Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job in Germany

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

pdiddy wrote: »
    no never missed it im still lucky enuf to be working and getting the rate have work lined up for rest of year and plenty of nixers for weekends normally charge 100-150 euro per day depending on job if there not happy with that let someone else do a cheaper job,if i was goin to move anywhere it'd be england i know many lads there clearing 800 sterling per week easy happy days are still around if u look in the right place

If you're working and " getting the rate ", why would you do a nixer for only €100 to €150 per day on a weekend?

OP, if you've no mortgage or family commitments I'd say go for it. At the very least you'll open your eyes to different ways of working, you might build some very valuable contacts and possibly get more better paid work out of it too.
    I worked in Netherlands and Germany for short periods, every weekend hop on a train to a different city and enjoy yourself. Hope your passport is in date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If you're working and " getting the rate ", why would you do a nixer for only €100 to €150 per day on a weekend?

Just what i was thinking.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

OP, if you've no mortgage or family commitments I'd say go for it. At the very least you'll open your eyes to different ways of working, you might build some very valuable contacts and possibly get more better paid work out of it too.
    I worked in Netherlands and Germany for short periods, every weekend hop on a train to a different city and enjoy yourself. Hope your passport is in date.
    Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

in germany the figures for wages are normally quoted as the AFTER TAX figure.

So if the job says 28k, thats 28k after tax, social insurance, FULL medical insurance etc.

Or if they say 600 euro a week, thats what you will see paid into your bank after all tax and what not.

The reason they quote after tax is precisely because the tax is so high the only way to know what a job pays is to get the after tax, cash in the pocket figure, which is what they do.

If you got accomodation thrown in too then you would live like a king with 600 quid a week in your pocket. Even at that, rent is nowhere near as dear as in Irish cities.
    A crate of beer (20 bottles) is about a tenner and like was said earlier, eating out is for a pittance compared to Ireland. A Pizza about 4.50 to 5.50 for example or a feed of pasta for about the same price.
    If you can stay out of the pub then your money will go a long way in germany .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Even if you stay in the pub your money will go a long way, I know because I tried it !!! The beer is strong, beautiful and cheap. Also the German girls...... steady now, down with that sort of thing!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

thats prob why i have plenty of nixers and others have none cos im reasonable,thats my price for labour only why should i rip people off,most saturdays im finished by half 3 or 4,if i was to charge more id quickly get a name as being too expensive im from a small town,i dont need to charge more so why should i

I think Eoghan's point was that you claim to be getting the rate but at those prices it would seem that you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

2011 wrote: »
    I think Eoghan's point was that you claim to be getting the rate but at those prices it would seem that you are not.

i get the rate from my employer i work a normal 5 day wk with a fairly big employer as an industrial spark,i was talking bout my own sat jobs cash in hand hence the reason i said nixer

600 euro for a 48 hr 5 day week is rubbish and an extra 100 for a sat isnt worth it you'd easily make double that for a sat here
    Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post
    no never missed it im still lucky enuf to be working and getting the rate have work lined up for rest of year and plenty of nixers for weekends normally charge 100-150 euro per day depending on job if there not happy with that let someone else do a cheaper job,
    thats prob why i have plenty of nixers and others have none cos im reasonable,thats my price for labour only why should i rip people off,most saturdays im finished by half 3 or 4,if i was to charge more id quickly get a name as being too expensive im from a small town,i dont need to charge more so why should i

Yes your argument is beginning to make sense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 americanpie

I took the job, started last Wednsday on a huge industrial site, biggest site I was ever on. Foremen and other lads are sound, hopefully I´ll learn about instrumentation and other industrial areas. Food and beer is cheap rent is taken care of, happy days.

Living in a nice area nice house with 3 other sound irish lads, I can fly home and back for €30, (god bless Ryanair).

Something different anyway, just hope the work lasts.

Bye now

• Advertisement

In the 90s I was in exactly your position. No regrets.

I wish you the very best of luck! Fair play to you.

Great stuff OP, I'm sure you'll enjoy the hard work and experience

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

the pay is rubbish though about 500 a week no thanks

Well sorry but at the moment i will do any job only if it pay,s more then 270 eu a week
    what is rubbish in these times???
    Maybe for you if u have plenty savings

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lightnin

well if goin to be working as an electrician i expect to get the proper rate i didnt spend 4 years working my ass off for rubbish money just to get ripped off in another country if im goin to move abroad for work its gotta be at least worth my while

Well how about this then:

ELECTRICIANS working on Bass Strait oil and gas platforms are earning up to $260,000(~EUR177,028) a year, with unions declaring them the nation's best paid tradies.

http://www.news.com.au/business/tradies-do-it-tough-to-earn-260000/story-e6frfm1i-1225852543333

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

lightnin wrote: »
    Well how about this then:

ELECTRICIANS working on Bass Strait oil and gas platforms are earning up to $260,000(~EUR177,028) a year, with unions declaring them the nation's best paid tradies.

http://www.news.com.au/business/tradies-do-it-tough-to-earn-260000/story-e6frfm1i-1225852543333
    Nice. Kentz/Thiess Kentz have a lot of work out there I hear. Very difficult to get in with them though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

el diablo wrote: »
    Nice. Kentz/Thiess Kentz have a lot of work out there I hear. Very difficult to get in with them though.

You have to have the Austrialian Ticket! They were advertising for 4 places.

Advertisement