Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoke Away-Match Thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

If Defoe was fit I reckon Redknapp would have dropped Pavlyuchenko to accommodate Crouch in the team for that very reason. Might be time for us to accept that 'Arry might just have a plan when he makes what we think are bewildering team selections.
    It was a bit crude but definitely effective. It still doesn't make Harry a tactical mastermind. ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

el diablo wrote: »
    It was a bit crude but definitely effective. It still doesn't make Harry a tactical mastermind. ;)

No, but it is a bit more nuanced than "I can't believe he's fúcking rested [insert player name]for this game".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

"resting" palacious is never a good idea

mickman wrote: »
    "resting" palacious is never a good idea

Name your midfield for Wednesday if he'd got suspended then...

bale modric kranjcar bentley

pal could miss the fulham and pompey matches.

now he is most likely to miss at least one of the big april games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I dunno mickman has a point,

To have any serious hope of getting 4th we need to win 2 of those games and also do the "easy" teams.

I would have been happy to see pal miss the weaker teams also.

if he is out against arsenal or chelsea they will run right through us in midfield

No guarantee Bentley available for Wednesday night.

He took a gamble, it paid off. If he had played Palacios and he'd picked up a suspension, there'd be people cúnting him off for throwing the FA Cup away (like he has been criticised for last season in Europe)

I wasn't happy Wilson wasn't played either, but in hindsight Stoke never posed a threat through the middle (they were too busy kicking us) and Kaboul played well.

yeah kaboul did play very well but he could just have easily had a shocker and we could have lost. if we had lost then the mood would be very different. he has to take gambles every now and then as we know but he must see that wilson will get the last yellow at some stage and we have to plan the two games he will miss. imagine if we go to old trafford without him, it could be 4-0

yeah kaboul did play very well but he could just have easily had a shocker and we could have lost. if we had lost then the mood would be very different. he has to take gambles every now and then as we know but he must see that wilson will get the last yellow at some stage and we have to plan the two games he will miss. imagine if we go to old trafford without him, it could be 4-0

We will lose at Old Trafford like we always do, since they will still be fighting for the title.

A win on Wednesday night puts us one game away from an FA Cup Final, I don't know about you lot but I grew up wanting to see my team win trophies. What colour medal does 4th place get?

I fúcking hate the way this game has become...:(

• Advertisement

We will lose at Old Trafford like we always do, since they will still be fighting for the title.

A win on Wednesday night puts us one game away from an FA Cup Final, I don't know about you lot but I grew up wanting to see my team win trophies. What colour medal does 4th place get?

I fúcking hate the way this game has become...:(

we all want to see spurs winning trophies man but 4th is what its all about in my opinion. champs league means a lot of money (potentially), better players wanting to join our club, spurs being in europes premier competition, our best players wanting to stay rather than join other clubs etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

if we can get Palacios through till the arsenal match without getting a yellow then it won't matter because he can collect another 5 before being given a ban:D also he has gone 6 games on 9 yellows and managed ot to pick another one up yet

I'm only 26 but I remember the magic the fa cup had. It was really when united didn't play in it that it lost it.

Having said that I would take 4th anyday over it now. Fourth may not have a medal but no amount of medals is going to get the likes of Torres on board unless we are in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

What people don't realise it seems that 4th only guarantees a shot at CL football. I wouldn't fancy us against any half decent opposition in the qualifiers as we are still full of bottlers. Everton and Newcastle both finished 4th and didn't make the CL. if I was offered beating either Chelsea or Villa well in a Wembley final or the shot at CL football in August from finishing 4th I'd go for the former just.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Pav back on saturday he had a muscle spasm has to rest it for a few days he's out of wednesdays game tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Surely its about time we went there, showed some balls and gave them a proper game, instead of rolling over once something goes wrong.

Thats assuming we dont get ripped off again. :rolleyes:

Oh a side note did you ever think a game v Stoke would generate a 100 post thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

ziedth wrote: »
    Oh a side note did you ever think a game v Stoke would generate a 100 post thread :)

Hopefully we will have plenty more to shout about between now and season end, we might make 200 at some stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Surely its about time we went there, showed some balls and gave them a proper game, instead of rolling over once something goes wrong.

Thats assuming we dont get ripped off again. :rolleyes:

I don't see us ever winning a match against Utd, especially away. They are our biggest bogey team, and we just seem to have some sort of mental block when it comes to playing them, as proven by the 1 - 3 drubbing earlier in the season. I definitely feel that Webb changed the game in OT last year with that ridiculous penalty decision though still feel that we would have lost the game anyway due to not having the balls to keep the challenge up.

Having said that, I'd rather have Utd as our bogey team rather than a team in the lower half of the table. I've never looked at the upcoming match as anything other than 0 points.

SuprSi wrote: »
    I don't see us ever winning a match against Utd, especially away. They are our biggest bogey team, and we just seem to have some sort of mental block when it comes to playing them, as proven by the 1 - 3 drubbing earlier in the season. I definitely feel that Webb changed the game in OT last year with that ridiculous penalty decision though still feel that we would have lost the game anyway due to not having the balls to keep the challenge up.

Having said that, I'd rather have Utd as our bogey team rather than a team in the lower half of the table. I've never looked at the upcoming match as anything other than 0 points.

we do have a bogey team in the lower half im afraid, they go by the name of wolves

• Advertisement

we do have a bogey team in the lower half im afraid, they go by the name of wolves
    Hopefully they go down but it's starting to look unlikely now. I'll be shouting for the Hammers tonight. ;)

I dunno I kinda like Mick McCarthy and I loathe west ham.

ziedth wrote: »
    I dunno I kinda like Mick McCarthy and I loathe west ham.
    Yeah but West Ham is usually a handy 6 points for us most seasons. :p At least they try to play football rather than parking the bus like Wolves.

Advertisement