Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decent electric guitar for my five year old?

• 20-03-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

My eldest will be five soon and always wants a go on my guitars so it's time she got one of her own. Are there any decent kids size electric guitars out there? I don't want her getting some Hannah Montana yoke thats really just a toy with expensive marketing, I'd like her to get something half decent to learn on. I know she'd go nuts for something like the 'Hello Kitty' Strat but its full size - anyone have any good suggestions for something smaller?

Actually, does anywhere in Dublin stock Daisy Rock guitars?

PS I'm an accousticaphobic and learned (allegedly) on the electric, and so far like her Dad she has no interest in my accoustic either, so for now it's electric only!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I bought one of these a couple of years ago for my son who was 8 at the time

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Flying-VeeWee-Guitar-Package?sku=518339

I got it for €70 special offer including a small practice amp, great deal. I still see the odd one here and there in music shops, if you come across it it's definitely worth a look. It's half-size, pretty solid, has a reasonable sound and stays in tune well if you tune it a couple of full tones above standard. The only down side is that the Flying V shape can be a little awkward to play sitting down - and there's only one pickup, but I don't think that would bother a 5 year-old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

Thats exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for Mr Slim, I'll get googling and see if anywhere has 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I'm pretty surre I saw one in McGoldrick's in Navan recently, if that's any good. Give them a call

http://www.goldenpages.ie/Musical_Instruments/McGoldrick_Music/IE_20167513_9999_2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

boycey wrote: »
    Actually, does anywhere in Dublin stock Daisy Rock guitars?

I'm pretty sure Music Maker used to stock them, I havent been in there for a while.

There is a place in Dun Laoghaire called Crystal Music, I bought my daughter a spanish guitar there, I don't know much about guitars but they had one similar to this for €99.

!BjWUJnQBmk~$(KGrHqUH-C0Es+GvvtgGBLTNVy6L6!~~_12.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Uncle Buck

I bought a guitar recently off a guy who did the same thing but didn't want the 1/2 or 3/4 size option but a full scale. Not sure if his kid was as young as 5. Oh yeah, the guitar? A Hohner G3T. These can be hard to find at reasonable money, but if you can find one it is ideal and will a) Hold it's resale value better and b) Be an extra toy for Daddy when Junior sleeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

My son is the opposite, goes nuts when he sees my acoustic and always wants to pick it up and pluck the strings. He isn't two years old, yet we got him a tiny little wooden one with nylon strings and I kid you not he took to putting the guitar on his knee, plucking the strings and singing along. Obiously he was just humming a tune as he can't speak properly yet! Anyway, would you believe, I'm sure I saw something you might like in Smyths toy store:

http://www.smyths.ie/Burswood-30-Electric-Guitar-!F01537-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=0750b26d-dea6-4023-ac48-e1d4dafcfbb4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I played this ( http://www.smyths.ie/Burswood-31-ST-Style-Electric-Guitar-!D04662-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=014097a0-8e65-432a-bf53-8bd58dcfce05 ) in smyths in tallaght and i thought it was brilliant, wanted to buy it myself and im at it 8 years now!!

Thanks lads, very helpful.

I rang that shop in Nyavan BlackHorseSlim but unfortunately they're out of stock, thanks for the heads up though, very helpful.

I'll take a spin down to Smiths tomorrow and check out those Burswoods, I'll bring the pocket pod with me and try one out.

I know as soon as I get her a guitar its gonna be all "Dad, how do I play 'The Best of Both Worlds' by Hannah Montana". Hope she likes it!

Thanks again for all the replies, Aoife says thanks too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

boycey wrote: »

I know as soon as I get her a guitar its gonna be all "Dad, how do I play 'The Best of Both Worlds' by Hannah Montana". Hope she likes it!

Suuurrrrreee.... any excuse to learn it ;)

• Advertisement

king-stew wrote: »
    Suuurrrrreee.... any excuse to learn it ;)

Like I haven't already?!!! It took me a while but I think I've nailed it.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Boycey, I have a kids size Sunburst LP that I got for my son. He's not so interested in it(and now too big for it) but it's a good guitar. I'm sure he'd do you a good deal ;)

It's this guitar but in a cherry burst:
    http://www.dv247.com/guitars/tanglewood-ee-15-kids-electric-guitar-honey-sunburst--46916

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

You should make a deal that if you get her the guitar, you play her some good music :P Always good to get them interested when they're young, and it's less likely to be a fad present she gets sick of.

Also I'd recommend maybe trying to pick up a second hand Roland Microcube or similar(Can go for about €50) - again when you have different switches and knobs it's a lot more entertaining for a 5 year old.

Dragging this one back to life!
    Finally made it down to Smiths this afternoon and we bought her the Burswood, and a whole load of Hannah Montana stickers to decorate it - you could say she got the best of both worlds..ba dum tish...:D

On a funny note (to me anyway!) I always alternate between plec and fingers, and usually have the plec stickin out of my gob when I'm not using it, not the most hygenic I know but that's us Donegal heads for ya. So after flailing away on her new guitar for half an hour singing 'The Climb' she asked me could she try using the plec, and I was thinking 'Well, there's some development already' in a proud Dad way. So she rams the plec in her gob and proceeds to flail away with her fingers!! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree eh?!!

Thanks for the advice lads, and Ste - she just didn't like that cool wee Les Paul your lad had -I was tryin to talk her into it!

Advertisement