Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics & Chemistry as one LC subject?

Options
  • 19-03-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi guys,

I am looking to choose subjects for next year and I was def going to do Physics and Chemisty.

Looking through LC subjects there is also a single Physics & Chem exam.

Is there much difference in studying them individually or together? Would it be possible to study Physics, Chemistry and Physics and Chemistry?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Reg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No it's not permissible to take the Physics & Chemistry exam if taking either (or both) Physics and Chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I'm a bit off my familiar turf here, but from what I'm told, the combined course is certainly not a soft option, in that it has more than half of each of the individual courses. So, in terms of points/grade, you get half the benefit for more than half the work.

Also, I'd be surprised if your school is able to offer the two individual subjects and the combined subject, so the choice may not be open to you. The combined subject is often offered in schools where they're unlikely to have enough students to put the two individual subjects on the timetable, but do have sufficient interest in the combined subject to make it viable. Check out what your school has available.

I would say that if the two individual subjects are available to you, and if you you were sufficiently interested to have decided to do them both in the first instance, then you should stick to that first instinct.

(And of course Spurious is correct.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I was told that Phys/Chem is easier than Chemistry or Physics individually, because it doesn't get into as much nitty gritty detail. I don't know how true that it is though.

Be aware of the courses you may be interested in- Pharmacy in TCD for example requires a HC3 in Chemistry, and doesn't accept Phys/Chem. That's understandable though, considering the amount of Chemistry the course would involve.

Advertisement