Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job in Germany

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

the pay is rubbish though about 500 a week no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 americanpie

I rang them its 600 euro a 5 day week, 700 euro for a 6 day week.

600 euro for a 48 hr 5 day week is rubbish and an extra 100 for a sat isnt worth it you'd easily make double that for a sat here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

pdiddy wrote: »
    600 euro for a 48 hr 5 day week is rubbish and an extra 100 for a sat isnt worth it you'd easily make double that for a sat here

Better than €200 sitting on your hole

well if goin to be working as an electrician i expect to get the proper rate i didnt spend 4 years working my ass off for rubbish money just to get ripped off in another country if im goin to move abroad for work its gotta be at least worth my while

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

well if goin to be working as an electrician i expect to get the proper rate i didnt spend 4 years working my ass off for rubbish money just to get ripped off in another country if im goin to move abroad for work its gotta be at least worth my while

So €600 for a 5 day week isn't worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

And you can be sure that €600 goes a lot further over there

staker wrote: »
    And you can be sure that €600 goes a lot further over there

Agreed, Fed 5 people dinner, dessert, 3 beers, glass of wine and a few soft drinks for €80 in Dusseldorf.

So €600 for a 5 day week isn't worth it?

its a 48hr week work it out thats 12.50 an hour thats 3rd year rate,dont be so sure it'll go further ive a friend working in angola and thought it was goin to be dirt cheap over there and he reckons its worse then here 30 euro for a cooked pizza,im sure somethings are cheaper but if it was that good we'd all be there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Don't forget about the tax in Germany which can be a much as a third of your gross, depending on your city and circumstances.

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    Don't forget about the tax in Germany which can be a much as a third of your gross, depending on your city and circumstances.

At least your tax actually goes to pay for properly functioning public services!

At least your tax actually goes to pay for properly functioning public services!

that still wouldnt make me feel better bought paying it :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In the 90s I worked on a large project in Germany. I learnt a lot about instrumentation, Ex equipment and I also learnt different wiring and installation tecniques. From a proffessional point of view the experience was fantastic. At job interviews I found that employers were very impressed by overseas experience.

In the job description they talk of loop testing, so I think that instrumentation will feature.

Because I worked only 6 months in the German tax year I was permitted to claim back almost all of the tax that I had paid. Little or no tax always makes a job more attractive! This is not a "tax dodge", it is legitimate.

I really liked the country and the people, also I found that the Germans like the Irish. The cost of living is far less, the beer is fantastic and this job includes accomidation. If I was a single out of work electrician wild horses would not hold me back from applying for that job.

;)

Better than being on the dole anyway, and its 600 after tax, straight into your irish account.

I havent done much instrumentation, is loop testing pretty straight forward or would you want alot of experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Better than €200 sitting on your hole

It might be for some, with no bills or that to pay, still living with parents,
    Or for someone that fancies a new experience working abroad.
    It says max salary 28,800 which is 554 a week. Not many electricians would of been happy with that working here, let alone abroad.

I see your point, but i see the other side of it too. Not much point in hearing the cost of dinner or beers over there, lots would still have to be paying their bills here, while over there, while still paying for dinners and lunches over there.

Maybe it is better than 200 a week unemployed here, but its not as simple as saying its 554 pre tax as opposed to 200. Its not much incentive for someone who purely wants to just get by with family bills here as opposed to someone with no responsibilities and nothing better to be doing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I havent done much instrumentation, is loop testing pretty straight forward or would you want alot of experience?

I had zero instrumentation experience before I worked abroad. It was a learning experience and I enjoy learning. Loop checking is all about belling out cables, ensuring that the right cable goes to the right place. No rocket science but being good at reading drawings is important. You will also learn about P & IDs. It is all interesting stuff that will stand to you. To my surprise I found that my pay was higher than advertised as I was paid an overseas allowance on top of my wages. At the time this was £30 a day tax free.

I see Robbie's point that the pay is not great but for some there is zero pay here. Also a 6 month stint looks great on any CV and makes you much more employable. What sounds better in an interview "I have been on the dole and doing nixers for the last year" or "I have been working hard for a lower rate in Germany on a large industrial project learning about x, y and z" ?? I know who I would give the job to.

At the time I was well paid and the pay went up as I gained experience.

2011 wrote: »
    I see Robbie's point that the pay is not great but for some there is zero pay here. Also a 6 month stint looks great on any CV and makes you much more employable. What sounds better in an interview "I have been on the dole and doing nixers for the last year" or "I have been working hard for a lower rate in Germany on a large industrial project learning about x, y and z" ?? I know who I would give the job to.

At the time I was well paid and the pay went up as I gained experience.

Well i was`t making the point not to do it, just the point that its not always black and white seperating the dole money amount from a job like that in germany, if i had a 550 a week job across the road it would be far more attractive to me than 750 a week down in cork. Its great if ye fancy a stint in germany for 6 months for the experience, but at 28k you could ask why they advertise here? Shortage of sparks in germany?
    As for interview thing, well i agree the fella with 6 months working in germany would be more attractive on paper than fella on the dole. But id say a fella who would do electrician`s job here for 28k would be more attractive than anyone else on his interview list as well. And 28k would do me if it was accross the road within walking distance. Whats great for one might not be for another.
    I would`t mind doing it if i was 20 again though.

.... but at 28k you could ask why they advertise here? Shortage of sparks in germany?

As it happens Irish electricians a highly rated all over the world. It is normal for Irish electricians to be in demand abroad. On the continent you can enjoy a high standard of living on 28k a year. I worked in different countries and from my experience the Irish electricians were often paid more than the locals and many of the management teams were partly or completely Irish. People that worked with Kents for example would have seen this.

As it happens Irish electricians a highly rated all over the world. It is normal for Irish electricians to be in demand abroad. On the continent you can enjoy a high standard of living on 28k a year. I worked in different countries and from my experience the Irish electricians were often paid more than the locals and many of the management teams were partly or completely Irish. People that worked with Kents for example would have seen this.

Yes but we are not living on the continent, my point was never about living on the continent, or about 28k being good or bad, im sure german electricians would manage without us, my point is it suits some, not all. Simple. Some said 28k was not good. Others said its better than the dole. Now its a good standard of living on the continent you say. Thats fine. But lots of us live here, and would`t be worth while going. And irish electricians highly rated, maybe. But this country has a surplus driven by the boom. And you must have seen where all ye had to do on some sites was to be able to drill holes and put up brackets and thats it your a sparks.
    Lets not over complicate it. Somone at the start said 28k was rubbish money. Are they wrong? Would you work on a site here for it? As i said, i would if it was across the road. Would it not be better to work in a local lidl for close enough to that than go to germany? I am not saying it is or is`t, but very few of us go to work for fun. We do it because we have to. And if 28k is to attract the `highly skilled` irish electricians then it would be interesting to see what locals are offered if you reckon irish often get higher than the locals.
    Anyway its all relative,- 28k would be a fortune if the price of everything here halved in the morning. But they would`t of bothered advertising it for 28k 3 or 4 years ago here. I honestly dont think there would be many takers for that anyway, but maybe there will be.
    Someone qualified as electrician should have some expectation, that expectation is above 28k here, why should it be less to work abroad. It is 13 euro an hour before tax and prsi after all. So why bother becoming a sparks at all.

I rang them its 600 euro a 5 day week, 700 euro for a 6 day week.

Is it 700 after the tax though, their add says 28,800 and a 48 hour week.

• Advertisement

I agree with most of what you say Robbie, you make some fair points. I am speaking from my own experience of working there which may not be a fair representation of the current situation.

You are right the money is not great, but for some it is the best offer they will get. I also agree with you that we now suffer from an over supply of electricians due to the boom. If there is a better offer "across the road" for someone then they should take it as you say.

I guess it is like an apprentiship, sometimes you may take a job because it will be good for your future prospects, but not great pay in the short term.

I have worked for less and I would again if I had to. When you work in Germany you do live in the continent and on that sort of money you can have a good time and even save a few bob.

I started work on a new pharmaceutical project recently. On it I met one of my old apprentices for the first time in years. When I last saw him he was about to be let go as he was finishing his time. Since then he has been everywhere from Norway to Germany to Russia, working with many of the people that I worked with. Since returning to Ireland recently he has been in demand and making great money due to his extensive experience gained during his travels. I don't think he would be in such a good position now if he had not taken the oppertunity to travel.

Personaly I am going off to work long hours in very bad conditions in intense heat on a project in one of the most dangerous countries in the world. The pay, not great!!! It will cost me about €2,000 when all is said and done. I'm going to Haiti! New thread to follow.....

I agree with most of what you say Robbie, you make some fair points. I am speaking from my own experience of working there which may not be a fair representation of the current situation.

You are right the money is not great, but for some it is the best offer they will get. I also agree with you that we now suffer from an over supply of electricians due to the boom. If there is a better offer "across the road" for someone then they should take it as you say.

I guess it is like an apprentiship, sometimes you may take a job because it will be good for your future prospects, but not great pay in the short term.

I have worked for less and I would again if I had to. When you work in Germany you do live in the continent and on that sort of money you can have a good time and even save a few bob.

I started work on a new pharmaceutical project recently. On it I met one of my old apprentices for the first time in years. When I last saw him he was about to be let go as he was finishing his time. Since then he has been everywhere from Norway to Germany to Russia, working with many of the people that I worked with. Since returning to Ireland recently he has been in demand and making great money due to his extensive experience gained during his travels. I don't think he would be in such a good position now if he had not taken the oppertunity to travel.

Personaly I am going off to work long hours in very bad conditions in intense heat on a project in one of the most dangerous countries in the world. The pay, not great!!! It will cost me about €2,000 when all is said and done. I'm going to Haiti! New thread to follow.....

Yes as i said i am not saying its terrible and dont go, it would be great for anyone with no ties here. Although they require 6 years post apprenticeship experience so thats me saying id of went when i was 20 out the window.
    Haiti, that sounds interesting, the heat would be my big killer there, Its interesting meeting apprentices from times past alright. I worked with a few from start to finish on and off. Amazing how quick the time seems to be passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the money is average no matter how you dress it up-they have no respect:D

I dont have any ties in Ireland at the moment as I'm just back from Oz, might give this a go, get to see more of the world.

I dont have the 6 years post apprenticeship experience, only have 1 and I didnt do much instrumentation, but I'll chance my arm, see what happens...

I dont have any ties in Ireland at the moment as I'm just back from Oz, might give this a go, get to see more of the world.

I dont have the 6 years post apprenticeship experience, only have 1 and I didnt do much instrumentation, but I'll chance my arm, see what happens...

You may as well, why not. When are you going to go?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    You may as well, why not. When are you going to go?

I think there flying on Tuesday morning, short notice but I may as well go, not much happening here.

I have to get the final details tomorrow, it's through a recruitment agency so the lad I talked to dosen't know exactly what the job entails, I'll have to get more info off of him tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Are you for real???
    The happy days are over and gone - A reality check has taken place. You must have missed it.

A friend of mine in work recently got a quote of €350 to hang 2 doors froma a fella in his mid 20s' - "That's the going rate/It's two days work/I have to travel down to you" were reasons that he gave. (Lives less than 5 miles away!!)
    A fella in his late 40s'/early 50s' ended up doing the job for €150 in just over half a day - and was glad to do it.
    Guess which one of those two is going to make the most money over the next 12 months!!!

I think there flying on Tuesday morning, short notice but I may as well go, not much happening here.

I have to get the final details tomorrow, it's through a recruitment agency so the lad I talked to dosen't know exactly what the job entails, I'll have to get more info off of him tomorrow....

Well hopefully it works out well, as 2011 said, it certainly wont be a waste of time if you went for a few months with the experience there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Are you for real???
    The happy days are over and gone - A reality check has taken place. You must have missed it.

A friend of mine in work recently got a quote of €350 to hang 2 doors froma a fella in his mid 20s' - "That's the going rate/It's two days work/I have to travel down to you" were reasons that he gave. (Lives less than 5 miles away!!)
    A fella in his late 40s'/early 50s' ended up doing the job for €150 in just over half a day - and was glad to do it.
    Guess which one of those two is going to make the most money over the next 12 months!!!

this is the electrical forum not the chippies forum

• Advertisement

Are you for real???

no never missed it im still lucky enuf to be working and getting the rate have work lined up for rest of year and plenty of nixers for weekends normally charge 100-150 euro per day depending on job if there not happy with that let someone else do a cheaper job,if i was goin to move anywhere it'd be england i know many lads there clearing 800 sterling per week easy happy days are still around if u look in the right place

Advertisement