Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 Meg from Eircom??

• 19-03-2010 11:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Hello, I am new to the whole concept of DSL and my exchange only got enabled this year and I have yet to order DSL. My telephone cable is exactly 2400 metres (2.4kms) from the exchange as I got the technician to measure it when he was out to a fault (faulty socket) in preparation for the 24 megs. The actual drive to the exchange is less!

My telephone line is perfect and I am on an ADSL2 exchange and years ago when I used dialup I used to get around 50kb/s. I rang Eircom today and they told me my line would support upto 7.6 megs. My sister who lives in the village and is considerably closer to the exchange has her line rated for 17megs according to them!

Will I be stuck on 7 megs or what is my line likely to yield? I currently have a good fast connection >10MB and my plan was to get a 24meg from Eircom also and double them up!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

You're quite far away from the exchange in ADSL2 terms, but not a crazy distance. Therefore, it may be the culmination of both distance/line quality that is effecting the expected speeds eircom are quoting.

If you're 2.4km as the crow flies then you could add a bit onto that again for the phone line.

Here's a rough guide on distance/speed ratio's:
    http://www.tpg.com.au/dslam/faq.php

You really ought to get the downstream attenuation and noise margin from your current setup if you're already on broadband and then it'd be easier to measure your line's capabilities.

I'm about 1.4km (on the phone line, much closer as the crow flies) away and I'm getting 20mbit from eircom after they initially said, and connected me up at, 17mbit.

But would it really be worth paying for the 24mbit ADSL2 package if you're only getting, probably, tops 10mbit?

You'd probably be better off with ADSL1 and the 7.6mbit (or is it 8mbit now?) package, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

As the crow flies doesn't work in this technology i am afraid.If all your line is capable is 7.6 then you would be probably better off staying on that connection.Apparently i live .6km away from the local exchange but i can assure you i live even closer than that, but what way the lines go is another matter.Spongebob linked to a decent site whilst not 100% accurate can give you almost all of what your line is capable of.Maybe the link should be stickied...

Advertisement