Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Stream Recording

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

If only the hauppauge had internal software and internal harddrive :(

That BlackMagic intensity looks great too but also requires laptop

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I left my laptop up there when I was recordng videos, to empty the memory onto. I still don't see why it's such a problem.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I left my laptop up there when I was recordng videos, to empty the memory onto. I still don't see why it's such a problem.

A couple of reasons.

1, you've either got to make a decision that people can't play where they like on a system they may prefer OR you run around from point to point with a laptop and the device. If it was one, simple, easily moved device then...

2, sooner or later, something IS going to get stolen in XGC. Not because it's rough but-well- simply because people are dick heads in general.

I'd rather not have multiple expensive things lying round as it's basically asking for it.

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »

If you're happy to do then it wouldn't be a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

animaX wrote: »
    If you're happy to do then it wouldn't be a problem!

yeah man if you had no problem with it i would suggest the hdpvr.. its a shame its not easier to record from xbox etc

Good news and bad news on the direct recording front. As you might have heard i recently ordered a vga converter on ebay which has a vga passthrough (direct to monitor), s-video converter (direct to siskos camera) as well as composite converter (direct to projector for example). The plan was that this would give us lag-free play using vga while allowing direct recording and would solve the issues we had with our last direct recording test.

Well the converter arrived and i can confirm that it is lag-free!! The vga connection is a direct passthrough, i went in to training mode and played through the device and I noticed nothing. I then hooked a composite cable up to a tv at the same time and it was perfect...........for about 5 seconds!! For some reason, the image flickered for a second and then the colour was washed out (on both monitor and tv). Then there was no image at all on the tv. After a bit of messing around (which included smacking the device off the table!) it worked again but still the image was a bit off.

I'm starting to think that it's the build quality of the device that's letting me down, not the device itself. To be fair, i bought the cheapest one possible on ebay (direct from china, 15 euro with no delivery costs!). There are branded ones available on amazon which i'm sure would be of better quality and would do the job that this thing did for those first 5 seconds! Might have to order one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Ah shizz. Bring this with you to the next casuals anyway and I'll bring my camera just to have a look. Fair play for the effort though.

So i ordered the Grand Hand View III only 3 days ago and it has arrived already!! Really i can't say enough praise about CPC Farnell. I had never heard of them before but god they have everything on that website and such quick delivery.

Anyway, the thing works beautifully! Does exactly what i wanted (at not just for 10 seconds like the cheap chinese knock-off). Here's a video showing it in action:

That's just a replay i had running and sent it to a crt tv (looks dodgy on camera but is fine in person). I played around in training mode and I really didn't notice any lag or picture quality issues (not like the team tournament test).

This means that we can now try a setup where we play using VGA cable, we record direct using an s-video connection (either sisko's camera or an easy-cap for example) and we have the option of sending another composite signal to a projector at the same time!!!

I think the day of champions might be a good time to test it. And then we can finally run a pub session :cool:

• Advertisement

I'm seriously considering just bloody ordering a hauppage in the next couple of days and spending the run in to Inferno 14 testing it with Terry Tallon et al.

If you don't pick one up i'm gonna get in touch with sisko to borrow his camera for the next inferno. Still want to test that out with the splitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

If it helps anyone I'm happy to bring my mac to any tournies I'm at.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just FYI, for bringing laptops:

A laptop lock costs €2 in Jervis Centre (Euro store at north end).

Better than nothing.

Advertisement