Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

van loosing power..

• 19-03-2010 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm driving a Primastar 100dci, as soon as I hit any kind of hill, game over.
    Knocks 20mph off her straight away. There's no huge load in the back, I'm not in to high a gear.
    There's only 83k miles on it, I've had it since 60k, I've serviced it every 5k on the 5k so it's not long since it was serviced, filters are clean. It's getting fuel no problem, no stuttering. The GlowPlug/Heating light has come on once or twice while drive though.

What ye reckon the problem is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Seanieke wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I'm driving a Primastar 100dci, as soon as I hit any kind of hill, game over.
    Knocks 20mph off her straight away. There's no huge load in the back, I'm not in to high a gear.
    There's only 83k miles on it, I've had it since 60k, I've serviced it every 5k on the 5k so it's not long since it was serviced, filters are clean. It's getting fuel no problem, no stuttering. The GlowPlug/Heating light has come on once or twice while drive though.

What ye reckon the problem is?
    AFAIK some vans use the glowplug lamp as an engine warning lamp aswell.
    Not sure about Nissan though. Proberly best to get her checked on a computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

try unpluging the air flow meter and the drive it. it will probably cause the engine management light to come on but it wont do any harm to drive it with the AFM disconected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

How do you disconnect that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Do the revs increase when you're climbing the hill? Could be a slipping clutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Am i right in thinking that if the clutch is slipping that it would mean that the clutch would need replacing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yes,
    If its slipping it'll need a new one...

Regardless, it'd be worth doin with that mileage on it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Regardless, it'd be worth doin with that mileage on it anyway
    What?

Have you any idea what it is like to take a box out of a Primastar/Trafic/Vivaro? It is not a job any sane person would take on just because a van has 83k. If the clutch isn't slipping leave it be.

I also do not see the point of unplugging the MAF meter. More than likely this would put the van into limp home mode.

@OP, I think you need to get the van put on a diagnostics device and check fault codes. Come back here if/when you have the results and there may be some follow up advice

By the sounds of it, it sounds like a Rail Pressure sensor etc. Considering its only happening up hills etc when the engine is under a load.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

The clutch in her is grand. I know the gearboxes in them are ment to be made out of chocolate but so far so good! I'm not even gonna think about pulling the gearbox out of it because there's 83k on her (now 85k!)

And there's a seperate light for Engine Warning & GlowPlug/Heating.

I'm looking into buying a diagnostics dodaddle now in another thread, I'll keep ye posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

Sitec wrote: »
    By the sounds of it, it sounds like a Rail Pressure sensor etc. Considering its only happening up hills etc when the engine is under a load.
    Please explain your train of thought on this?
    This is a tech help fourm not a lucky dip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

It could be worth checking the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve as if it is coked up with carbon, it won't let the engine get full boost under load if it's not able to open/close properly.

Not too difficult to get to and clean, there are some step by step guides online if you do a search.

Diagnostics mightn't be a bad idea however, as previosly suggested; especially as a warning light had appeared on the dash...

Hope that helps.

500sel wrote: »
    Please explain your train of thought on this?
    This is a tech help fourm not a lucky dip
    Less of the attitude there buddy im only trying to help out. From my experience with Ivecos this caused the said symtoms. Sensor sending to high a reading to the Ecu, vehicle power limited. Maybe its not the same for a Nissan but im just trying to help the chap out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Lads, there will be no handbags in this forum, myself and Slidey have enough to be doing here without dealing with this

Onkle wrote: »
    Lads, there will be no handbags in this forum, myself and Slidey have enough to be doing here without dealing with this

No problem at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

Sitec wrote: »
    Less of the attitude there buddy im only trying to help out. From my experience with Ivecos this caused the said symtoms. Sensor sending to high a reading to the Ecu, vehicle power limited. Maybe its not the same for a Nissan but im just trying to help the chap out.
    Fair enough. I can see your logic in a rail pressure sensor going into default max pressure. However this would not be affected by engine load or speed. More likley would be air supply/delivery issues (maf, egr, boost pressure, map). Dont take it to heart buddy, but if this fourm is for more advanced members then do you not think we should be using a more advanced methodoligy to finding a solution to the problems. I.E. to test a component rather than just sticking on a new one?:)

500sel wrote: »
    Fair enough. I can see your logic in a rail pressure sensor going into default max pressure. However this would not be affected by engine load or speed. More likley would be air supply/delivery issues (maf, egr, boost pressure, map). Dont take it to heart buddy, but if this fourm is for more advanced members then do you not think we should be using a more advanced methodoligy to finding a solution to the problems. I.E. to test a component rather than just sticking on a new one?:)
    Thats what im saying. The vehicle should be put on diagnostics and checked. Im just trying to give an oppinion based on experience I have. Your experience might be different so were conflicting. Engine load seriously effected the Iveco vans with rail pressure sensor faults. Maybe not Nissans but again from my experience it caused a problem so i thought it might be worth saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Awesome. Kofi Annan would be proud of ye.

Moving on... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Slidey wrote: »
    @OP, I think you need to get the van put on a diagnostics device and check fault codes. Come back here if/when you have the results and there may be some follow up advice

+1

get it on a computer mate, it'll probably be throwing up codes. A main dealer will do it for bout €50

Advertisement