Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ Spare Ribs

Options
  • 20-03-2010 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hi! Can anyone give me a good receipe for BBQ Spare Ribs??

Got them the other day from the butcher, and they were horrible! They came with a little amount of bbq sauce on them, which pretty much burnt off during cooking!

I love them from the Chinese, but would love to be able to do them myself!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

So would i

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The wayI do ribs is simmer them for an hour or so, or pressure cook for 15mins drain,cool and then apply the sauce/marinade.
    then oven bake them for about 25 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Does anyone have a good recipe for the marinade?

I know that it contains (for example) tomato ketchup or paste, soy sauce, treacle/honey, chilli powder etc, but I don't know the ratios!!

To the OP - i think you're supposed to boil/simmer ribs first, then coat them with the marinade and then put them in the oven. This is how they end up falling off the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hey thanks for the advice!

Ya if anyone has a good receipe for the marinate I would really appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I mastered these a long time ago. After you cover them in BBQ sauce make a pocket (envelope) out of tinfoil and put them in it.Seal it all round and bake in your over. The ribs will fall off the bone. I don't recommend boiling them fist.

Few ideas here http://www.divinedinnerparty.com/homemade-barbeque-sauce.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I mastered these a long time ago. After you cover them in BBQ sauce make a pocket (envelope) out of tinfoil and put them in it.Seal it all round and bake in your over. The ribs will fall off the bone. I don't recommend boiling them fist.

Thats good but you don't get the slightly crispy caramelisation that you do with uncovered oven cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Kimia wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good recipe for the marinade?

I know that it contains (for example) tomato ketchup or paste, soy sauce, treacle/honey, chilli powder etc, but I don't know the ratios!!

To the OP - i think you're supposed to boil/simmer ribs first, then coat them with the marinade and then put them in the oven. This is how they end up falling off the bone.

I use 3/3/2/1 of Sugar, vinegar, ketchup and soy as a base. You can replace sugar with honey or maple syrup if you like.

Chope some garlic and ginger, and fry gently. Add the liquids, stir, and leave to simmer & reduce until it starts to thicken.

You can beef it up with chilli, or chilli powder. Smoked salt or paprika also work well in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Simmer ribs in beer, then baste and roast until the sauce starts to caremalise.

Alternately, roast at a lower temp (140 to 160) for up to 2 hours, then add sauce and finish as above.

I use the former approach for a charcoal grill. The latter is more for the oven or a gas grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Cheers for the tips everyone, they are really helpful, going to try them out soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I've made these a couple of times. The first time they were absolutely awful and they second time they turned out delish.

The first ones I made were with ribs from Superquinn. I parboiled them first and then baked them for what should have been long enough. They were still tough as old boots and inedibly salty.

The second time they were lovely. I bought them in Dunnes (they have pre-packaged pork ribs for €5) and baked for 90 minutes at 180 degrees. They were still juicy and the meat came away from the bone nicely.

However, I put the sauce on them before baking and during baking the ribs threw off a lot of liquid and fat, which washed away most of the sauce. The next time I'll bake them as-is and then coat them in sauce and grill for a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

hjat sauce
    I've made these a couple of times. The first time they were absolutely awful and they second time they turned out delish.

The first ones I made were with ribs from Superquinn. I parboiled them first and then baked them for what should have been long enough. They were still tough as old boots and inedibly salty.

The second time they were lovely. I bought them in Dunnes (they have pre-packaged pork ribs for €5) and baked for 90 minutes at 180 degrees. They were still juicy and the meat came away from the bone nicely.

However, I put the sauce on them before baking and during baking the ribs threw off a lot of liquid and fat, which washed away most of the sauce. The next time I'll bake them as-is and then coat them in sauce and grill for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭duracell_bunny

I make these a lot for my oh. I put the ribs in a pyrex dish and cover them with tin foil - cook them at about 200 celsius for an hour. Then drain off the fat/juices, put in for a half hour uncovered. This helps to crisp them up. During this half hour, I pour off any juices every now and then to help the crisping process. Then finally, I pour over the sauce and finish them off for about 15 - 20 mins uncovered. The meat falls of the bone, they have a crispy outer layer and the sauce is really goey. mmmm I think I'll have to make these tonight now!

Edited to say - these are really chunky spare ribs from my local butchers. Some pieces actually turn out not to have any bone in them, they're just big chunks of meat. The above might not work for the supermarket ribs that hardly have any meat on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pork Ribs (not Bacon Ribs), a bottle of this....

cattlebarb.jpg

....and a really long slow cook in the oven. :pac:

Just on the Cattleman's Sauce....has anybody seen this around anywhere? Superquinn used to do it but haven't seen it in there in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I use Jamie Olivers recipes for ribs / meat / chicken....i think its delish !!

4/5 cloves
    1 tsp cumin
    2 tbls fennel seeds
    1 tsp black pepper
    2/3 tsp salt
    handful of fresh rosemary
    10 bay leaves
    thyne
    1 whole bulb of garlic
    peeled rind of an orange
    4 tsp smoked paprika
    half bottle of balsmic vinegar
    juice of 1 orange
    whole bottle of organic ketchup
    olive oil.

Lakeshore Sticky Hickory Barbeque Sauce is amazing - it has a really smoky flavour.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Pork Ribs (not Bacon Ribs), a bottle of this....

cattlebarb.jpg

....and a really long slow cook in the oven. :pac:

Just on the Cattleman's Sauce....has anybody seen this around anywhere? Superquinn used to do it but haven't seen it in there in ages.

Fresh Supermarket in Smithfield Square do it - or did up till two weeks ago. Haven't been in there in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I make these a lot for my oh. I put the ribs in a pyrex dish and cover them with tin foil - cook them at about 200 celsius for an hour. Then drain off the fat/juices, put in for a half hour uncovered. This helps to crisp them up. During this half hour, I pour off any juices every now and then to help the crisping process. Then finally, I pour over the sauce and finish them off for about 15 - 20 mins uncovered. The meat falls of the bone, they have a crispy outer layer and the sauce is really goey. mmmm I think I'll have to make these tonight now!

Edited to say - these are really chunky spare ribs from my local butchers. Some pieces actually turn out not to have any bone in them, they're just big chunks of meat. The above might not work for the supermarket ribs that hardly have any meat on them.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom! :D I'll try them out this way the next time.
    BaZmO* wrote: »

I think I remember reading that Cattlemen's make Domino's BBQ dip. That could be complete nonsense, though. But it might be worth checking, nonetheless.

My sis made a fabulous smoky BBQ sauce recently with a tin of tomatoes, molasses (there's lots of sugar in that thar sauce), chipotle peppers (dried, from the Tesco Ingredients range) and random spices.

I also make a nice one before with bourbon whisky and maple syrup (for chicken wings).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 imincanada

I'm going to tesco to get ingredients-- now

Jesus i'm starving after reading this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

My recipe for sauce:

honey mustard
    ketchup
    vinegar
    tabasco
    pepper
    chilli flakes
    Worcestershire sauce

No exact measurements, you'll know when it's right.

For the ribs i cook them in a casserole dish with chopped onions and garlic, covered with beer in the oven for an hour at 100 C. i then leave the ribs aside for later, then i coat them with my sauce and away you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lorraine8210

I made them last night just how you said and they were perfect couldn't possibly have come out better so thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I simmer them in beer with onion, garlic and herbs for about 1/2 an hour.
    I then reduce the beer right down and use it as a base for the BBQ sauce which contains onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, orange rind, apple juice, chilli powder, honey, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika (and probably a few other bits I can't remember).
    Coat the ribs in sauce and cook in a fairly hot oven for another half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you like chinese ribs get hoi sin sauce, I got wing yip brand in tesco, it was a lot nicer than the sharwoods one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Firblog

I'm one of the worst cooks ever.. found this recipie, ( http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-bbq-spare-ribs ) and have gotten it right every time since. I've always put them on the BBQ for a while at the end to make them crispier..

BTW: Recommend using belly pork rather than the boney ribs like you get in the takeaways..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I made these in September last year, after buying some really excellent, meaty ribs from my local butcher - I got them as a single piece and asked him to skin the piece.

Took the rib piece and cut it into large chunks of two to three ribs each. Wrapped them in tinfoil (made two packages) - thickly wrapped, so they're well sealed. Into the oven at 175 degrees for 90 minutes in their foil packages in a roasting dish. No fan on the oven, so just heat, no fan.

After 90 mins, took them out and took them off the foil and returned them to the roasting dish they were in. Allowed to cool slightly.

In a bowl, mixed up:

1 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup tomato ketchup
    1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup dark rum
    chili sauce to taste
    1 tsp mustard powder
    1 tsp chili powder
    2 cloves of crushed garlic (or 2 tsps of garlic puree)
    A good grind of black pepper

Mix the marinade thoroughly and pour the entire lot over the ribs into that roasting pan. Turn the ribs to coat them. Allow them to sit in the sauce, flipping at least once, for about 15 mins to half an hour. Return to the oven and bake for about 30 mins, constantly basting over and over in the marinade. It thickens into a dark, sweet, sticky moreishness, and the rib meat falls off bones that are nearly soft enough to crumble.

Firblog wrote: »
    BTW: Recommend using belly pork rather than the boney ribs like you get in the takeaways..

Then they wouldn't be ribs.
    They's be BBQ pork belly (nice too but not ribs).

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Have several recipes for ribs . Heres an easy one for at home. Will post others as well later.

1. Cut ure ribs into individual pieces and put in a good size pot.
    2. Put enough water to just cover the ribs
    3. Add a tin of shop bought Hoi Sin sauce
    4. Add a spoon of salt 4 spoons of sugar
    5. Add full head of garlic chopped and a couple of pieces of ginger
    6. Add 4or 5 star anise and 3 or 4 bay leaves

taste the liquid and add more salt and sugar to taste

Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins. turn off heat and leave to rest in pot for another 30 mins
    Remove the ribs from the liquid and leave to cool
    Keep the liquid. You can use it as a sauce to go with the ribs. Just add a little dark soy , heat it up and thicken it with potato starch mixed with a little water. season if needed with salt and sugar.

To serve the ribs simply pop them into a very hot oven for 7 to 10 mins or deep fry them for 2 or 3 mins. serve drizzled with honey or with the reserved cooking sauce .

This is the simplest of recipes and works really well. will post another which slow roasts them later

ENJOY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Firblog

Then they wouldn't be ribs.
    They's be BBQ pork belly (nice too but not ribs).

Ye see... this is why i'm the worst cook ever! Get confused by even the most basic instructions lol...

Firblog wrote: »
    Ye see... this is why i'm the worst cook ever! Get confused by even the most basic instructions lol...

I wouldn't get hung up on technicalities.
    Cook the food you like. If you like BBQ pork belly over ribs, that's fine.
    It's just terminology.
    You can be a fantastic cook with no correct terminology - it just makes it difficult to discuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

1 full rack of pork ribs with all the meat on, not stripped (makes all the difference)

olive oil & pepper to coat

half a bag of muscavado sugar
    about a cup of red wine vinegar
    same of tomato sauce or 1/4 cup of tomato puree
    2 heaped tsp. english mustard
    half a cup of honey
    3 tbps worcestersostershire sauce
    1 dessert spoon of smoked paprika

turn your oven up to 220c to preheat and then as you put the ribs in, turn down to 120c and leave it there.

okay, so dead simple, but takes time to do it right but so unbelievably worth it you'll never do them any other way. :)

so, find a nice big tray to lay your ribs flat in, cutting off the end if required.

drizzle with olive oil and season with plenty of fresh black pepper (no salt), then throw them in the top of the pre-heated oven and turn down the heat immediately after closing the door.

give them 10-15 minutes until you start to see the sticky up bits turning in colour and whip them out quickly (so the heat doesn't escape the oven and turn them over and then back in again for 10-15 minutes more.

then throw all the other ingredients into a bowl and mix up ready to baste the ribs.

from now on, you're going to quickly pull out the ribs every 20-30 minutes and turn & baste them and back in the oven again.

make sure you glob big thick amounts of the marinade on top so it pools and can thicken up and caramelise in the oven. some of the marinade will be leaking off and cooking out on the bottom (and eventually burning) but just mop up what you can before it goes too dark and reuse it on the ribs as you're basting.

it takes 4-6 good bastes to get the proper coating on the ribs, but trust me its worth it and the meat will fall off the bone. once they're done, just cut them into strips in between each rib with a good knife and baste some of the marinade onto the fresh cut sides and you're all done.

every time i do them (they're kind of my party piece) and a batch of buffalo wings (ala the franks sauce recipe) i keep getting told i should open a restaurant so i must be doing something right. :)

also, if you have some extra marinade and you're doing wings, try cooking out the marinade and tossing a batch of freshly cooked wings in it for anyone who might not like the spicy franks wings, it goes just as well on wings as it does ribs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

vibe666 wrote: »
    1 full rack of pork ribs with all the meat on, not stripped (makes all the difference)

olive oil & pepper to coat

half a bag of muscavado sugar
    about a cup of red wine vinegar
    same of tomato sauce or 1/4 cup of tomato puree
    2 heaped tsp. english mustard
    half a cup of honey
    3 tbps worcestersostershire sauce
    1 dessert spoon of smoked paprika

turn your oven up to 220c to preheat and then as you put the ribs in, turn down to 120c and leave it there.

okay, so dead simple, but takes time to do it right but so unbelievably worth it you'll never do them any other way. :)

so, find a nice big tray to lay your ribs flat in, cutting off the end if required.

drizzle with olive oil and season with plenty of fresh black pepper (no salt), then throw them in the top of the pre-heated oven and turn down the heat immediately after closing the door.

give them 10-15 minutes until you start to see the sticky up bits turning in colour and whip them out quickly (so the heat doesn't escape the oven and turn them over and then back in again for 10-15 minutes more.

then throw all the other ingredients into a bowl and mix up ready to baste the ribs.

from now on, you're going to quickly pull out the ribs every 20-30 minutes and turn & baste them and back in the oven again.

make sure you glob big thick amounts of the marinade on top so it pools and can thicken up and caramelise in the oven. some of the marinade will be leaking off and cooking out on the bottom (and eventually burning) but just mop up what you can before it goes too dark and reuse it on the ribs as you're basting.

it takes 4-6 good bastes to get the proper coating on the ribs, but trust me its worth it and the meat will fall off the bone. once they're done, just cut them into strips in between each rib with a good knife and baste some of the marinade onto the fresh cut sides and you're all done.

every time i do them (they're kind of my party piece) and a batch of buffalo wings (ala the franks sauce recipe) i keep getting told i should open a restaurant so i must be doing something right. :)

also, if you have some extra marinade and you're doing wings, try cooking out the marinade and tossing a batch of freshly cooked wings in it for anyone who might not like the spicy franks wings, it goes just as well on wings as it does ribs. :)

All i can say is wow, I followed your instructions to the word. Yes there a fair bit of work involved but my god its worth it the ribs were delicious meat fell of the bone like you said, and the sauce is seriously tasty. My stomach and those who also ate it can not thank you enough. Glowing endorsement :D.

Advertisement