Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayfield

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Is Byefield up near the Cotton Ball bar? If it is I'd say avoid the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

What's the Mayfield area of Cork City like?

Thinking of moving in to a rental property in the Byefield area of Mayfield.

Just don't, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mayfield is absolutely grand, very nice overall - it covers a fairly substantial area by Cork standards, and a couple of tough-ish estates hardly makes the whole place a dodgy area. The part by The Cotton Ball is lovely and has undergone regeneration in recent years.

Dudess wrote: »
    Mayfield is absolutely grand, very nice overall - it covers a fairly substantial area by Cork standards, and a couple of tough-ish estates hardly makes the whole place a dodgy area. The part by The Cotton Ball is lovely and has undergone regeneration in recent years.

You obviously live in Mayfield, then? :rolleyes: Yes, some parts are nice - near the library for instance, but mostly it's worse than Beirut. Just because an area is regenerated doesn't mean the scumbags have gone... Avoid like the plague!

colblimp wrote: »
    You obviously live in Mayfield, then? :rolleyes:
    Nope - although an opinion on it offered by someone who actually lives there would surely be of more value than one offered by someone who doesn't live there?
    mostly it's worse than Beirut.
    Not really, no.
    Just because an area is regenerated doesn't mean the scumbags have gone
    Most of it isn't affected by "scumbags".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Thinking of moving in to a rental property in the Byefield area of Mayfield.

You could definately do better op, wouldn't be keen on living there myself.

I don't live in Mayfield, but I live quite close and am a member of Mayfield gym so I am aware of the problems Mayfield has, which are caused by scumbags, many of whom are totally lawless!

The part by The Cotton Ball is lovely and has undergone regeneration in recent years.

Are you serious?.... Across the road from the Cotton Ball is Glenamoy Lawn,How can you call that lovely. A stones throw from there is Ballinderry Pk, Corrib Lawn, Annalee Grove and Lagan Grove these places are the worst Cork has to offer.

Yes, those are tough spots - nobody is saying to live in them though. That part of Old Youghal Road is greatly improved: Ard Bhaile etc. And what about the other nice parts of Mayfield - Iona Road? Silversprings/Silverheights? A lot of Mayfield blends into Ballyvolane, Tivoli, Montenotte and Glanmire - some of Cork's most sought-after areas. It's not just the bit by the library that's nice. Most of Mayfield is absolutely fine - there can be some scaremongering about the place just because of those estates, when overall it's a nice area.
    I don't live in Mayfield, but I live quite close and am a member of Mayfield gym so I am aware of the problems Mayfield has, which are caused by scumbags, many of whom are totally lawless!
    I live close to Mayfield also - Dillon's Cross direction - and I observe regularly how much it has improved. I drove from Glanmire to Dillon's Cross (pretty much the "width" of Mayfield) last night (about 8.30/9.00) - and I did not see one indication of it being rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

What area you gonna be working in? I would avoid Mayfield, myself.

• Advertisement

That's like saying "I would avoid Douglas" or "I would avoid Bishopstown" - narrow it down maybe?

That's like saying "I would avoid Douglas" or "I would avoid Bishopstown" - narrow it down maybe?

I wouldn't live in Mayfield because, as people say, it does have a high ratio of louts. Further to that, all the local pubs are dives, and there are few amenities: the library is badly underfunded, no lout-free parks (the tank field is the only one i can think of), considerable distance from town, though there is a pool/gym and the number 8 is regular.

I wouldn't live in Douglas, either, but there are plenty of local shops, restaurants and (nice) pubs.

There are two places that I would consider on the northside, St.Lukes and Sunday's Well. And nowhere else.

With places like Douglas and Bishopstown you can narrow it down to a couple of estates but with Mayfield there's around 20 estates that are holes.
    In fairness thats a small part of Mayfield though and the op was asking about the Byefield area which after looking on google maps is behind the Cotton Ball and is vastly different to the aera above it imo.
    I'd live there but that's not saying much :D

I live close to Mayfield also - Dillon's Cross direction

Ooh, I'm in Dillon's Cross!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

In general it is ok.
    Pros:
    The transport system is regular and is free of trouble. The no.8 bus runs from Mayfield to the CUH and close enough to CIT. The old youghal rd runs right through the heart of it and a lot of folks use this rd to regularly do walking exercises, walk dogs etc with no problems from anyone.

There is a well stocked and run Centra, a decent butchers shop, a couple of banks, a credit union, good barbers (personal experience) and the Cotton Ball is a v professionally run good pub which attracts a variety of clientele (all good).

Cons:
    I find that as soon as it gets dark or darkish, or at times when the schools are off it gets a little bit messy due to bored teens. But again they don't really bother anyone as such, 'mostly'.

There is however 'in my opinion' a feeling of low self esteem about the area which is kind of unhealthy. Plus because of the councils policy of housing, there are unfortunately some folks of a certain community that are settled there who still exhibit antisocial behaviour.

Wanna head to the Fob & Gill for drinkies? :pac:

Wanna head to the Rob & Kill for drinkies? :pac:
    Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I would avoid to be honest - you could do a lot better. In fact if you want to live in the Northside (god know's why!!:D) You could do a lot worse that Ballyvolane.

Where is the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I live in mayfield and the vast majority of the areas there are fine! Don't listen to people telling you to avoid the place etc - most of these people are just going on the "reputation" it has which incidentally most other suberbs in cork city have also. There was a time when it used to be a pretty bad area and that idea seems to have stuck but it's not as bad I don't think as it was! I've lived here all my life and never had a problem anyway!

Don't get me wrong there are definitely dodge areas that are known for being just that but the vast majority is fine!

Where you mention byefield there wad a time when it would have been plagued by teens especially by the 'four posts' - people who live in mayfield will know where I mean but it's no where near as bad as it was.

As for the pubs wouldn't be going into the cow or the fob too often....er...but the cotton is a lovely pub- they don't take any crap in there anymore - used to be kinda rough

well that's my two cents!

• Advertisement

Just wanted to mention that I went to school there, know many people there. I know the place inside-out.

Thanks.

Just wanted to mention that I went to school there, know many people there. I know the place inside-out.

Thanks.

oh I'm sure you do and if you do you'd know that it's not at all as bad as it's made out to be - bottom line is there are, of course, areas you should avoid in every suberb as you'll always get idiots who give the area a bad name but most of mayfield is fine - OP don't be put off

leahyl wrote: »
    oh I'm sure you do and if you do you'd know that it's not at all as bad as it's made out to be - bottom line is there are, of course, areas you should avoid in every suberb as you'll always get idiots who give the area a bad name but most of mayfield is fine - OP don't be put off

No, I simply wouldn't live there. To say it's not as bad as it's made out to be, is to say that it's not as bad as a place with a K in it's name or F, or maybe T. But that's not saying much about the place, when you have to judge it against the lowest common denominator.

No, I simply wouldn't live there. To say it's not as bad as it's made out to be, is to say that it's not as bad as a place with a K in it's name or F, or maybe T. But that's not saying much about the place, when you have to judge it against the lowest common denominator.

Fair enough we'll just have to agree to disagree - the thing is there is no area in the suberbs that is free of anti social behaviour albeit that some areas don't have as much as others. Can I ask what area you live in? Or am I prying too much;)

I grew up in the St.Lukes area, but I live in Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

im a stones throw away from dillons cross !

Wanna head to the Fob & Gill for drinkies? :pac:

The Fob and Gill? Not a hope - I value my life! :D

im a stones throw away from dillons cross !

Cool, that's 3 of us living close. Perhaps we should set up a Dillon's Cross sub-group?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I'm sure parts of Mayfield are fine, but if your not working very close by there are certainly better parts of Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I grew up there, mother still lives in the council estates,

You won't get trouble unless you go looking for it

bus service ain't great often packed and late especialy from the city up - so your better off driving

only times I've had hassle off scum use to be on the bus or just after getting off
    as I used finish work and collage pretty late 7-10pm
    I used come across a'holes trying to mouth off

as it's been said bored kids cause the trouble,
    for such a big area there really is nothing to do till your over 18
    and can afford to travel around the rest of the city and get yourself a car

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement