Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How easy is it to damage a DVD RW?

• 19-03-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bit of a silly thread but anyhow...

I lost my temper last week after my motherboard died and slammed my fist down on the top of the case (right above the dvd rw) before finishing my tantrum with a swift kick to the case door.... :rolleyes:

This was all while the system was powered on (although no real activity in the drives as the system wouldn't post) and with a disc in the drive too....

Now what causes my concern for the state of my DVD RW is the fact that I may have damaged a previous DVD drive I owned in the past by doing the same thing (slammed the top of the case). Although I really can't be certain that is what caused it's demise. It didn't die completely, it just had to be replaced as it was literally cracking discs. So don't know if that kind of behavior is likely to be caused by vibration/impact..

My current DVD RW is a pretty good quality Samsung, whereas the previous one which started to fail was quite an old, cheap, LG drive.

So given that I will soon be building a brand new system along with upgrading to Windows 7, the last thing I need is for my DVD RW to start cracking/destroying discs on me!!! Especially not a brand new W7 install disc! So what are the chances of this drive being damaged, keeping in mind it does act normal (as far as I can test it without a working system), opens/closes fine etc. How robust are modern DVD/CD drives?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Was the drive in operation when it was moved violently?
    If not, certain parts should have been "locked" into their normal resting position and lesser damage might have been possible done.
    Damage to the reading heads is always possible by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

1) http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=127

2) Rather than take chances I would get a new DVD-Rom drive. Keep the suspect Drive as a secondary/Write-to-blank only drive. That way all you're losing is a blank disc if something does go bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Overheal wrote: »
    1) http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=127

2) Rather than take chances I would get a new DVD-Rom drive. Keep the suspect Drive as a secondary/Write-to-blank only drive. That way all you're losing is a blank disc if something does go bad.

LOL! No.1: Noted.

Was hoping not to have to spend more cash tbh... as I've only just ordered a tonne of new hardware (on it's way as I speak). If it really is necessary, I guess I'd just have to buy a cheapo DVD drive unfotrunately. Is there a way I could test my current one though? By spinning an unwanted disc in it for a few hours maybe and observing the result?

Biggins, I don't know if you could say it was in operation. I mean the system was turned on and there was a disc sitting idle in the drive so it wasn't doing much if at all I would assume. Also I forgot to mention that where I slammed the top of the case, the DVD drive isn't actually 'right underneath'. It's actually about three drive bays down, underneath my sound card controller. So not sure if that changes anything.

Advertisement