Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

invoice for electrical work

Options
  • 19-03-2010 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Below is the invoice:

Sitting Room: 5 Double Sockets
    1 Centre Light (2 way switching)
    Supply cable for 2 wall lights
    2 TV Points
    1 Smoke Alarm
    1 Fuse Outlet & Pipe Stat for stove

Hotpress: 1 Immersion Switch & Timeclock
    1 Cable supply & Timeclock (boiler)
    Earthing

Bedroom: 5 Double Sockets
    1 Centre Light
    Supply Cable for 2 Wall Lights
    Supply Cable for Wardrobe Light
    1 Phone Point

Ensuite: 1 Centre Light
    Supply Cable for Sink Light
    Supply Cable for T90 Shower
    1 Extractor Fan
    1 Fan Heater

Outside: 2 Bulkhead Light (side)
    Supply Cable for 2 Wall Lights (patio door)
    Supply Cable for Outdoor Boiler

Other Work: Disconnection of cables in original hotpress
    New Circuits to be connected at Fuse Board

I supplied all the lights and the bathroom fan, the electrician supplied wire and sockets, I wired TV Ariel and satellite dish in both sitting room and bedroom, I also wired centre light in the sitting room because the electrician claimed he didn’t know how to wire that particular Ikea light.
    The electrician refused to provide the cert, said that is only issued for the ESB new connection
    The electrician only gave me the quote after he almost finished work.
    Initially he was charging me for 2K, after negotiation he agreed to reduce the payment to 1.7K without not much argument. But I have an impression he is still overcharging us.
    If you read my previous post, we are having some dispute with the contractor, the electrician is related to contractor, and it seems they are putting a fast on us.
    Could any electrician here have a look of this invoice, see whether it is reasonable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you could prob get it done cheaper

the spec is reasonably high for extension or whatever it is,so you'd only be talking a few hundred anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xileer

The electrician jumped the locked gate and went to our house threatening to remove our electricity box if I didn't pay him NOW! Despite I told him that we were waiting for defect report from a charted surveyor and advise from the solicitor, he insisted I should pay him immediately because he need to pay the supplier, then he offered to reduce the payment and gave us another 2 or 3 days to work it out.

You are right about I am demanding a good service. when I am paying for a service, I expect the service to reach a standard, in this case, to reach a regular building standards or what so ever.

In answer to your question of that particular Ikea light, he wired light too low. The light was so low that any adult walking under that light will be hit by the light, instead of rewire it, he suggested us to put a TABLE under the light in the centre of the sitting room.

the list I posted in previous post is his original invoice, I didn't change any word, he only gave to us when the work almost finished.

I only discovered today that the TV and satellite cable didn't connect to anywhere, yet he charged in his invoice.

I am simply looking for the advise here. Is that invoice reasonable?

Because it has been too much hassling for a young family with a 3 month old baby. The contractor whom the electrician was working for has disappeared without a trace. I am thinking if his invoice is within the reason, I might pay him separately for the sake of peace .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ciarán_1

I know a bit about the business of electrics. You are entitled to ask for the electricians nsai number, and make sure they are properly qualified before they go near the job.
    electricians can be pricey, but just because u get the cheapest price does not guarantee the job done is at a high standard.
    check how reputable the electrician is, etc. there are plenty of electricians out there so there should be no problem getting a decent electrician for a competitive price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

Hi Ex,

I am an electrical contractor and based on your list I cannot see any more than about €250 to €300 in materials here. I am assuming all the fittings are the white plastic type. I'm not gonna offer an opinion on the total price but you can decide for yourself based on how long he was actually there working.

Also you are not looking for an NSAI number but a RECI or ECSSA number. This will be of no use really though except to ascertain whether the guy is actually registered. A cert should be issued regardless of whether it is a new connection or not. Any work this guy has carried out on your house will nullify the original cert that was issued and so he should provide a new one.

Obviously jumping over your locked gate was trespassing regardless of any reasons for doing so. He certainly has no right to come in and take anything that has already been installed as this would be against your wishes and again trespassing. There are two sides to every story and I can sympathise with someone trying to collect money owing as I find myself spending a lot of time doing it in vain at the moment as well. However threatening behaviour is not acceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.

My two cents worth..

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Fair point by knx but i would also suggest the importance of a proper quotation prior to start. In my own fault i had just appointed an electrician (reputable) this week. His quotation was good. He was just about to start on monday and to my ignorance i had forwarded him my alternate quote, one whom i had completely dismissed. I met him today and he upped his price by 2000 euro. I guess he smelt a killing based on the alternate quotation. When questioned he could only validagte 400 euro of extras. Still looking for a good electrician in Mayo tonight but a lesson better learned now than in 3 weeks time.
    Best of luck,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

TBH that job sounds like €1700 inc vat, so price isn't that far out.
    The deal with the Ikea light sounds like he's lazy.
    He should give you a cert for any new circuits added.
    His threatening behaviour should not be tolerated, it doesn't matter if the customer is the biggest arsehole in the world, you can't threaten the customer.

Tell him your contract is with the builder, you are getting the builder's work checked out and this includes any electrical work. Ask him if he's registered with either RECI or ECSSA, both are available to check work and/or mediate in disputes.

Don't make it personal and if the work is cleared pay him the money upon receipt of the VAT invoice and cert.

Advertisement