Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any hiking clubs with younger members? (20's)

Options
  • 20-03-2010 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Just wondering whether anyone knows of any hiking clubs that would have younger members, say in their 20's? Iv looked at the list of clubs on the MCI site and emailed a few, but with no success. They all say they have a much older age profile. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind at all hillwalking with an older crowd but as you can imagine if a younger club existed i think id prefer it. I reckon id feel a bit out of place if i was the youngest person on a hike every week!

The college clubs are an obvious one but unfortunately my college doesn't have such a club. The UCD mountaineering club seems to be absolutely perfect for what i'm looking for, but of course like all college clubs they cant allow non-UCD students to join.

Now I suspect that theres a good chance that in reality they don't mind at all non-ucd students coming on the hikes, but as i don't know anyone in the club, i really don't know. So if your in the club and thats the case feel free to PM me! :)

Aside from that, does anyone know of any other suitable hiking clubs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fiokool

Hi,

I am looking for the exact same thing as you, in my 20s myself Its really hard to know what the age profile of a club is with out joining first. I am going for a 10 day trek in june and would like to build up more experience first and would be keen to get involved in the social side of things meet new people etc

I did hear that an oige hillwalking club has a lot of older members ironically! but not sure at all

so any advice would be appreciated

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Poster_Man

Thanks Duckysauce! That group looks really good, I never would have come across it myself! Il definitely go along on one of their hikes and check it out! Are you involved with them yourself?

Fiokool, those are my feelings exactly. Iv been hiking for a while now with a few friends which is great but I really would like to find a club so as to gain some experience and to enjoy the social side of it! I think a lot of people find the same thing. For some reason , many of the hillwalking clubs just don't attract any younger members. And yes, An Oige has one of the oldest groups of all!?! :confused:

I would say unless your lucky enough to be able to join one of the college clubs, you should check out the above group! It seems quite good!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Yeah.. it's worth checking out the Challenge Hikers.. they are a nice bunch. It's not a club as such.. rather a group of like minded people who set up various hikes... great way to meet new people.. the age profile is 20's...
    The hikes can vary from a stroll in the Phoenix park to the Coomloughra Horseshoe in the Reeks.. as varied as that...
    If ye have time come to the table quiz on Wednesday in the city (check out the site for details) and ye'll meet a lot of the crew.
    Enjoy.
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Poster_Man wrote: »
    Thanks Duckysauce! That group looks really good, I never would have come across it myself! Il definitely go along on one of their hikes and check it out! Are you involved with them yourself?

Fiokool, those are my feelings exactly. Iv been hiking for a while now with a few friends which is great but I really would like to find a club so as to gain some experience and to enjoy the social side of it! I think a lot of people find the same thing. For some reason , many of the hillwalking clubs just don't attract any younger members. And yes, An Oige has one of the oldest groups of all!?! :confused:

I would say unless your lucky enough to be able to join one of the college clubs, you should check out the above group! It seems quite good!

hi no not involed most of the hikes they do are in dub/wicklow i am based in the west at the moment , best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I'm in the exact same boat as you guys too, and gave up my search for a 'youg' club a while aglo, The challenge Hikers looks great though!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

duckysauce wrote: »

I can definitely recommend the above also,

I was in the same situation for ages looking for a young hiking club and was pointed to this one,

Went out a few weeks ago to the Lug with them and a great day out,

All very friendly and welcoming people,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

our local scout group, often have a good bit of involvement from younger leaders, friend and parents. Would be a good place to get an idea if any of them do stuff themselves through the group if you get what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

i'm looking for a club with younger people as well- although i'm in mid early 30s so am probably an auld one to you guys! have been out with acara and they're all welllllllllllll into their 40s/50s.. i think it's just a ''sport'' that attracts older people, as ''anyone can do it'' i suppose! i was up in the mourne mountains last weekend with people my own age *(a gang of us justs organised it ourselves) and it was fantastic- 2 x5 hour treks and a big sessiun afterwards... we're swearing that we'll get out more often but i know it wont happen so i'd love to hook up with another group,

will check out that facebook link, tks ducky!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Em well how about I make a radical suggestion? There seems to be a huge demand here for a hiking club for people in their 20s so why don't we set one up?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Em well how about I make a radical suggestion? There seems to be a huge demand here for a hiking club for people in their 20s so why don't we set one up?? :)

Thats a good idea. Provided it caters for the slow moving, slightly overweight closer to 30 than 20 :) No but seriously have always wanted to go hiking but can never get my mates to go as there lazier than i am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fiokool

Hey,

yeah i like the sound of that too. I would be a beginner too we could do a few hills before we start on the mountains! :D

Wow, seems like I'm very much not alone in my search for a club! To all the challenge hikers who posted, thanks! :) I wasn't able to go on the recent hike but will definitely try to make it on the next one, and I would encourage others in the same boat to do the same, seems like a great group!

Thats a great idea and I would definitely support it. Was wondering about it myself when i couldn't find a club. Suppose it would just be a case of setting a time and a place and a route etc and taking it from there....what do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Yeah, i'd be up for this too!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

I'm a bit late joining this thread but I'd be interested in going along if you're setting something up

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Claregracey

Hi guys. Myself and my friend were just talking and saying we'd like to join a hiking group for people in 20's and 30's so decided to google it as she was saying she looked it up online and it seemed to be geared towards older people. We would therefore be very interested in joining your group if it goes ahead. We're both in our 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 daveoconnell

The UL outdoor pursuits club sounds like it ticks all those boxes. It does weekly hill walking/rock climbing trips, caving every wednesday and various trips we go on ourselves. If your interested give me an email dave@ulopc.com . There's a great variance from 18 upwards to about 30 the odd time. Loads of different trips and different people with the opportunity to learn as much or little as you want. Apart from club trips there's always someone knocking about wanting to go for a ridge/walk/climb etc..

Thats if your still looking. Our main activities are in the Munster region but we are often around the country too like glendo, kilkenny, mayo etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Claregracey

We're based in Dublin Dave so we're looking for something local. We're really just looking for a fortnightly/monthly hike around Dublin/Wicklow preferably at weekends. Thanks for letting us know about club though. We're also nearer to 30 than 20 so we would probably feel like the older members of the club!!

Im up in Dublin too, id be up for getting down to Glendalough to log a few walks if ye were still active. We have a wide range generally and you'd never really notice any difference in ages. The some of the people involved in running it are between 25 and 30 and then 18-25. You can trust you wouldnt feel old anyway. If we are heading for walks up this way i'll post em up and ye could join us or something.

However im going to start getting down to Glendo for a few evenings, night nav and some walks if ye were interested

Hi Dave,

I would be interested in Logging some decent hikes, night hikes, Nav etc if you are doing any of it let me know,

Thanks,

• Advertisement

Savage, thats no bother. Im hoping to get my ms assessment over the summer and think about ML training in the future so best to get out and get going soon.. whats ur email?

For anyone else up for it throw down an email address and I'll sort something out

You obviously did not see my posts on MS Assesments a few weeks ago,

I am also anxious to do the MS Assesment but they are not held during the summer so you will have to wait until September or come over to the UK during the summer and just do the ML training there,

I have researched this as best i can and that is all i can come up with,

I am also very anxious to do the ML trianing and then ML Assessment and so on,

Ill PM you my e-mail address,

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hiking is just walking where it's ok to pee. Sometimes old people hike by mistake

:D ah Demetri Martin

oh ya i think i might have seen a few of em but wasnt on for a while then.

I'm farily sure that with the people i can get it organised for during the summer. I have a few people interested in the club and i know there are a coule guides who we go to that are fairly accommodating with this and I'd be confident enough of getting it sorted

Ye great if you think you can organize it,

Id be up for it in the summer anyway

Dave i'm based in Dublin so count me in if your organising anything in wicklow/glendalough etc. Pm'd you my email.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It'd be a pretty good idea to set up a hiking club though wouldn't it? :) Boards.ie Hiking Club?

I'd probably get involved myself, but I'm outa the country for the immediate future.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

jd83 wrote: »
    Thats a good idea. Provided it caters for the slow moving, slightly overweight closer to 30 than 20 :) No but seriously have always wanted to go hiking but can never get my mates to go as there lazier than i am.
    PMSL maybe you could call it the slow moving slightly overweight closer to 30 hiking club. Would be perfect for me to lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The UL outdoor pursuits club sounds like it ticks all those boxes. It does weekly hill walking/rock climbing trips, caving every wednesday and various trips we go on ourselves. If your interested give me an email dave@ulopc.com . There's a great variance from 18 upwards to about 30 the odd time. Loads of different trips and different people with the opportunity to learn as much or little as you want. Apart from club trips there's always someone knocking about wanting to go for a ridge/walk/climb etc..

Thats if your still looking. Our main activities are in the Munster region but we are often around the country too like glendo, kilkenny, mayo etc..

Hi Dave, sounds good. I'm in Limerick and probably will join up if you don't have to be a current UL student.

I have lots of things going on now, but maybe in a month or so, or in September.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pandora_mole

Hi folks, hi Dave,

I'm a bit late posting on here, but I'll PM you my email too. I'm in my mid 20s, I adore all outdoorsy stuff but sadly have let things slip since going to everest base camp when I was a 16 year old (I lived in India as a child so Nepal wasn't that far:D)

Love the Wicklow hikes and a club for younger members is something I have struggled to find in the past 8 years of being in Dublin! Alas, I don't have facebook :confused: so a boards.ie hiking group sounds more fun!

Advertisement