Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good analysis of text exchnage

• 19-03-2010 9:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Hey, there is a man who analyses men's text exchanges with women.

Below is an excerpt from one of his analyses.

I'd like to see what some mainstream psycologists think of it.

Conversation Demolition Excerpt

Him: What has little balls and screws old ladies?
    I like this. Starting off with a playful joke with obvious sexual undertones, this has a lot of potential. Great opening text message.
    Her (12 hours later):Hey I never got the end of the joke. I have been living in suspense for the past 12 hours!
    Him: Lol. Hmm, should I keep you in suspense longer or give you the punchline...
    Her: PUNCHLINE!
    So far, so good. She complies (although belatedly... **** happens, it's text) and asks for the punchline. You throw in a little bit of hoop theory and make her almost beg for the punchline. She complies AGAIN! At this point, you need to reward her for her compliance and give it to her. She's jumped through enough hoops, if you make her jump through another one, she might...
    Him: Nah, I think I'd like to keep you on the edge of your seat a little longer yeah, that'll be way more fun
    Her: Haha thanks. This better be a good joke!
    ...start challenging your frame. Whereas if you had dropped the punchline earlier, it would have been funny, spiked attraction and created a sexual conversation thread, you've now created a challenging frame where you're holding out on her and no matter when you give the punchline, it's not going to be nearly as funny.
    Him: It's terrible. But I want you to laugh as hard as you can at it when I finally give it to you!
    Here's where you start losing it. You're becoming attached to the outcome and her reaction to your joke. You're quickly killing any chance for this joke to be funny and definitely killing any chance of it spiking attraction.
    Her: I will do what I can.
    You're lucky this girl is nice. :)
    Her (one hour later): Wait. Its BINGO!
    And tenacious. Looks like she knows how to use google. Strangely enough, you should take this as an IOI. As much as you botched your clever joke, this chick was still curious enough (or bored enough) to sit around and figure it out or hop on a computer and look it up. I guess you could call this "implied compliance," because the actions she WOULD HAVE TO TAKE to make this statement sub-communicate compliance to you.
    Him: Hahahaha. Yeah! Nice work. You should get some sort of prize but I don't know what.
    Right idea, but bad execution. You're a man. You ALWAYS know what the **** you're doing, got it? I would reword this to say, "Hahaha. Yeah! Nice work. You should get a prize for being so damn clever." This would elicit her to say, "Oh! What's the prize!?! Which can easily be converted to either a phone call or day 2. Instead, you don't come out and make any sort of strong statement, and what happens when men don't make strong statements?
    Her: A bingo card perhaps?
    They lose their dominance.
    Him: Boring! Besides, I don't have one
    This just plain miscalibrated. Let's do a little recap. You botched a good joke, didn't reward her for her compliance, and then struggled with your "prize" flirtation. Right here she's basically TRYING to save your ass by giving you an idea. What do you do? You shut her down outright, killing her thread. Dude, she's throwing you a life preserver and you basically say, "No thanks, I can swim to shore."
    Her: Then my prize shall be nothing.
    And that's what you end up with... nothing.

Advertisement