Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

petrol vs diesel car

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

SV wrote: »
    When ye all stop trying to make out that they're rocket ships it will stop.

Until then..

Hey, believe me I don't like the clowns who feel they're rockets any more than you do but not all of us think like that and in fairness, there are plenty of people driving Hyundai Coupe's (and similar) who reckon they're in rocket-ships too just because they're petrol cars and 'look sporty' :D I think you would have to laugh at them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Hey, believe me I don't like the clowns who feel they're rockets any more than you do but not all of us think like that and in fairness, there are plenty of people driving Hyundai Coupe's (and similar) who reckon they're in rocket-ships too just because they're petrol cars and 'look sporty' :D I think you would have to laugh at them too.

true enough I suppose, I'm just unlucky in that I'm surrounded by people in work and..well, where I live who believe TDIs (especially Golf TDIs) are the be all and all of 'fast' cars..

Gets VERY annoying to hear someone say their 'remapped golf turbo diesel' would make bits of my car in a race..oh well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

As someone who doesn't care about the fuel used to power my car either way, you didn't touch a nerve :) I've owned petrol cars before and definitely will again. I choose a car to suit my needs not because I want approval from anyone else.

However, it's very tiresome reading the same old put downs every day. If you've nothing original to add than T-didily I then perhaps you shouldn't post, that's all. It was funny(ish) the first few times it was posted but now it's just aping something that is no longer funny...a bit like how 'Yore Ma' got boring very quickly in the AFter Hours forum.

So if you want to be unoriginal, uninspriing and generally try to gain self-validation and approval from other posters by using tired old put downs then fire away but just remember that not everyone thinks you're 'cool' for posting it...some of us are a bit more mature than that.

Def touched a nerve so:D;):p

Don't get me wrong - I've no problem with the VAG diesels and the post I replied to turned out to be a different engine but it was just a more polite way of saying bullsh1t to a 2 litre diesel being as fast as a 350Z.

I understand that owning one you may feel obliged to defend them against a "put down" to some extent but there have been instances here over the last few weeks of dreamers and their VAG diesels. It's almost on a par with the Renault tit for tat in a few other threads at the moment. As for your last comment...if you really think I give a toss what anyone else thinks you're mistaken. This places sole purpose is to pass a little time during the day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

lads are there any sites that help you check what difference petrol/ diesel car would make to you. I'm currently in a 1.8 focus traveling 75 miles 7 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I was never trying to say that the diesel is faster, as has been said two different cars, ofcourse the lighter more powerful one is quicker. My point should have been that I bought the diesel with my head because of my circumstances and millage. However, I was surprised at how quick the car feels. I recently had an 09 A4 for 3 days with 143bhp and thought it felt very average.

The bang for buck element is what it comes down to.

Tinner, do you know what MPG you get from your car at the minute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

tinner777 wrote: »
    lads are there any sites that help you check what difference petrol/ diesel car would make to you. I'm currently in a 1.8 focus traveling 75 miles 7 days a week.

Check www.parkers.co.uk for MPG figures on what you have, and what your considering. - then convert this figure to miles per litre. X = 10 (example - my car(45MPG(imperial))) - you can convert this using google.
    Then factor in the milage you do - ~27k miles per year. Y = 27000
    Factor in the difference in cost of buying diesel v petrol (although this fluctuates). (e.g Z = 1.2 diesel or 1.3 petrol)

Fuel cost = (Y/X)*Z = (27000/10)*1.2 = 3,240

Other aspects to consider are the service intervals and cost. Also engine size for motor tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

If the OP is only doing 12000 miles p.a. then I would be very, very surprised if the diesel will be cheaper in the long run.

Buy a V8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

I drive petrol and diesel. Both have their advantages. Diesel (turbo) is economical and diesel is cheaper but lacks refinement, complicated engines (turbo's, HP fuel pumps), higher initial cost, diesel is smelly and sooty and you need to wear gloves when filling. Petrol (NA) engines are more refined, simple, cheaper to buy initially but are not as efficient and have higher CO2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

petrol cars are the best around nothing gonna keep me down cos im the best around

• Advertisement

I take it all back, after a few quick sums for a 2004 Octavia, doing 10,000 miles annually will be €336 cheaper in the diesel.
    Engine type	tax	mpg	mileage	gallons	litres	cost/l	cost p.a
    1.6 Petrol	445	39	20000	512.82	2331.33	1.3	€3,030.73
    1.9 diesel	614	54	20000	370.37	1683.74	1.2	€2,020.49
    1.6 Petrol	445	39	10000	256.41	1165.66	1.3	€1,515.36
    1.9 diesel	614	54	10000	185.19	841.87	1.2	€1,010.24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

2 Espressi wrote: »
    I take it all back, after a few quick sums for a 2004 Octavia, doing 10,000 miles annually will be €336 cheaper in the diesel.
    Engine type	tax	mpg	mileage	gallons	litres	cost/l	cost p.a
    1.6 Petrol	445	39	20000	512.82	2331.33	1.3	€3,030.73
    1.9 diesel	614	54	20000	370.37	1683.74	1.2	€2,020.49
    1.6 Petrol	445	39	10000	256.41	1165.66	1.3	€1,515.36
    1.9 diesel	614	54	10000	185.19	841.87	1.2	€1,010.24

So for removing nearly all the fun in driving you get to save 28 a month..
    nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭roosterman71

nice.

How much more fun do you get in a 1.6 petrol compared to the 1.9 diesel?

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Engine type    tax    mpg    mileage    gallons    litres    cost/l    cost p.a
    1.6 Petrol    445    39    20000    512.82    2331.33    1.3    €3,030.73
    1.9 diesel    614    54    20000    370.37    1683.74    1.2    €2,020.49
    1.6 Petrol    445    39    10000    256.41    1165.66    1.3    €1,515.36
    1.9 diesel    614    54    10000    185.19    841.87    1.2    €1,010.24

does a 2004 Octy have a DMF ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

A 1.9 turbo diesel has plenty of potential for fun :p

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

nice.

In fairness, roosterman71 is right, the 1.6 petrol won't be any fun in an octavia...
    It would be interesting to see the savings versus a bigger petrol engine...then it would be worth considering if the removal of high-revving petrol fun was worth it :)

However, the calculations all rely on the quoted mpg being accurate. Remember that quoted mpg is under 'ideal' conditions. A person driving the petrol at a steady cruising speed on a Motorway might get 39 mpg but the guy driving the diesel at 85MPH plus on the same stretch of Motorway might get less than 39 mpg and certainly shedloads less than the quoted 55mpg...this I know from experience :D

All in all a 1.6 Octavia won't be fun. The 1.9 isn't much fun either but certainly a better engine for that size car than the 1.6 (imo only). Now a larger petrol engine in the Octavia would be much better fun than the 1.9 diesel for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

However, the calculations all rely on the quoted mpg being accurate. Remember that quoted mpg is under 'ideal' conditions. A person driving the petrol at a steady cruising speed on a Motorway might get 39 mpg but the guy driving the diesel at 85MPH plus on the same stretch of Motorway might get less than 39 mpg and certainly shedloads less than the quoted 55mpg...this I know from experience :D

All in all a 1.6 Octavia won't be fun. The 1.9 isn't much fun either but certainly a better engine for that size car than the 1.6 (imo only). Now a larger petrol engine in the Octavia would be much better fun than the 1.9 diesel for sure.

Are you trying to confuse things further?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I take it that was the older TDI and not the new Common-rail TDI engine? I'm not saying the new common-rail engine is as refined as a petrol but it's a hell of a lot better than the old TDI engines...at least, on the A3 it is. I imagine it's the same for the A4.

No, it was a 2005 2.0tdi common rail diesel. A 4pot diesel is always going to sound like a bag of rusty spanners compared to a 6cyl engine, especially a petrol.

Granted the 2.0tdi is nicer sounding than the 1.9tdi, but it could hardly be worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

No, it was a 2005 2.0tdi common rail diesel.

They only switched to CR 2 years ago when the then new A4 came out. 05's were PD.

Re petrol vs diesel you have to balance the lower road tax and superior resale value of diesel against the potential of modern diesels to have very expensive problems.

Many diesels with DPFs don't like being driven mainly around town, they need to be taken for good spins on open roads to keep the DPF happy. OTOH DI petrols suffer from carbon build up if they are driven too gently too and that is expensive to fix.

If you're buying second hand you will pay pay less for petrol but will get less when you want to trade in. The flip side is that if you keep a car long enough it doesn't matter and if you're saving today and losing tomorrow vs paying a lot more today but getting it back tomorrow then you're not really paying extra for petrol ownership, especially as petrols are not going to have DMF trouble, and few have complicated injector or turbo problems to worry about either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Apologies for any mistakes made with regards to CR diesels.

The point I was getting across was that after owning a Diesel car, the extra cost of running a petrol car more than made up for the sheer boringness of the diesels. Untill costs force me to drive a diesel, I'll be driving petrol.

The refinement of a 6cyl petrol is astonishing compared to a recent diesel.

Sean.

Apologies for any mistakes made with regards to CR diesels.
    I thought so :)
    The point I was getting across was that after owning a Diesel car, the extra cost of running a petrol car more than made up for the sheer boringness of the diesels. Untill costs force me to drive a diesel, I'll be driving petrol.

The refinement of a 6cyl petrol is astonishing compared to a recent diesel.

Sean.
    I do agree with this though. There is no way you can compare a 4pot diesel with a 6pot petrol, however, again, if you compare like-with-like then the newer CR diesels are far more refined than the older ones but still less refined than a 4pot petrol. However, the distance is not so big anymore.

That's not to say the gap will close further, I don't think it will but let's face it, this argument is irrelevant because in ten years time we'll all be driving electric cars :D:p from our super-energy-efficient homes to the spaceport...before dropping the kids off for laser hockey...
    /dreamworld

• Advertisement

I picked the 1.6 as it puts out about 110bhp, roughtly the same as the TDI. Obviously a larger petrol engine is going to be more "fun", but that wasn't the purpose of the comparison. And even if the the MPG values are off, they still give the comparitive advantage to the Diesel.

I'm not trying to advocate "diesel as fun" either, I'm just talking about the daily schlep to work and back. The Octavia sums are because I need a baby hauler, not a track day special. I've someting much more fun for the weekend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Went from a 2.0 140bhp FWD TDI A4 to a 2.2 Petrol 170bhp RWD 5 Series and I don't think I would go back to diesel untill costs forced me to. It's gone from a boring 45mpg to a smiles all round 30mpg.

It's smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon for me!!

I've just gone from a car doing 20/25mpg to a car doing 45/50mpg (210BHP Petrol turbo to a 150BHP diesel turbo) and although I am making savings (about €30/€35 a week), it is oh so boring. The car I have now is the exact same model as before, but I really miss the sound of the engine, the exhaust, the unending power and no need to change gears as much, I LOVED getting upto 80mph in 3rd but alas, it has to be done to save on the yoyo's

Advertisement