Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Degree - Working in Ireland

• 19-03-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi Everyone,

Just posting on behalf of my girlfriend who is currently studying in the US.

I have no idea about the Psychology world being an engineer and would like some advice if anyone can help.

Basically she is American and we met when she was studying in abroad and is now looking to return here after she graduates in May. She qualifies for a British passport so can work here freely as an EU citizen.

She is studying a 4 year BA in Psychology at Penn Sate University http://psychology.psu.edu/undergrad-4yrPrograms.html#11

What would she need to do now to continue gaining work experience so she can return to college and study for a post grad qualification. Ie what type of jobs, what type of training course or certs should she aim to get when she first moves over allowing her to take up such roles.

She saw this before christmas and is quite interested in going towards this type of study as she is very interested in the area and follows on from some of the work experience she has done within Penn State.

http://www.childandyouthresearch.ie/content.html

Although I still get the feeling she is still a little unsure as to what type of work she wants to do with children and youth development, I know that's where her interest is.

Obviously having a US degree there will probably be some red tape in trying to apply to the PSI. I'm not sure how big they will be.

I am currently living in Belfast where work-experience type jobs seem so much more widespread however i am returning to Galway for a new role myself in a few weeks and she will be arriving after she graduates.

Many thanks for any replies
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

To be honest, the best advice she could get if she contacts the PhD programme directly, and also PSI about how her undergraduate degree would be recognised here. She'll probably need to provide her full transcripts and curriculum, for a start. People tend to be quite helpful if you pick up the phone and ask them.

A basic degree in psychology isn't a professional qualification, so she might be able to get a job in social/health/child care as an unqualified assistant or as a volunteer. As there are a lot of psychology grads trying to get into post-grad courses, maybe some of them here on boards could give you a better answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

Thanks for the reply.

My plan is to contact both of these when I move home again but am quite tied up now with handing over duties at work and sorting out my move back from Northern Ireland and all that goes with it.

I understand about the basic degree from reading around, she wants to do assistant/childcare work to build her cv to qualify for a post grad. When she first moves over she accepts she may have to do unrelated work (waitress etc) whilst getting required qualifications to get a more relevant job. Simple things like Garda Vetting etc even seem to be quite complex for non EU citizens (Technically she is one but never resident)

Maybe it would have been easier me go there, even with the US immigration! NAh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Might it speed things up if she got police clearance where she lives? so that the Gardai just have to check with them? I know that it takes quite a long time, although I was fast fwded being a HSE employee - but no chance of anyone getting a job there in the HSE due to the recruitment freeze for the last -almost 2 years? now. She may well need to do some voluntary hours to get experience while waitressing or whatever. Check out Mental health Ireland which may have a list of voluntary organisations. But the best thing is for her to contact people in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I went to a lecture last year given by an American counselling psychologist working in Dublin. She earned her qualification in Trinity but the PSI would not let her register as her undergraduate was awarded in the states. Madness if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

I guess I'll have to ring the PSI and see. You wouldn't have that girls name Valmont? Would be nice to have a chat with her.

I mean Penn State is an unbelievable university compared to what we have here, and shes paid enough to do her Degree there! I'd be disgusted but then it would be typical if she could get it recognized.

• Advertisement
Advertisement