Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FADC Ultra on stick

Options
  • 20-03-2010 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Ok, so, I'm doing pretty damn good on stick so far if I say so myself! But one thing I CANNOT do for the life of me is FADC Ultra (QCFx2) on p1 side

How I hold the stick is as follows ; I grip the stick between my pinky and ring finger and then use my first three fingers on side of stick, and thumb on top for movement.

On P2 side doing QCFs, I use my thumb the whole way through, like I push to f + p with my thumb. Sound normal. But on P1 side for some reason I use my palm to do QCF, while maintaining same grip

I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong, and it's really upsetting me at this stage, I feel like I've hit a wall I can't overcome, and I felt I was doing good on this thing xD

Again, when I dash on the P2 side, I use my thumb but on P1 side I use my palm. That's where the problem lies, on P1 side I;m hitting SRK all with my palm, then dashing with palm, then I have to do 2xQCF with my palm, its so much work

Like I messed around with different grips and this is the one I like most. E.G; When doing SRK I will push forward on stick with my palm, down with my palm ten DF with my palm, and I miss the fadc dash like 9/10 times, my hand just can't do it that many times

Any tips or past experiences with said problem?

I seriously felt like ****ing the thing out the window :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ramza wrote: »
    Ok, so, I'm doing pretty damn good on stick so far if I say so myself! But one thing I CANNOT do for the life of me is FADC Ultra (QCFx2) on p1 side

How I hold the stick is as follows ; I grip the stick between my pinky and ring finger and then use my first three fingers on side of stick, and thumb on top for movement.

On P2 side doing QCFs, I use my thumb the whole way through, like I push to f + p with my thumb. Sound normal. But on P1 side for some reason I use my palm to do QCF, while maintaining same grip

I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong, and it's really upsetting me at this stage, I feel like I've hit a wall I can't overcome, and I felt I was doing good on this thing xD

Again, when I dash on the P2 side, I use my thumb but on P1 side I use my palm. That's where the problem lies, on P1 side I;m hitting SRK all with my palm, then dashing with palm, then I have to do 2xQCF with my palm, its so much work

Like I messed around with different grips and this is the one I like most. E.G; When doing SRK I will push forward on stick with my palm, down with my palm ten DF with my palm, and I miss the fadc dash like 9/10 times, my hand just can't do it that many times

Any tips or past experiences with said problem?

I seriously felt like ****ing the thing out the window :mad:

I find this happens when I am not resting my hand on the stick itself correctly from one side. I know you're executions good enough for me not to have to tell you to seperate it into 2 parts and make sure the FADC is working correctly first etc.

But I think the problem you're having is that you don't have the control in your palm you do with fingers with some proper anchoring on the stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

It took me about 8 months to get it down, not that i could even do it on a pad. Thats pretty pathetic really so you might get it down quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have this exact same problem.
    I think the thing to remember is that SFIV is SUPER lenient on inputs. So with Ryu, you can do your SRK, dash, wait for a whole second, then Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Would changing gates make a diff? I was using a Seimitsu stick last week and I liked it too, but I'd need to use both for a while to compare

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Changing the gate might make it WORSE.

Just practice IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ramza wrote: »
    Would changing gates make a diff? I was using a Seimitsu stick last week and I liked it too, but I'd need to use both for a while to compare

I agree with kiki. People are waaaay to quick to start messing with their sticks before they've gotten to grips with them properly. I don't play shoto and I can FADC ultra with any of my sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Ramza I know you appreciate bluntness , so I'll be blunt.

STFU with this 'hit a wall' stuff man. Your on a stick what... a week?

Its standard to go from pad to stick to find qcf motions on p1 side iffy at first you'll get it eventually just like I did.

Your hand just has to get used to moving that fast, its a much slower movement pushing forward like that compared to what you have to do for QCF on 2p side.

Try rolling your fingers so it kinda pushes it down forward. Make sure to hit that corner.

Your not gonna get it right away but it'll come. Your way ahead of where was at a week in thats for damn sure.

And you can already do some stuff that I can't like akumas early air fireballs. Dunno how the hell I can get them on stick.

So easy with a d-pad.

As for changing gates. I played with a square for months, only got the octo going this week. I'm gonna flick back and forth a bit before what I decide to stay with, I am liking the octo though but the sanwa square is still far better then the madcatz ****e I was using for months.

Really should have gone sanwa much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Sisko wrote: »
    Ramza I know you appreciate bluntness , so I'll be blunt.

STFU with this 'hit a wall' stuff man. Your on a stick what... a week?

Its standard to go from pad to stick to find qcf motions on p1 side iffy at first you'll get it eventually just like I did.

Your hand just has to get used to moving that fast, its a much slower movement pushing forward like that compared to what you have to do for QCF on 2p side.

Try rolling your fingers so it kinda pushes it down forward. Make sure to hit that corner.

Your not gonna get it right away but it'll come. Your way ahead of where was at a week in thats for damn sure.

And you can already do some stuff that I can't like akumas early air fireballs. Dunno how the hell I can get them on stick.

So easy with a d-pad.

As for changing gates. I played with a square for months, only got the octo going this week. I'm gonna flick back and forth a bit before what I decide to stay with, I am liking the octo though but the sanwa square is still far better then the madcatz ****e I was using for months.

Really should have gone sanwa much sooner.

Thanks for the post man. What do you mean by roll fingers? Ah sure I spose I'm just being a bitch about it, was reading threads on SRK/NE and people were saying it took them fooking ages to get **** down on stick and it requires patience and persistence. My only kind of problem was that like it felt I would never get it since I spent literally since we stopped playing earlier till now practicing it, a part of me was like "you'll never get it". I was convinced I was actually holding and executing stuff wrong, even though there is no real wrong

Like you posted some **** I'm just good at, like I spent ages this week practicing stick and overall its much more fun and accurate imo anyway. It's just tiger knee fireballs with Gouki (DB, D, DF, F, U + jab)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I used to have the same issue with FADC on p1 side. I think it's completely natural, the human wrist is designed (ahem evolved :p) to move in certain ways which seems to make it easier to do things on p2 side. At least thats how i feel.

I do ultra from the p2 side using a wrist motion and I used to do ultra on the p1 side using more of an arm motion. Lately I've trained myself to do ultra on p1 side using a wrist motion and thats seems to have solved my problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Sisko wrote: »

A lot of people say you have to delay the punch input a tiny bit or it won't come out so they do db, d, df, f, uf, f and punch. the additional forward input sets the timing correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Right cause after ramzas post I tried it with akuma right away in training mode, and all that would happen is normal standing fireballs.

Even though the input displayed upforward punch. Was pretty annoying.

I tried delaying it and all akuma would do is jump forward in the air and punch like a feckin eejit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Funny, I'm always much more likely to screw up my motions on P2 side.

Maybe I'm just weird - wouldn't be the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

you said you where getting frustrated? Main thing to do is relax :P

go on the P1 side or P2 where ever you feel comphy do the move you would do to dash cancel but dont ultra do this ALOT... because you will get more comfortable with the move and the dash.. when you think you have the move and the FADC down.. try the ultra..

I dont play the stick that much but I can dash cancel to land ultra's after a FADC by doing this in practice

Hopefully this helps =]

Advertisement