Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a small business network

• 19-03-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,896 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking to set up a small business network (8-10 computers and a printer). Will be wireless and deciding on the hardware. So far, looking to have all Windows 7 machines.

Does anyone have advice on the best way to setup the network?

I have been looking at HomeGroup on Windows 7. Would this be suitable for a business network?

Would I be right in thinking I should be creating a Domain?

Just looking to have a server with our main files and the user machines having access to certain files.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

If you are going to have files & folder permissions as well as possibly setting group policies, then a domain might suit you. However, a domain is not just plug and play you will have to learn (or buy) the skills to use it. (on saying that though, I have taught some definite non technical people to manage one, and they rarely call anymore..)

Have a look at Small Business Server, it bundles all the major components you need for setting up a small network.

I also wouldn't setup any network as wireless, I would always Cable it.. that could however be just my old way of thinking but I prefer the security of cables and switch's.

If it was me, than I would definitely go for a domain, but a Work group could suffice too if you were going to keep it very simple with everyone sharing files & printers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

as far as I remember there is a limit to the amount of connections that can be made in an XP machine as it wasn't designed to be a server replacement product, now I know that that is in relation to XP and not windows 7 but you may have the same problems if you try and use a windows 7 machine as a server replacement.

I would also suggest getting a windows Small Business server instead and I would also go for good old fashion cabling as oppose to wireless as well for speed, reliability and security's sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Matt O Connor

as far as I remember there is a limit to the amount of connections that can be made in an XP machine as it wasn't designed to be a server replacement product, now I know that that is in relation to XP and not windows 7 but you may have the same problems if you try and use a windows 7 machine as a server replacement.

You are correct, XP pro has a limit of 10 simultaneous connections for network shares.

I think Windows 7's limit has been increased to 20 connections for network / printer shares, in both PRO & Ultimate. Not sure about home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

If your going the domain route, remember to get Win7 pro or ultimate. Home does not support domains.

You would also be best having the printer as a network printer. Not one connected to a PC that is shared out. As no one will have access if the PC isn't on. Using your "File server" as the print server too. SBS (Small business Server) will more than likely by your best option for this.

Just make sure you set good security on your wireless lan when setting it up.

Basics are not to call your SSID you company/departments name
    Set random passwords for the encryption. Numbers and letters but try not use words.
    Also change the password on the router it's self. As well as what the router is called.

As well as all that, dont have your server on a wireless connection. A file server should always be on the fastest connection you can give it (Connected to your wireless router/Switch directly) So that you are not limiting the speed of accessing files on it.

If you do go the domain route. Only have one Admin on it. That being the Administrator account for the domain. Too often I go into a small business and find that half the staff have admin rights on the domain. If people need to install programs on their PC's, add their Domain account into the PC's local admin group. That way if they mess anything up, its only their local PC.
    But thats not the best soloution as then misc software can install its self on the system when the user is logged on. But its better than having Admin rights on every pc on the network.

Advertisement