote: »
    I think if you knew how offensive the use of the term "retard" or "retarded", as a term of derision, is to the families and carers of those with special needs, then you'd reconsider.

Then I was wrong to do it.

If you want to outlaw the use of Retard as a term of Derision I'm sure it can be done - same way iirc Gay is no longer tolerated as a derisive term on these here boards. ie. "Thats gay" or "Thats retarded" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

They werent really. The OP asked about the availability of religious games, and it spooled apart from there.

If you want to outlaw the use of Retard as a term of Derision I'm sure it can be done - same way iirc Gay is no longer tolerated as a derisive term on these here boards. ie. "Thats gay" or "Thats retarded" etc.

It's still in your sig though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That has already stared, http://www.r-word.org/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE_5_BbZlbI

It's still in your sig though :P
    To cater to the minority who feel I am guilty of back peddling and coverups, I chose to leave it up for the purposes of this discussion.
    Oversig wrote:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

MegaPERSON 10.
    Sexist.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Strikes me that we have all the guidelines we need to cover this scenario at the site-wide level. If an issue exists, it exists that some Moderators may have a higher tolerance (or a different "line" drawn) for abuse then you are comfortable with.

I dont think we need to be copying the Blasphemy approach here... that would be f*cking ret.... dumb.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The same rule applies to every denonimation of user on the site does it not?.. If someone posts about why being gay isn't good, natural, acceptable or whatever else; they'd be reprimanded for doing so in many cases, even if the level of vitriol in the posts was a lot less apparent

I have no time for religion and even less for those dedicated to attacking it with such credence. It's personal abuse if a member feels offended imo.. and not about thought-crime or blasphemy

But then what if you say all scientologists are idiots.
    Should that not be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If a Scientologist is taking part in a discussion then any form of personal abuse against them shouldn't be tolerated.. it implies favoritism towards different groups and whatever beliefs they hold; if abuse towards them is tolerated..

that might be alright on an individual level.. but I never see boards.ie flying the flag of intolerance in any of its press releases

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be in favour of it.

I wouldn't have an issue with someone saying that they found Scientology idiotic, though.

The difference (which I wouldn't even consider nuanced) is all-too-often lost, unfortunately.

See that's how I think on it. So many of these problems where people get offended by things on here seem to come to semantics rather than intent. Which is why if you were to try and put some hardfast rules in place on exactly how anti-religious posts it'd be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

All ideas should be open to ridicule, just like the idea that religion should be protected on boards.ie.

Forums have charters, threads have topics, personal abuse and flaming are banable offences, any problems that could arise are well covered.

Mods can deal with a poster who breaks the charter, goes off topic, insults another user directly and so on and so on.

There may not be free speech on boards.ie, but mollycoddling the superstitions of the religious isn't in its remit either.

BTW that religious games thread was never going to go anyway but the way it went, or absolutely nowhere at all, lol's were inevitable.

I'm confident that there will be no major policy changes on boards to protect religion, and I'm sure the current mods are more than capable of dealing with flaming, wild off-topicness and charter breaches on a case by case basis.

And so life goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Off Topic but... HURRRAH!! Finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The same rule applies to every denonimation of user on the site does it not?.. If someone posts about why being gay isn't good, natural, acceptable or whatever else; they'd be reprimanded for doing so in many cases, even if the level of vitriol in the posts was a lot less apparent

I have no time for religion and even less for those dedicated to attacking it with such credence. It's personal abuse if a member feels offended imo.. and not about thought-crime or blasphemy

I find that idea offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

bonkey wrote: »
    I wouldn't be in favour of it.

I wouldn't have an issue with someone saying that they found Scientology idiotic, though.

The difference (which I wouldn't even consider nuanced) is all-too-often lost, unfortunately.
    I don't see a difference, if someone does something idiotic then they're an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see a difference, if someone does something idiotic then they're an idiot.

Or drunk.

Or off their heads on something else.

Or brainwashed.

Or unable to think clearly as a result of lack of sleep, or illness, or bereavement, or stress.

Or they don't have the necessary facts / experience at their disposal to allow them to see the snakeoil salesman for what he is.

Or maybe they're in love! :D

Or ... or ... or ...

There are many reasons why people do idiotic things.

In fact, we all do idiotic things on a regular basis, and most of us even have the cop-on to admit it, at least to ourselves.

Doesn't mean we're idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Or drunk.

Or off their heads on something else.

Or brainwashed.

Or unable to think clearly as a result of lack of sleep, or illness, or bereavement, or stress.

Or they don't have the necessary facts / experience at their disposal to allow them to see the snakeoil salesman for what he is.

Or maybe they're in love! :D

Or ... or ... or ...

There are many reasons why people do idiotic things.

In fact, we all do idiotic things on a regular basis, and most of us even have the cop-on to admit it, at least to ourselves.

Doesn't mean we're idiots.
    At that particular moment of idiotic behavior I think it's valid to call someone an idiot. It's not like a title that you get to keep.

ScumLord wrote: »

If that's how you see things, then I'd agree that you don't see a difference.

Me...I find that perspective somewhat simplistic.

See what I did there? I didn't call you simplistic or a simpleton, nor did I necessarily imply it. I merely passed comment on your perspective. I haven't expressed any judgement about you as an individual at all.

In fact, I haven't made any judgement about you as an individual...which is why I'm limiting my comment to your offered perspective, rather than saying something about you.

Still think there's no difference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

But isnt that just a linguistic game? Doesnt it amount to the same thing?

Advertisement